Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

34 Carb slight gas leak, with pics...
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 Carb slight gas leak, with pics... Reply with quote

Well, I had some time today to check the inside of my carb. I couldn't find any signs of a flooding issue, float level looked good and sat where it should be, and the needle and seat moved freely as I believe it should. I just couldn't see anything wrong inside the carb. Put everything back together and started it up. I have to hold the peddle down to start, turn the key, and she put a and sputters, all the while I have to give it gas or she'll stall. This goes on for about 20 seconds until she smooths out, still giving it gas, until she's smooth on her own. I still feel a miss in the engine as it running, sort of a put put, if you will. I took a video of the car running and you can hear what I'm trying to convey here, but I'm having a problem posting the video. Any help with that would be great.. Anyway, I should probably mention I just replaced the exhaust with a progressive header and muffler, if that makes any difference.... It still has a miss in it that annoys me a bit.
Here's a pic of the bowl..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In regards to the miss, what else should I be looking in to?... Thanks again..

Here is a link from you tube, hope it works.
https://youtu.be/YvV9jCeKikk

Last edited by legotech7 on Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 Carb slight gas leak, with pics... Reply with quote

From what I've read and my experience, those after market headers don't correctly flow exhaust gasses through the manifold heat risers. Are u getting enough pre-heat to the base of the carb? icing perhaps?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 Carb slight gas leak, with pics... Reply with quote

Yes I checked vamram, I also cleared the tubes before I put the new header on and checked for leaks . No icing, its been really warm here lately. Still scratching my head ... lol...
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 Carb slight gas leak, with pics... Reply with quote

I had a new euromax (Chinese) brand 34-3 that, new, would hunt at idle no matter how i adjusted it. Turns out this "new" carb shipped with a warped base so could it had a permanent vacuum leak no matter what gasket I installed at its base.

That carb is now a piggy bank.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
DAWGNME
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 Carb slight gas leak, with pics... Reply with quote

With the engine running, check the fuel bowl vent tube for signs of fuel dripping out, which would indicate a sticky float valve, or a cracked float filling up with gas.

The Rich Can Buy What Ever They Want.
But!
They Have To Beg For What They Really Need.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 Carb slight gas leak, with pics... Reply with quote

Ok guys here is the thing with this thread, I am going to ask a question? The left gasket looks to have a big enough ID that the Vacuum Circuits in the Carb are open to the Manifold Vacuum. The Thick gasket looks like it would completely seal the carbs internal passages that connect to the channels there on it's bottom, seal it or open them to the vacuum? I need to know which way? They can't both be correct!

legotech7's photo:

Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 Carb slight gas leak, with pics... Reply with quote

Use the gasket that matches the inner diameter of the carb. Those passages should be covered.

(When in doubt use the gasket that matches what you removed.)

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 Carb slight gas leak, with pics... Reply with quote

That's Kind of what I was thinking.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: