Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Remotely Piloted Hobbyist Aircraft Recommendations?
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Remotely Piloted Hobbyist Aircraft Recommendations? Reply with quote

Anyone get a drone from Santa? Drones were big at the CES show, and it's got me wanting one. I actually came up with a legitimate use I can sell the wife on: scaring away the geese that crap all over the lawn. That used to be the dog's job, but he tore his knee, so we can't have him barrelling down the hill at top speed. It should be as big as possible, and sturdy. Noisy is probably a good thing for once. It would need to have a control range of at least 200' feet. The cheaper the better, but hopefully under $200. Any advice?

Last edited by Zeen on Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Drone Recommendations? Reply with quote

I'd just hook up a button for the sprinklers to scare them off (assuming you have sprinklers. They make a motion sensor to trigger them when deer are approaching; maybe that might work? Maybe a noisemaker device would also work (google "Bird-X").

Some kids hovered their drone over my private backyard and I called the cops and HOA board to tell them to warn residents this is illegal, and to imply I'd take it down with my 10-gauge if they did it again. I haven't seen it since.

Be a good neighbor!
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Drone Recommendations? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
I'd just hook up a button for the sprinklers to scare them off

Now what fun is that?
I won't fly it over the neighbor's bikini-clad daughters when they are sun bathing on their swim platform. That would be creepy.

Anyone know anything about drones?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Drone Recommendations? Reply with quote

gut a big muffler and listen to the drone........or remove it totaly. as for the bikini klad females........good thing I live at the beach.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Drone Recommendations? Reply with quote

12 gauge aughta do a nice job on the drone
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Drone Recommendations? Reply with quote

In the event you purchase a drone do not cheap out. Get one with audio that way you could holler at the geese. 200 won't get much of a drone esp. if the breeze blows.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Drone Recommendations? Reply with quote

$200 will easily buy a decent beginners quadcopter.
Wont touch the mid-level and nowhere near the professional grade, but a geese chaser can be had for around $100.

I haven't looked in a while, there's a whole bunch out there now...

For a cheapie the Syma X8C looks fun ($87 on Amazon), even has a small camera so you can record the geese's reactions.
200 meter range, large enough it should do alright outside, mostly good reviews.

The vast majority of the quadcopters available are going to be RTF (Ready To Fly), but if you run across one that says ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) skip it. RTF includes everything you need to fly it, ARF usually lacks controller and batteries + charger. Which you can get separately, but if you want simple 's not it.

btw, I don't really like the word 'drone' when referring to hobbyist-level aircraft.
Technically it's correct and a fair number of companies are using it to refer to their products, but eh.
This is a drone.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Drone Recommendations? Reply with quote

windfish wrote:

btw, I don't really like the word 'drone' when referring to hobbyist-level aircraft.
Technically it's correct and a fair number of companies are using it to refer to their products, but eh.
This is a drone.

Agreed-- and THIS is a hoverboard:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not that stupid crap that ROLLS ON THE GROUND and catches fire and explodes.
If it rolls on the ground, STOP CALLING IT A HOVERBOARD!

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Drone Recommendations? Reply with quote

windfish wrote:
$200 will easily buy a decent beginners quadcopter.
Wont touch the mid-level and nowhere near the professional grade, but a geese chaser can be had for around $100.

I haven't looked in a while, there's a whole bunch out there now...

For a cheapie the Syma X8C looks fun ($87 on Amazon), even has a small camera so you can record the geese's reactions.
200 meter range, large enough it should do alright outside, mostly good reviews.

The vast majority of the quadcopters available are going to be RTF (Ready To Fly), but if you run across one that says ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) skip it. RTF includes everything you need to fly it, ARF usually lacks controller and batteries + charger. Which you can get separately, but if you want simple 's not it.

This is a drone.

Thanks much, that looks like just the ticket. The reviews on Amazon indicate it is good in moderate winds, and has good parts support. And it's big enough to harass a goose. I've added it to my wishlist, we'll give someone a chance to get it for my birthday before I just buy it.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Remotely Piloted Hobbyist Aircraft Recommendations? Reply with quote

Harassing wildlife may have criminal consequences...
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Remotely Piloted Hobbyist Aircraft Recommendations? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

Non-migratory giant Canada geese are vermin, and the DNR specifically recommends harassment.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Remotely Piloted Hobbyist Aircraft Recommendations? Reply with quote

Zeen wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

Non-migratory giant Canada geese are vermin, and the DNR specifically recommends harassment.

Exactly. Our local F&G office used to give you free boxes of 12g cracker shells. I'm running low, and need to resubmit if they still can this year because of regs. I even bought a $70 pawnshop 12g just for the job many years ago. My wife loves the sport of placing a perfect shell shot over our pasture, 15 feet above 40 head or more geese- and having it kaboom! Very fun.

The quadcopter sound like fun- I don't need a camera, but I'll have to deliver ordinance with it of some sort. An extra channel, extra servo... Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
gulfvet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Remotely Piloted Hobbyist Aircraft Recommendations? Reply with quote

Zeen wrote:
Anyone get a drone from Santa? Drones were big at the CES
show, and it's got me wanting one. I actually came up with a legitimate use I can sell the wife on: scaring away the geese that crap all over the lawn. That used to be the dog's job, but he tore his knee, so we can't have him barrelling down the hill at top speed. It should be as big as possible, and sturdy. Noisy is probably a good thing for once. It would need to have a control range of at least 200' feet. The cheaper the better, but hopefully under $200. Any advice?

http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/

This link is must reading for you new Drone want a bees.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Drone Recommendations? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

Some kids hovered their drone over my private backyard and I called the cops and HOA board to tell them to warn residents this is illegal, and to imply I'd take it down with my 10-gauge if they did it again. I haven't seen it since.

Be a good neighbor!
Good idea. The answer to everything is to get out your firearms Rolling Eyes
http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/kentucky-ma...h-shotgun/
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Drone Recommendations? Reply with quote

windfish wrote:

This is a drone.

Definition of DRONE

1. 1: a stingless male bee (as of the honeybee) that has the role of mating with the queen and does not gather nectar or pollen

Sounds like a gimp, to me! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Drone Recommendations? Reply with quote

Air-Cooled Head wrote:
windfish wrote:

This is a drone.

Definition of DRONE

1. 1: a stingless male bee (as of the honeybee) that has the role of mating with the queen and does not gather nectar or pollen

Sounds like a gimp, to me! Laughing

Sounds like a great gig.
krs.br79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Remotely Piloted Hobbyist Aircraft Recommendations? Reply with quote

This is a great one.

http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-H8-Mini-Headless-M...75808.html

Kept my interest enough to warrant the price.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: