Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Painting inside the body with the pan off.
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maxdog2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Painting inside the body with the pan off. Reply with quote

I see some paint the complete inside of the body and others paint only where the paint is visible and wondered why. I there a benefit for painting where the interior covers?
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Painting inside the body with the pan off. Reply with quote

Because some folks are OCD? Or maybe they feel it's for rust protection.
Think about it: Paint costs. Would you want to spray that cost onto a hidden area?
There are cheaper ways to prevent hidden rust, other than $$$/gal paint.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maxdog2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting inside the body with the pan off. Reply with quote

Those are my thoughts and could not see an advantage. Thanks
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting inside the body with the pan off. Reply with quote

I purposefully left several areas of the car the factory color, even masking off behind the engine tar board, and the front firewall. In both areas, the paint was preserved almost flawlessly.

I did it thinking that in the future either myself of a future owner might want to restore the car to the factory jade green.

It also saved a little coin...
Maxdog2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting inside the body with the pan off. Reply with quote

Great idea. Thanks
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Painting inside the body with the pan off. Reply with quote

Maxdog2 wrote:
I see some paint the complete inside of the body and others paint only where the paint is visible and wondered why. I there a benefit for painting where the interior covers?

I do it when changing colors, as I want complete coverage of the old color. On my 64 T-34 though, I did it mainly to seal everything, as those cars are known to rust from the inside out, and didn't get a lot of paint on the inside when they were built.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: