Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windshield Replacement Nightmare - Glass Thickness?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffRens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Windshield Replacement Nightmare - Glass Thickness? Reply with quote

My OE glass was almost installed and decided to pry on it a little and cracked it. Drove all over Tim- Buck- Too (sp?) to find a glass to make a template out of for the local glass shop so they could cut a glass for me . After driving there when they said it was done, and wasn't, Installing the seal and trim... I've now got about 12 hours into the windshield. The problem I've got now is that there's no way the seal will fit in the opening. The glass is completely seated in the seal, the bottom and side edges installed and seated in the opening with the string and plenty of lube, but there is absolutely no way the top edge will push in far enough to seat. I've tried tapping it down with a 3/4 piece of plywood and I know the glass is all the way into the seal on the bottom. I rechecked the glass size and it matches the OE template fine. The only difference is the thickness. The OE glass is about .192 thick, the replacement glass is .263. Fairly noticeable difference. I looks as though the the seal would accommodate the extra thickness and still go all the way on. It's almost like the seal is too thick. Is that possible? ... is there a big difference in the aftermarket seal qualities. Any other thoughts to help? My fingers are ground beef from installing seals/trim. Thanks... Jeff
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshied Replacement Nightmare - Glass Thickness? Reply with quote

Are you sure you have the correct seal? Where did you get it from?

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
JeffRens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshied Replacement Nightmare - Glass Thickness? Reply with quote

JBugs.... It was only $16 shipped. Wonder if its a POS?
JeffRens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshied Replacement Nightmare - Glass Thickness? Reply with quote

I guess my concern is whether the thicker replacement glass could be my problem Again, it seems like it bottoms out in the seal OK. Anybody else used cut glass? Thanks...
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshied Replacement Nightmare - Glass Thickness? Reply with quote

The original glass is 5mm thick. What you have is way too thick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JeffRens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshied Replacement Nightmare - Glass Thickness? Reply with quote

I know it's thicker, but that's the standard laminated glass thickness these days. It bottoms in the seal. Not sure if it is my problem, or would cause a problem..
JeffRens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshied Replacement Nightmare - Glass Thickness? Reply with quote

Still trying to figure this out. Question.... how does the windshield glass fit in the body opening without the seal? Mine matches perfectly flush on the sealing edge on the bottom. My top edge extends about 3/16 past the edge... there is about a 3/16 inch gap between the glass and edge on both bottom corners. Is this a normal variance? Again ,there was no way the top edge would push into the opening,when I attempted to install it or still wondering if I had the wrong or a bad seal. Thanks.... Jeff
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshied Replacement Nightmare - Glass Thickness? Reply with quote

JeffRens wrote:
.......that's the standard laminated glass thickness these days. .....

No it isn't. That's your local glass shop's way of telling you they don't carry the right size so they substituted glass that's too thick. They want you to go away.

If the vertical height of your glass is greater than the height of the window opening, your glass is way too big. The glass has to be smaller than the window opening all the way around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JeffRens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshied Replacement Nightmare - Glass Thickness? Reply with quote

Like how much smaller than the opening? If I could get them to grind the high edge, maybe I can pull it off? I've read other people installing the 7mm vs 5mm glass. It seats into the seal ok. Thanks.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshied Replacement Nightmare - Glass Thickness? Reply with quote

Pictures sure would make it easier to help you.

JeffRens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshied Replacement Nightmare - Glass Thickness? Reply with quote

Thanks.... as soon a I get an extra pair of hands I post some pics.....
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshied Replacement Nightmare - Glass Thickness? Reply with quote

JeffRens wrote:
Like how much smaller than the opening?

Push out one of your side rear quarter windows. Trace the window opening, then lay the glass onto the tracing, centering it. There's the exact amount the window needs to be smaller. The gap will be exactly the same all around.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshied Replacement Nightmare - Glass Thickness? Reply with quote

If you used the original windshield as a template you shouldn't have a problem. What are you using for a rope to install the glass?. The glass I got cut for my 57 was also thicker than original and we got it in no problem

brad
subhuman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Windshied Replacement Nightmare - Glass Thickness? Reply with quote

had the same problem w/ jbug windsheild rubber, ordered one from west coast metric and me and the wife had the winshield installed in under 2 minutes!

you can have everything you want, just don't want so much!

"the wrong way always seems the more reasonable."
george moore

1963 type1
2002 Subaru Wrx

never argue with an idiot, they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
Mark Twain
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JeffRens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshied Replacement Nightmare - Glass Thickness? Reply with quote

I trashed the original windshield removing it trying to save the seal so I don't have it as a template. I'm using weed eater string for the rope. I made a template from a OE glass from what was supposed to be another 56. The cut glass appears real close to the one I used as a pattern,I don't know why it seems too big for the opening. Is there that much variances in OE glass. What's a 58 windshield look like compared to a 56? I wonder if it's actually a glass from an Oval....
Joe Bence
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshied Replacement Nightmare - Glass Thickness? Reply with quote

JeffRens wrote:
What's a 58 windshield look like compared to a 56?

Totally different shape

www.facebook.com/JoeBenceEnterprises
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshied Replacement Nightmare - Glass Thickness? Reply with quote

If you look in the following discussion, there is a samba member that has offered to make and send a template from their original windshield for the cost of postage. This seems like a reasonable thing to do.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=644958
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshied Replacement Nightmare - Glass Thickness? Reply with quote

JeffRens wrote:
I trashed the original windshield removing it trying to save the seal so I don't have it as a template. I'm using weed eater string for the rope. I made a template from a OE glass from what was supposed to be another 56. The cut glass appears real close to the one I used as a pattern,I don't know why it seems too big for the opening. Is there that much variances in OE glass. What's a 58 windshield look like compared to a 56? I wonder if it's actually a glass from an Oval....

Weed eater string comes in all different thicknesses. If the string is too thick, you are going to be fighting it in the corners. That's one area you don't want to fight ANYTHING! You will be putting stresses on the glass in the area that is already seated, AND on the area that you are trying to get to seat. INSTANT crack.
I have a bunch of different thicknesses of string, but they are all nylon style that are plenty strong , yet thin enough that they don't bulge out the seal. 3M makes a great windshield cleaner that I use as a lubricant...but soap and water works well too. Wolfsburg West has a good video they used to send out that describes glass installation. It's the same way I do it. One guy on the inside pulling string, the other on the outside using the palm of their hand to bump the glass while the inside guy is pulling the lip of the seal over the metal edge. You have to work together. If either guy gets ahead of each other something will bind. You guessed it...crack.
Most glass shops in my area have a very small selection of the proper thickness (can't remember what I bought for my last Bus windshields). But they had to order it in, and said that was the last 4' x 8' sheet their supplier had...and they weren't making any more. Great. Good luck!

(My 13 year old is my outside glass helper!)
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield Replacement Nightmare - Glass Thickness? Reply with quote

So was your previous windshield installed with the Jbugs seal that you are trying to install now?

JeffRens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Replacement Nightmare - Glass Thickness? Reply with quote

The one I was using was from WW in a kit. It would've installed if I would have used better lube (like dish soap) instead of KY jelly like I read somebody had recommended and used a little more patience and not pried on it...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: