Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine seized
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjsuner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Engine seized Reply with quote

Hi Guys
Sad day for me today, as i had to tow my little bug home Sad I had just hopped on the freeway, and was getting up to speed, when my engine died, but there was no loud noise or anything. After that, i coasted to a stop, and tried to start it, but only got the starter turning over once, and then nothing.

I went out, and tried to turn the pulley by hand, but to no avail, it would'nt budge Shocked So now i am really thinking that the engine is seized.

Right before the engine died, my oil pressure light came on (which it sometimes does on a tight turn, which the on-ramp was). Once i got home, i tried turning the crankshaft pulley with a wrench, but it still would'nt move.

Any help? I would really hate to have to tear my 1776 down Sad

Last edited by cjsuner on Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine may be seized...? Reply with quote

It won't turn CCW either? Is there any oil in the case?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cjsuner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine may be seized...? Reply with quote

Nope, won't budge either way. Yes there is oil in the case.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine may be seized...? Reply with quote

Whatever it is, you're going to have to tear down. You can't turn it, so something gave.
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Engine may be seized...? Reply with quote

is the oil shimmery?

pull it apart and post the carnage!
cjsuner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Engine may be seized...? Reply with quote

Yes, it seems to be shimry. Though when it broke down, i added some new oil (while i was waiting to get towed) jsut to see if that would do anything, which of course it didn't. so im not 100% seeing the oil that was in here when it broke down.

This is my DD car sadly, so right now I am looking at getting a new longblock. I don't think I have the time to do a full tear down and rebuild, so i will have to go with a assembled longblock. Anybody have any suggestions on places to buy? i'm thinking somewhere in the 2100cc size engine. Right now Mofoco looks pretty good.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Engine may be seized...? Reply with quote

cjsuner wrote:
Yes, it seems to be shimry. Though when it broke down, i added some new oil (while i was waiting to get towed) jsut to see if that would do anything, which of course it didn't. so im not 100% seeing the oil that was in here when it broke down.

This is my DD car sadly, so right now I am looking at getting a new longblock. I don't think I have the time to do a full tear down and rebuild, so i will have to go with a assembled longblock. Anybody have any suggestions on places to buy? i'm thinking somewhere in the 2100cc size engine. Right now Mofoco looks pretty good.

Yes sir, I can help. If you would like to email me direct, I can get you a quote and timeframe. [email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cjsuner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine seized Reply with quote

Hey guys, just wanted to update this thread...

I have started the tear down process, and so i dumped all of the oil out of the car. Odd thing is though, it seems like there was pleanty of oil in the engine that it should not have seized. Also, the oil was not extra shimmery with little metal flakes or anything, neither in the stock oil filter or my external oil pump... Any ideas on what could have happened?

(note crakshaft pully still won't budge)
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine seized Reply with quote

Sometimes they just seize! It's usually the #1 Main Bearing! Now make sure it's not something simple though like a problem in the head or something with the clutch or something.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine seized Reply with quote

One of the most common problems is #1 main bearing seizing.
I've never had it happen to any of them I build, but I've fixed several, and heard about a lot more.
It might even happen as often as 10% of DIY rebuilds.

Theres a lot fo stuff going on around that #1 main and it's easy to screw it up and not notice. Mahle adds .001 clearance to help prevent it. I betcha you didn't use mahle brand mains.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Engine seized Reply with quote

how old is the engine?

who set the endplay. what tolerance?

did it spin freely or "snug" when built?

Adding oil after the fact never fixes anything....
having added afterwards, should have indicated an "over filled" amount if the level was fine previously.

what type of pump? what type of crank?
(once had a CW crank with the Al plugs for oil passageways. plug came out and wedged into oil pump gears. gear spun on shaft, lost pressure.

How soon do you want a long block? I have options avail on hand now.
1776-2332.....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: