Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

USPS Rate Changes
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
widefivebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: USPS Rate Changes Reply with quote

Just a heads up to buyers and sellers I just noticed USPS raised their Rates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jensend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: USPS Rate Changes Reply with quote

Most of the rate increases are 7-9%. Overseas rates are quite extreme too. Estimated a single magazine to the UK and found the cheapest rate was $22.50!! They also did away with discounts for printing postage online. This will really complicate things on smaller items.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: USPS Rate Changes Reply with quote

That sucks, can't even hardly afford to give away free parts anymore.
Must be the high fuel prices.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
widefivebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: USPS Rate Changes Reply with quote

•The average shipping price rises 9.5% from $5.02 to $5.50.
•Priority Mail rises an average of 9.8%.
•Priority Mail Express rises an average of 15.6%.
•The USPS discontinues Priority Mail Express Flat Rate boxes.
•First-Class Package Service (a.k.a. First-Class Mail Parcel) rises an average of 12.8%. But there is good news after January 17: The maximum weight for First-Class Package increases from 12.99 oz to 15.99 oz. Also, the rate for First-Class Packages under 8 oz. is a flat $2.60, which simplifies lightweight package pricing.
•Standard Post is now called Retail Ground, with an average increase of 10%.
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: USPS Rate Changes Reply with quote

they raise their rates almost every year at this time

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: USPS Rate Changes Reply with quote

I use the Priority medium flat rate all the time, but now will have to add $2 to cover the increase.

Bummer, but that's life.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: USPS Rate Changes Reply with quote

Last edited by Bruce on Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:58 am; edited 1 time in total
widefivebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: USPS Rate Changes Reply with quote

I use the medium boxes all the time too. I'm sure its the same case as with everything else. People take the boxes by the handful's and use them for all their own personal use other than USPS shipping. You know, just like the ketchup, taco sauce, sugar...
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: USPS Rate Changes Reply with quote

Rates are going to keep rising until Congress realizes that the USPS desperately needs to cancel Saturday mail delivery to stay profitable. The Internet and electronic banking are seriously hurting first class letters and subscription magazines & newspapers.

USPS is still the cheapest rates for small packages under 10 pounds.
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: USPS Rate Changes Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Rates are going to keep rising until Congress realizes that the USPS desperately needs to cancel Saturday mail delivery to stay profitable. The Internet and electronic banking are seriously hurting first class letters and subscription magazines & newspapers.

We are still the cheapest.

The reason we're losing money is not the fact that we deliver on Saturday. In fact, last year we started delivering on Sundays as well in order to stay competitive and push out the tidal wave of Amazon parcels.
We also haven't been hurt by the internet or email, despite what many people still believe. I've been delivering mail since November of 2001 and it wasn't until the recession that I saw letter mail and catalogues take a nose dive. They've returned somewhat, but parcel loads have also returned in spades in the last few years thanks in large part to online shopping. Bulk mailings also haven't stopped, and they are serious cash cows for us.
The reason we're in such dire straits, despite raising our rates and providing such fine customer service ( Rolling Eyes ), is that we are not allowed to make a profit and are inexplicably required to prefund our pension plans.
The USPS is controlled tightly by congress, yet we haven't taken a dime of government funds since the 80's. Imagine if you owned a for profit business and someone completely unrelated to your business and who had no fucking clue how to properly run your business was able to tell you what you could and couldn't do. It's insane, and it's how the PO operates.

I work for a nominally government institution that has the countries' only legal monopoly locked down, and yet it is so burdened with bureaucratic and Union BS that it will never, ever be fixed.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: USPS Rate Changes Reply with quote

People still use the post office?
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: USPS Rate Changes Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Too bad they didn't keep the flat rate boxes and just eliminated the 2 day priority.

We still have all the flat rate boxes as well as regional rate boxes. They're all considered priority and ship between 2 and 5 days.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: USPS Rate Changes Reply with quote

vwnutt wrote:
I use the medium boxes all the time too. I'm sure its the same case as with everything else. People take the boxes by the handful's and use them for all their own personal use other than USPS shipping. You know, just like the ketchup, taco sauce, sugar...

And the little plastic delivery bins too.

One story I found
http://www.dailycommercial.com/news/article_9a8cf812-7f73-543e-9be4-f4338f11b4fe.html
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: USPS Rate Changes Reply with quote

awreed wrote:
Imagine if you owned a for profit business and someone completely unrelated to your business and who had no fucking clue how to properly run your business was able to tell you what you could and couldn't do. It's insane, and it's how the PO operates.

... as do most public utilities (water, power, phone), whether private or government owned. In California, the Public utilities Commission (PUC) regulates rates, profits, and some pay. There are sound public policy and security reasons for doing this.

Banks ought to be, but politicians are so indebted to them that this will never happen until the next crash, even worse than the last one.
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: USPS Rate Changes Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
awreed wrote:
Imagine if you owned a for profit business and someone completely unrelated to your business and who had no fucking clue how to properly run your business was able to tell you what you could and couldn't do. It's insane, and it's how the PO operates.

... as do most public utilities (water, power, phone), whether private or government owned. In California, the Public utilities Commission (PUC) regulates rates, profits, and some pay. There are sound public policy and security reasons for doing this.

Banks ought to be, but politicians are so indebted to them that this will never happen until the next crash, even worse than the last one.

To be fair, the two are not the same. USPS is the only enterprise in America that is required by law to pre-fund future retiree healthcare benefits. Not saying that they are the only one that pre-funds, but that we are the only one that is required by law to pre-fund, despite there being a $45 billion surplus in the fund. It is this pre-funding that has brought us to our debt limit- not the declining mail volumes.

Now, that said, how is the USPS different than everyone else? Do public and private utilities micromanage the shit out of every miniscule task that their employees do..... and maintain dictionaries of useless acronyms to describe office stationery.... and hire managers with the personal skills of autistic gorillas.....
But then again, I do get 4 weeks of vacation leave every year. And I have over 1,000 hours of sick leave accumulated.... maybe I'll take up extreme downhill inline skating and burn some of that off.

Yep. Now I feel better.
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: USPS Rate Changes Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
vwnutt wrote:

And the little plastic delivery bins too.

One story I found
http://www.dailycommercial.com/news/article_9a8cf812-7f73-543e-9be4-f4338f11b4fe.html

Damn, those tubs were great for storing oily parts. I only had one tub left last year, but I gave it back Sad
Now I just gotta hope the postmaster doesn't find the bundles of Ikea catalogues buried in the yard.
widefivebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: USPS Rate Changes Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

This is the main reason I still use USPS. The convenience of using the priority mail boxes and I haven't found anything cheaper either under 10 pounds.

I know one thing, I sure don't keep going back for the service. Only business I ever seen that every Holiday they decrease counter help and I'm using the term help very loosely.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: USPS Rate Changes Reply with quote

I'll continue to use the USPS despite the burdens foisted on them by politicians
Tbirdusa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: USPS Rate Changes Reply with quote

I sell direct mail. No busines could be more frustrating to work with. Seems alot is left up to interpretation and only bad things come of someone at the post office saying, yes, that is approved. "Well, according to the DMM you should be able to do that, but i will not approve. You will have to send off a sample and wait 4 weeks for an answer. Sorry sir,..... NEXT!!"

And the middle aged minority hiring practices put many a people behind the counter that have not had a fair shake at education. So, lets give them the most convoluted, outdated, dysfunctional system known as postal1 and see how they deal with that.

Good people, bad systems, idiot Capital Hill cronnies laying down mandates and laws that ...... fuck it. Never mind.. if the USPS was a bit forward thinking, FedEx and UPS would go the way of DHL. Will never happen, buy stock in the private sector. Its real cheap today!
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: USPS Rate Changes Reply with quote

vwnutt wrote:

•The USPS discontinues Priority Mail Express Flat Rate boxes.

This is not true, as confirmed by awreed above.
vwnutt wrote:
•First-Class Package Service (a.k.a. First-Class Mail Parcel) rises an average of 12.8%. But there is good news after January 17: The maximum weight for First-Class Package increases from 12.99 oz to 15.99 oz. Also, the rate for First-Class

According to the web site today, the limit of first class packages is still 13oz for retail customers.
However, I found this chart that suggests commercial customers can go up to 16oz.
http://community.ebay.com/t5/image/serverpage/imag...&px=-1

awreed, can you get to the bottom of this?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: