Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing Shop 181 at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale 2016
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Thing Shop 181 at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale 2016 Reply with quote

This is an incredible car. Nut and bolt restoration with some awesome accessories at no reserve. Very, very nice!

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1973-VOLKSWAGEN-THING-CONVERTIBLE-190426

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Quote:
Lot #1573 - This Pumpkin Orange Thing has had a complete, body-off, ground-up restoration. Every part and surface was replaced with new or reconditioned parts and many pieces have been powder-coated. It includes a new premium-quality tan convertible top with a new heavy-duty frame and matching boot. It also has new tempered glass, VW Type II-style sliding side curtains with two fleece-lined storage bags. The seat frames have been newly rebuilt with powder-coated seat frames and upholstered with original factory-designed fiber padding. It is painted with Jet-Glo urethane VW Pumpkin Orange. This car also has the completely rebuilt and has a rare and working Eberspacher BN4 gas heater under the front hood. The body-off rotisserie restoration included a major mechanical redo to the engine and manual transmission. It has an OE VW exhaust system, cad-plated hardware as original, tool kit and jack, OE rubber floor mats and Kubel-style hardwood duck-boards front and rear. It also has five rare accessory OE chrome wheels. This Volkswagen Type 181 Thing comes from the personal collection of Larry Dustman, owner of "The Thing Shop" in Chandler Arizona.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Shop 181 at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale 2016 Reply with quote

Beautiful!!!! Nice color combo!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
oldthingguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Shop 181 at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale 2016 Reply with quote

Beautiful, curious what a perfect example will bring.
64 notch - gone
60 23 window - gone
57 oval - gone
plus a few others I should have kept
iltis74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Shop 181 at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale 2016 Reply with quote

I'm not even going to pretend mine will ever be that nice.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Shop 181 at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale 2016 Reply with quote

Ron-
Is that one of yours?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AnthemAVM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Shop 181 at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale 2016 Reply with quote

Wow, that is to nice to drive, wow.
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Shop 181 at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale 2016 Reply with quote

Sold for $30.800.00. Seems very low. We were watching the auction and they said it was over restored and it had aftermarket wheels on it. Did not seem to push it that much. I think it should have had the top down to show what fun it would have been to drive in the summer. Most all the convertible American and Euro cars had there tops down.
GB
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Shop 181 at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale 2016 Reply with quote

Aftermarket wheels???? Sheesh, looks like they should consult a pro, before they go trying to sell a unique vehicle....

Ida paid it, if'n I had the $$. Laying around....
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Shop 181 at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale 2016 Reply with quote

I didn't watch the auction, so I didn't hear the reference to aftermarket wheels, But I do find it strange that they didn't even consult their own listing which states "It also has five rare accessory OE chrome wheels".

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
CraigInPA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Shop 181 at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale 2016 Reply with quote

I watched it.

The announcers on TV were clueless. They offered such gems as "this is a really fresh restoration", "some people put scoops on the side engine intakes to prevent freezing in the winter", something about the car having a bus axle on the rear, and my favorite... "the Thing was built on a fastback chassis". They later corrected themselves, saying it was really a "karmann ghia chassis". As I said, clueless.

The auctioneers didn't try to push the car that hard, although they did give it a good amount of time to inch up to the hammer price, $1k at a time after $20k.

I find it incredible that the Barrett-Jackson clientele prefer casually restored Acapulco models (several of which hammered down last year significantly higher than $28k) to this VW Thing, which is arguably the finest VW Thing on the planet.

It hammered down at $28k. The extra $2800 was the buyer's premium, bringing the final price to $30,800. That's really a steal.
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Shop 181 at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale 2016 Reply with quote

Thanks for all the compliments on the Thing Ron Domeck and me Dennis Domeck The Domeck Brother's thought they did not promote the car enough We thought the car should have went for a little more money and yes as Mondshine asked we did build the Thing for The Thing Shop.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Shop 181 at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale 2016 Reply with quote

citroen wrote:
Mondshine asked we did build the Thing for The Thing Shop.]

In this case, I certainly would've spent that much!!! Top notch work, by some top Notch brothers!! Wink
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Shop 181 at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale 2016 Reply with quote

citroen wrote:
Thanks for all the compliments on the Thing Ron Domeck and me Dennis Domeck The Domeck Brother's thought they did not promote the car enough We thought the car should have went for a little more money and yes as Mondshine asked we did build the Thing for The Thing Shop.
A Meisterstück, for sure !! Gads, I wish I had the skills of the Domeck brothers, and to think with the exception of the tan roof and rims, my car looked like that back in 1973 . . .

Sehr geil !! Und schoen !!
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Shop 181 at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale 2016 Reply with quote

Domeck Brothers do fantastic work. That Thing kicks some serious ass!
Deckard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Shop 181 at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale 2016 Reply with quote

I'm going against the grain here, but to the average buyer that is not the best color combo. On a white car the top and interior would have been sublime. You seldom see orange cars at auction, plus the chrome wheels, despite their rarity, look out of place on such an utilitarian car.

This is by no means an indictment on the quality of the build, I am commenting from an aesthetic point of view. You see the same situation when a rare Ferrari hits the auction block. Anything other that red goes for less
cecil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Shop 181 at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale 2016 Reply with quote

Observations noted: 1. A lot of cars sold on Sunday for less than I expected. My conclusion: Don't sell on Sunday, seems like we had the left over buyers.
2. Seems like the announcers didn't know about a lot of cars, can't expect them to, but should have better notes. Car should have gone for $10-15 K more. My genuine sympathy goes to seller. Buyer got the Deal of the Century!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Shop 181 at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale 2016 Reply with quote

No doubt-it seemed after Sat, that Sun had the leftovers and you could get a deal on a car for 20-30k.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Shop 181 at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale 2016 Reply with quote

No doubt-it seemed after Sat, that Sun had the leftovers and you could get a deal on a car for 20-30k.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Shop 181 at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale 2016 Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: