Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Berry Mini T basket case rebuild
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chadbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Berry Mini T basket case rebuild Reply with quote

In April of last year, I picked up a buggy from this guy here in Las Vegas that had no idea what he had, and to be quite honest, it was in really bad shape. 1964 Chassis is all jacked up (round 2" mild steel stock for frame rails welded an inch too far inboard, no floor pans, center tunnel shifter section was removed and "beefed up", as he said, with 1/4" thick steel...and the list goes on) the 1969 engine needs to be rebuilt (1500cc going to 1800,) 6v system (going to convert it to 12v,) someone hacked off the rear "bed" section of the body right behind the fender flares (I'm down for the fiberglass work) and, of course, all the finishing touches are missing... BUT.. I got it for $700 and am very excited to dig in. I have assembled all my lists of parts and pieces and supplies that I need, but there are a few that are eluding me and I wanted to see if anyone out there in The Samba might have some suggestions. Does anyone have a Berry Mini T with an original windshield that might be able to take measurements and pictures to help me build a new frame? Does anyone out there have any suggestions on body lift kits, fiberglass rebuilding supplies, upholstery and interior suggestions to get a sweet interior and a bow type top made? These are just a few to start. Once I actually get going on the build, I will start posting pictures, but I need some help finding the right direction on the questions above. Can anyone help?
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Berry Mini T basket case rebuild Reply with quote

Bug Shields By Dino has the measurements and can make you a new windshield. Dino works a full time job, and has family, so it does take him some time to respond, but he is the best out there.

http://bugshieldsbydino.com/

For a body lift, it sounds like you are up for some serious chassis modifications. If so, I suggest using 2 X 3 rectangular tubing welded in as side runners on the chassis. So much stronger than anything you can buy. A 2 X 3 works out to be a 2 inch body lift when installed 3 high and 2 wide, (1 inch will be down, and 2 inches up)

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Berry Mini T basket case rebuild Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant to answer to answer that when I got home and forgot. I think you would be best trying to find somebody making one ready to go, the original ones are made from an interesting aluminum extrusion that is cut and bent to shape. The original windshield is wider at the top and pokes through the body to attach to the inner tub fiberglass. Rounded top corners would be better than the partially cut corners of a stock frame, as you have to be extra careful getting glass into the stock frame and the tight bend damages (frosty appearance) the clear anodizing more than gentle bends. Here is a good shot to show the shape.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Top width is 44.5 inches.
The height at the center is 16.5 inches.
The width at base is hard to measure because of the curve, but is about 38.5 inches.
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Berry Mini T basket case rebuild Reply with quote

I have this same body and whindshield fo sale
The post is on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/522194787953667/permalink/522334054606407/
should be the parts you need
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Berry Mini T basket case rebuild Reply with quote

Your facebook page is not publicly available, so only facebook members can see it.
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Berry Mini T basket case rebuild Reply with quote

thanks did not know could not access facebook
Try CL
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/pts/5401015020.html
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Berry Mini T basket case rebuild Reply with quote

That works. Very cool Berry Mini-T (shortened frame 2 seat version) with the early type flip up rear fenders and some period paint work.

I wanted a Berry Mini-T since I was 7 years old, after reading "dune buggies" by Gary Gladstone. I had a nice Manx Clone before I got my Berry. I will say this, the Berry is all about the look -- comfort and storage are completely neglected in the pursuit of "the look." I'm not getting rid of mine (that whole childhood dream thing) but if you are just looking for a beach buggy the Manx styled buggies are a lot more comfortable and offer a lot more storage space.

Welcome to the beach buggy world Chad. Enjoy the ride!
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Berry Mini T basket case rebuild Reply with quote

I have one too. It is 2 more buggy's away on the build list. So, '17 it will get some love. Being 6'2", I am going to build a custom chassis for it where a tall guy can get comfortable in it.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Berry Mini T basket case rebuild Reply with quote

someone needs this one , I'm getting to old to crawl into a buggy . The one style I'm into now is a sportster . I thought at first I would build this one , but after looking at the mods needed to the pan ( move peddles , shifter and e brake ) decided too much work to try and sell for profit . These are good bones for someone to start with , the windshield is worth almost the asking price . Make me an offer
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Berry Mini T basket case rebuild Reply with quote

and also come and join our facebook page
chadbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Berry Mini T basket case rebuild Reply with quote

Thank you for all of that, Sandhopper. I am definitely interested in the Mini T that you have.
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Berry Mini T basket case rebuild Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
I have one too. It is 2 more buggy's away on the build list. So, '17 it will get some love. Being 6'2", I am going to build a custom chassis for it where a tall guy can get comfortable in it.

Neat. That will be a build to watch.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
chadbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Berry Mini T basket case rebuild Reply with quote

Very cool! Thank you SANDHOPPER for the body and windshield frame/glass. Got it back to Vegas in one piece.

Wanted to get back to the forum because I noticed something on BOTH of the bodies I now have (the one that I had before that was hacked up, and the awesome whole on I have now).

The inside tub on both of them, at the shoulder seam where the seats would be tucked under the upper body rim, is separated and bulging out with fiberglass chop. Not sure if they were laid up this way when they came from Berry, or if that is a result of sun and wear over the years since they were molded.

Is this normal? Seems like it will pose a problem when moving forward with the interior upholstering when I get to that.

I can get pictures up to show what I am referring to, but has anyone experienced this issue on their Mini T builds or any other buggy build for that matter?
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Berry Mini T basket case rebuild Reply with quote

Knowing this crowd they're all making popcorn while waiting for the pictures!!!

(With way more projects than spare time!)
chadbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Berry Mini T basket case rebuild Reply with quote

Trying to post some pics up of the issue that I am referring to
and I am having a heck of a time figuring out how to embed pics rather than throw up a link. Any direction from those that may know?
chadbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Berry Mini T basket case rebuild Reply with quote

Ok.. So I finally got an opportunity to set up a gallery and would love any advice that anyone can give. Lots of work to be done and any time saving tips (meaning anything that others might have learned over the years so as not to make major mistakes in this project) would be great.

As you all can see, there is some damage to the front passenger side of the buggy where there is clearly some core damage to the fascia so wanted to find out from you how that would be repaired and keep the fascia intact and laminated so that it looks like the original bodywork. Do I cut away all the damage first and rebuild from scratch? Do I just cut away the broken edges of the top layer and remove all of the underlying damage and rebuild from the inside out? Questions questions!

Another area of concern is in the interior of the body where the inner tub seems to have a little bit of a separation at the shoulder on the passenger side where the tub itself is attached to the chopped strand sprayed fiberglass inside the body. It looks like either over the course of the years the fiberglass underneath the tub might have swollen due to heat and or moisture or when it was originally fabricated there was too much chopped strand sprayed into the mold and I wanted to find out from you if you have any suggestions as to how to repair that inner chopped strand that was made in the laminate so that the tub will fit correctly and I can install new upholstery. (The first picture is of the driver side where the body and inner tub fit together correctly. Also I know that some of the photos are closeups but the further out I get to snap photos, less can be seen of the issue at hand.)

I'm sure I will have more questions as I get involved in actually doing the work on the body such as how to re gelcoat or paint and which is better, and finishing techniques after the body work is complete.[/img]
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Berry Mini T basket case rebuild Reply with quote

Try looking at this thread. It shows some pretty major fiberglass repairs. There are a lot of guys on here that really know their fiberglass.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=417315&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Berry Mini T basket case rebuild Reply with quote

Curiosity question...
What ever happened to the SR project???

(With way more projects than spare time!)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: