Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Be Gentle To Me.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JlaneVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Be Gentle To Me. Reply with quote

So I have been working on restoring my a present for my wife. Just bought it about 6 months ago.

Time to fix this Oil leak. It appears to be leaking on the passenger side out/around some springs. I assume the valve springs(I don't have much car experience so this is me learning Smile ) and one of the covers is broken.

I don't think that is something I can fix with the engine in the car, It is a Type 3 1971 engine converted to upright.

So I was planning on removing the engine and trying to fix the issue then put the engine back. Now for the super stupid question. Do I need to drain the oil and transmission fluids prior to removing the engine?

Also would you advise I just buy a rebuilt Type 1 engine and install that instead?

Thanks for your time.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Be Gentle To Me. Reply with quote

Very Happy

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
miller0358
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Be Gentle To Me. Reply with quote

These engines aren't that hard to work on. Get a good manual and have at it. If the engine is running good and just leaking oil, I'd go for a fix. Jeff
JlaneVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Be Gentle To Me. Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
No need to drain but with valve cover off you can spill some if you tilt in that direction. Get a manual preferably Tom Wilson's book and you can buy it used if you are tight on funds. Very Happy

Alrighty I will find that book. Not really Tight on Funds as I am thinking about just buying a new engine but obviously would not like to just spend money for no reason.
JlaneVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Be Gentle To Me. Reply with quote

miller0358 wrote:
These engines aren't that hard to work on. Get a good manual and have at it. If the engine is running good and just leaking oil, I'd go for a fix. Jeff

The engine runs great. Starts up in a second. Just leaves a drop I would say every 2-4 feet of driving(Down the drive at maybe 2 MPH)
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Be Gentle To Me. Reply with quote

If the engine Runs well, why not replace the broken valve cover and see if that helps.

And take a picture of the "springs" you speak of. I have a feeling you're talking about the push rod tubes that appear to have springs on their ends.

A new valve cover may be all you need. Try to get a stock one.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
JlaneVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Be Gentle To Me. Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
If the engine Runs well, why not replace the broken valve cover and see if that helps.

And take a picture of the "springs" you speak of. I have a feeling you're talking about the push rod tubes that appear to have springs on their ends.

A new valve cover may be all you need. Try to get a stock one.

Tim

Here is the broken piece and where it appears the leak is coming from.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

olspeed
Samba Member

Location: In the shadow of Denali, I still don't give a damn how they do it outside

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Be Gentle To Me. Reply with quote

Quote:

Well there is your problem right there, you have aftermarket push rod tubes and they are the plastic junk ones. You can buy replacement tubes like what you have and leave the heads on or replace them with stock by pulling the heads. If you want PM me as you are close but I am heading outside Monday and won't be back for little a while... Or go to the arctic air cooled web site (http://www.arcticaircooledvws.com/ )and introduce yourself and one of the fine folks from there should chime in.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Be Gentle To Me. Reply with quote

Where did this car come from? You are in Alaska and the car is not fitted with a thermostat.
JlaneVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Be Gentle To Me. Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
Where did this car come from? You are in Alaska and the car is not fitted with a thermostat.

Came from Arizona, Where I was born and raised. Moved up to Alaska and brought this baby for my Wife.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Be Gentle To Me. Reply with quote

Pull the engine and replace all those (temporary emergency) leaky-ass pushrods tubes, using stock tubes.

Get the thermostat system together, since you're pulling the engine, anyway.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Be Gentle To Me. Reply with quote

[quote="olspeed"]
Quote:
Or go to the arctic air cooled web site (http://www.arcticaircooledvws.com/ )and introduce yourself and one of the fine folks from there should chime in.

Do this. You won't be sorry.
Avoid that GEX engine in your other post. But buy the car. It's a great starter.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
JlaneVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Be Gentle To Me. Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Pull the engine and replace all those (temporary emergency) leaky-ass pushrods tubes, using stock tubes.

Tim

Well that answers my question then.

Time to pull the engine and get it all fixed up.

Ill try to get the engine pulled and then post some images and hopefully you guys can go through them and find any more issues.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Be Gentle To Me. Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

Tim

That's where I was going with it.
JlaneVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Be Gentle To Me. Reply with quote

Ok so finally found time to pull the engine and was doing a little bit of research.

Should I hunt down stock push rod tubes or use the Jaycee Spring loaded tubes?(Seems alot of people like the Jaycee ones on Samba)

http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1514

The engine is a 1971 Type 3. So I think those Jaycee tubes would be the ones, Correct?
VERTED71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Be Gentle To Me. Reply with quote

if your pulling the engine, use the stock ones. if you just need a quick fix, use the spring loaded ones. I've never heard anything good about using the spring units other than the fact that you do not have to remove the heads to replace it. Good luck!

71 Super Beetle Vert
15x4.5 Front
15x6.5 Rear
155/60R15 74T tires FRONT
205/65/15 tires REAR
1600 Dual Port
Progessive Carb
Electronic Ignition
Tri Mil "hotdog" exhaust
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Be Gentle To Me. Reply with quote

VERTED71 wrote:
if your pulling the engine, use the stock ones. if you just need a quick fix, use the spring loaded ones. I've never heard anything good about using the spring units other than the fact that you do not have to remove the heads to replace it. Good luck!

X2 on this ^^

I'll add that you'll hear both sides on those spring loaded push rod tubes. Not all are cheap crap, but they are sometimes difficult to keep completely dry, even though they are easier to install. I've got an expensive set on my bus, and one of the middle seals on one tube weeps every so slightly.

Get the stock push rod tubes and make sure they compress evenly as you're torqueing the heads. They are a little more labor intensive to install, but there's a good reason why VW went with the accordion tubes: they work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JlaneVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Be Gentle To Me. Reply with quote

VERTED71 wrote:

Where can I go about finding stock ones?

Also the blue one in the picture, is that stock? Or is that some other aftermarket one?
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Be Gentle To Me. Reply with quote

JlaneVW wrote:
VERTED71 wrote:

Where can I go about finding stock ones?

Also the blue one in the picture, is that stock? Or is that some other aftermarket one?

None of yours are stock.

Go to the classified section of this site and type in 'push rod tubes'. You'll see the stock style tubes- they are one piece and have accordion type ends that you expand slightly before installing, and the heads will compress them in when torqueing the head nuts. Get new push rod tube gaskets. If you're really anal you can coat the gaskets with a rubber cement type gasket sealer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikeonthebike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Be Gentle To Me. Reply with quote

JlaneVW wrote:

Can anyone tell me about the blue one with the tightening nuts? Never seen one like that but it seems to me it would be better than spring type. And can install without dropping motor.
I'm having a similar issue. I just replaced a couple of spring type pushrod tubes (with 2 more of the same type) that lasted a couple of years, if that. Only took half an hour and is a lot easier than dropping motor. Next time I have motor out I will replace with stock. But I'm not dropping motor just to replace push rod tubes. In the mean time are the type with the nut adjustment any good? Looks like metal which seems to me it would be better than plastic crap tubes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: