Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Manx In The Middle-Official Thread
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedBaronofRedBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Manx In The Middle-Official Thread Reply with quote

Manx In The Middle-Official post

Barb and I hope that everyone had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

With a new year, comes a new Manx Club event...Manx In The Middle! This will be the first time a Manx Club event has been held in the middle of the US, so the name fits! We are hoping this event will be an annual event and give our members nationwide more access to our great buggy community! I can say that Barb and I have met many people who we feel are not only friends, but family!

With that said, the MITM event will be held in Collinsville, Illinois, September 8th-September 11. The host hotel will be:

Double Tree Hotel Collinsville/St Louis
1000 Eastport Plaza Drive
Collinsville, IL 62234
Rate-109 per night
Reservations-866-235-4657 (Reference "Manx Club")
Reservations must be made by August 17th, 2016

This location is only a few miles from downtown St. Louis. There are many amenities in the area of the hotel (restaurants, gas stations, shopping, Wal Mart, Home Depot, auto parts, etc), and easy access to the interstate. There is ample parking for cars, trucks, buggies and trailers. This was the hotel that the Shuffle to Buffalo crew used, so ask them about it. We can tell you that its a first class facility and we have used it as a base for other events in the past. We hope to have links to make reservations online soon. The link will be posted as soon as we get it.

The schedule for MITM will be, but is not limited to the following:

Thursday night:
5pm-10pm-Meet and greet-St Clair Room of the Doubletree
Friday:
9am-Loud and Quiet pipe contest-parking lot of Doubletree
11am-Photo opportunity at Malcolm Martin Memorial Park across from the Gateway Arch
---Afternoon will be free to explore the area (Budweiser, Arch, Forest Park, Ted Drewes, etc)
7pm-to 10pm-Die Cast racing-VW or buggy 1:64th scale-St Clair Room of the Doubletree
Saturday:
9-11am-Show and Shine-Doubletree parking lot
Noon to 4pm-Cruise to Grafton, IL along IL-100 and the Mississippi River
7pm-1130pm-Awards, silent auctions, shenanigans, thank yous!-Madison Ballroom, Doubletree
Sunday:
Goodbye breakfast (groups can get together where they desire)

That is schedule as it stands right now. Some of the times may change but this is about 80% solid. More details will be given in the coming weeks and months.

The diecast racing is like you did as a kid, with Hot Wheels track. We have a digital finish line and plenty of track. We will post the rules and details in the coming weeks and months.

As a bonus, Bruce and Winnie have said that they will be attending! What a great honor to have the Father of the Dune Buggy at our event! We are truly happy to invite them both and look forward to the stories!

There is so much to see and do in St Louis, I just hope that everyone will mark their calendars and plan on attending. There are going to be a couple of cruises headed this way, so there are opportunities for Long Haul Awards!

Barb and I have a great group of individuals that are helping and we appreciate everything they are doing. (I wont mention names at this time, so as not to embarrass them) Many have asked what can they do to help. Well, spread the word! Let your buggy friends know that this will be an opportunity to go to a Manx Club event and even meet Bruce Meyers! Also, we will need donations for raffle items, silent auction items and gift bags! We will also need volunteers for raffle tickets, signups, and many other things that I havent thought of yet!

If you would like to donate, have contacts that might like to donate, or would like to volunteer, feel free to email me at [email protected].

One last item, you must be a Manx Club member to attend this event. The process is simple and what you get back is well worth it. Go to http://manxclub.com/membership.htm to sign up and get in on all the fun!

We all look forward to seeing everyone. See you in St Louie!!

My two pennies…your mileage may vary

I’m not a complete idiot, there are parts missing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx In The Middle-Official Thread Reply with quote

In addition to this event, I will host a Cruise from Charleston WV to this event. We will log right at 500 miles on this cruise, so, if you are 500 miles from Charleston WV, you can make it a two day cruise and earn your Long Haul League pin and decal Award.

In March, I will post up a Host Hotel near Charleston so you can plan a trip based on miles and make reservations. I will leave early Thursday Morning and return Sunday.

To qualify for the Long Haul League Award, you have to either ride or drive (which can include a combination there of) in a dune buggy 1000 miles or more to a Manx Club sponsored event. So, you do not have to travel back with the group, only to the event.

This Cruise will be named Buggy's To The Middle, or BTTM.

To be eligible for this separate event, you must be a Manx Club Member and have you buggy street legal for your State and have current applicable Insurance.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Manx In The Middle-Official Thread Reply with quote

OUTSTANDING!!! Thankfully, I am only about 6 hours from St. Louie so it's do-able.
What is the route from Charleston? I may be on the way. (So. East Indiana)
I will be looking forward.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Manx In The Middle-Official Thread Reply with quote

Skulptorchaz wrote:
OUTSTANDING!!! Thankfully, I am only about 6 hours from St. Louie so it's do-able.
What is the route from Charleston? I may be on the way. (So. East Indiana)
I will be looking forward.

We will pick up I-70 in Dayton Ohio and run it through Indy and on to St. Louis. Cool to have you jump in if you can.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx In The Middle-Official Thread Reply with quote

Yep, that could work. I am 1 hour south of Indy towards Cincy. That is definitely your most direct route but, if you, or anyone else, would like a change of scenery on the way home, I-64 or even SR 50 down by the river are great drives. (we like to take 50 up and down the river on Sunday drives.) But it would add an hour or two or more depending on which route.
I have it on my calendar. Now, let's see how life shakes out. Smile
THANKS!!
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx In The Middle-Official Thread Reply with quote

P.S.
Just buggy's or would Volks rods be acceptable. Just curious. No problem either way.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx In The Middle-Official Thread Reply with quote

Cool! Hope it works and you make it out with us.

I plan on the I-70 route to ensure 500 miles from Charleston WV to the host Hotel. The I-64 route is just a smidge under at 488 miles, and that will be the route I come home on back to Charleston WV.

It is a buggy event, but if for some reason you cannot get your buggy ready in time, bring the Volksrod. You will just need to stay at the tail on any cruises, and out of group pictures. But a Buggy guy, is a Buggy guy no matter what gets driven. Cool

barrist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx In The Middle-Official Thread Reply with quote

Mmmmm Confused

Been thinking of a trip, this might be the One..........

I'll talk with the better half, and get back with Ya.

Have a Great Day,

Bill
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx In The Middle-Official Thread Reply with quote

Thanks Joe. If I make it, which I plan to, I will be in my buggy. I was just curious in case a buddy of mine, who I welded up a volks rod for, might want to come. He and his wife are all about cruisin his rod. They love it but it just happens to be steel. I have two other buddies with buggies I'll try to get to come and if my buddy with the rod would want to come, I'll let him know. I'm glad you're open. I think your idea is fine and fair.

Oh, one other thing, I am assuming we would be "packed up" cruisin down the interstate - which would be the coolest. Bad thing is, anything over about 60 - 65 mph, my temp starts to climb. Is that an issue for you other buggies? I am forming up a couple stainless ....... um, "air scoops", sorta. I'm not sure they will work, but they are primarily to keep the road grime off my carbs from the back tires but, I will try to get duel purpose out of them. (I'll start another thread on the topic.)

Thanks buddy!
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx In The Middle-Official Thread Reply with quote

BTTM, (Buggy's To The Middle) has officially been created and is listed on the Manx Club Website. This is a separate event that will include driving to and from the MITM, (Manx In The Middle) event.

It will start September 8, 2016 for the trip heading West, and return East on September 11, 2016.

Only two qualifications to join in. Be a current Active Manx Club member. Have proper License and Insurance on your buggy as required by the State you live in.

I will set up a host Hotel In Teays Valley WV and post up the info in about the end of March. There are several great places to eat at Teays Valley. About a week out, with a head count, I will get reservations at a nice place for us to have dinner on Wednesday Evening, 7 PM-ish.

I plan on leaving that Host Hotel in Teays Valley WV around 7 AM and head North/West on US Route 35 to Dayton OH. At that point we will take I-75 North about 10 miles to I-70 West. We will follow I-70 to the I-465 loop around the Southern portion of Indy to avoid the city traffic and then pick I-70 West back up all the way to Collinsville IL to the host hotel.

Mapquest shows this route to be 526 miles.

If you are around 500 miles from Teays Valley WV, make a 2 day trip and combine the milage to get the Long Haul League Award. (LHL is riding and or driving 1000 miles to a Manx Club Sponsored Event in a buggy). If you have questions about this and what to do, Message me and I will help you out.

For a return trip, I will follow I-64 East all the way out of Saint Louis. This route is 484 miles so we can get home a little quicker on a Sunday.

My direct email is [email protected] feel free to email me.

Like the ECVW trips, Shuffle To Buffalo, BTTB and C2C cruises, this one will also promise to be a good time with old friends, new friends and in general, just good fun.

If you are coming in from along the way, join in! If you have never done something like this, now is your chance to jump in line. There is Safety in numbers. Just let me know where you intend to join the group so we do not miss you.

Here are a couple pictures of the BTTB, (Buggy's To The Banx) Cruise last October. 14 buggy's total. Photo's by Barb Byrnes.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by joescoolcustoms on Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx In The Middle-Official Thread Reply with quote

Skulptorchaz wrote:

Oh, one other thing, I am assuming we would be "packed up" cruisin down the interstate - which would be the coolest. Bad thing is, anything over about 60 - 65 mph, my temp starts to climb. Is that an issue for you other buggies?

In a group, 65 is a really good MPH to cruise. In both trips across the US in '14 and '15, we ran mostly between 63 to 67. Hard to hold a buggy dead on 65.

vincent9993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Manx In The Middle-Official Thread Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Skulptorchaz wrote:

Oh, one other thing, I am assuming we would be "packed up" cruisin down the interstate - which would be the coolest. Bad thing is, anything over about 60 - 65 mph, my temp starts to climb. Is that an issue for you other buggies?

In a group, 65 is a really good MPH to cruise. In both trips across the US in '14 and '15, we ran mostly between 63 to 67. Hard to hold a buggy dead on 65.

You said that right Joe,

I wore out my rearview mirror and speedometer glass just by looking at them so much trying to hold a constant speed.

I have a profound respect for anyone who's led a group of buggies for any length of time.

This will be a great trip!
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx In The Middle-Official Thread Reply with quote

vincent9993 wrote:
joescoolcustoms wrote:
Skulptorchaz wrote:

You said that right Joe,

I wore out my rearview mirror and speedometer glass just by looking at them so much trying to hold a constant speed.

I have a profound respect for anyone who's led a group of buggies for any length of time.

This will be a great trip!

So, will the next buggy you build have Heads Up display to help preserve those nice Speedhut Gauges?

And yes, it is a lot easier to follow, than lead a group in buggy's.

mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx In The Middle-Official Thread Reply with quote

vincent9993 wrote...."I have a profound respect for anyone who's led a group of buggies for any length of time. "

takes a GOOD "ROAD CAPTAIN" Cool

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RedBaronofRedBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx In The Middle-Official Thread Reply with quote

Joecoolcustoms wrote: And yes, it is a lot easier to follow, than lead a group in buggy's.

Im not so sure about that, Joe. This is what we received on the BTTB ride in WV. We were running sweep!

Im hoping the ride to St Louis will be less eventful!!

Cool

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RedBaronofRedBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Manx In The Middle-Official Thread Reply with quote

We have officially opened up registration for MITM! The forms and information about this event is located here http://www.eastcoastdunebuggies.com/mitm.htm

Hope to see you all in St Louie!

RedBaronofRedBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx In The Middle-Official Thread Reply with quote

Racing rules are posted on the website. LMK if you have questions.

Gary0302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Manx In The Middle-Official Thread Reply with quote

Venue addresses in Google Maps

For those that are already familiar with the East Coast Dune Buggies webpage for the 2016 Manx In The Middle, a second linked page has been added that may assist participants once they arrive in the Collinsville IL/St. Louis MO area. This page is very basic in its form; but it does give the user the option of clicking on a particular venue name (DoubleTree by Hilton - Host Hotel, for example), which pulls up the corresponding location in Google Maps. The user then may decide to choose the "Directions" option in order to see the route from their present location. Each venue that is currently on the schedule has a corresponding link, along with a few other areas of interest. This additional page may be updated if needed. It is recommended that this link is added to your smartphone/tablet/laptop for on-the-go use.

East Coast Dune Buggies - 2016 Manx In The Middle - Google Maps
http://www.eastcoastdunebuggies.com/2016mitmgooglemaps.htm

Edit on July 20, 2016: now that I think about it, I really should have added this additional information to the above text. For those of you that plan to use this feature, I highly recommend that you test the "Directions" feature out way before you are actually on the road. It may be that your phone/tablet/laptop has yet been set up to allow for google.com to determine your location, which is essential in determining the correct route to your destination. Please refer to your device or assistance from others for additional details, if needed.

Check out my videos on Youtube

"It's a buggy not a space shuttle...." - Dale M.
"When in doubt, blame it on the previous owner" - Gary0302
Gary0302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Manx In The Middle-Official Thread Reply with quote

Only 13 days until the end of pre-registration for this year's Manx In The Middle, September 8-11, 2016. Check out the schedule of events for more details on what is in store for this very exciting weekend:

2016 Manx In The Middle

Check out my videos on Youtube

"It's a buggy not a space shuttle...." - Dale M.
"When in doubt, blame it on the previous owner" - Gary0302
RedBaronofRedBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Manx In The Middle-Official Thread Reply with quote

Just a reminder, we have one week left for preregistration!! This is going to be a fun event, so dont miss out! Dont delay, get your form in today!!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: