Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2013 VW Beetle steering lock service question
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: 2013 VW Beetle steering lock service question Reply with quote

Quote:

Hi all, I have a 2013 Beetle, 2.5L. I purchased the car used about a year ago and it has 35k miles on it.

Over last weekend, my beetle displayed "steering lock service" "service now!" messages with audible beeps upon start. The messages were blinking and I think something else was blinking as well, but it all went away within a few seconds.This happened after I pushed to start. I don't know if I wasn't holding the push button long enough (because it didn't start on 1st attempt) or if it's some sort of malfunction or failure, but I pushed longer the 2nd time and nothing happened (the car started without any issues or warning lights).

I consulted my local dealership yesterday and they don't know what the warning message indicates. They told me "there is no such thing as steering lock on your vehicle". I tried to make an appointment but they told me they can't help until the message is somewhat permanent.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is this something serious? I'm not sure

I'm just re-posting this in the appropriate forum. It was found in the 68 up forum.
Thanks

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
gustn101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 2013 VW Beetle steering lock service question Reply with quote

Thanks for reposting. I know nothing about cars, which is why I'm scared this is a serious issue that my dealership is ignoring.

I still have warranty, though I'm not sure if this is covered by it. I made several calls and chats to dealerships and vw service and these are the responses I'm getting:
-I can't look at it if the message is no longer there. I need the message to stay permanently to see what's wrong.
-I would wait until it's a constant issue
-Your vehicle does not have a steering lock
-The only service reminder message you should be getting is for maintenance.
-We can look at it although I don't know if anything needs to be fixed.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 2013 VW Beetle steering lock service question Reply with quote

Try to find a local person with VAG-Com to scan the car and get the code. There is a forum on VWVortex.com to help you locate some one. If the there is an intermittent code, it'll be logged on one or more of the cars ecm's and you can then lookup the code to see what might be causing it and what it is about. The dealer would most likely charge you an hours service rate to do the same and then lie to about not finding anything.(Some not all)

Generally the generic scanners can only scan the main(engine) ecu and the code may or may not be there. If there is no MIL(aka CEL), it isn't an active code or may not even cause that to trip.

BTW, where are you located?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 2013 VW Beetle steering lock service question Reply with quote

I've already seen quite a few of the start buttons go bad & will display the same lights, they're frequent enough that the local dealers keep them in stock.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
gustn101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 2013 VW Beetle steering lock service question Reply with quote

THANK YOU!!! I'm in Kent, WA. I'm scheduled for service next week but I'm wondering if this is an emergency.

I read in the owners manual that anything steering related isn't safe to drive in, such as red or yellow steering lock lights, blinking or not. The manual doesn't cover the blinking message I got in text though. It hasn't happened since but I've only tried 3-4 more times throughout the days. Do you know if not holding the push start for long enough causes such message to pop up? It's never done that before, but is this a possibility?

Also, my dealership told me they'll have to run diagnostics and some things might not be covered. I thought the manufacturer's 3yrs/36000mi plan covered everything from bumper to bumper and all services (parts and labor) and fluid refills related to it except for the bumper itself. Is this not true?
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: 2013 VW Beetle steering lock service question Reply with quote

gustn101 wrote:
Is this not true?

If they can say we found nothing or it's not a problem, they will charge you and not blink an eye lash. Cold hearted at best, they are.

I went rounds with our local dealer when I was working for an independent shop about diagnostics on MAF's that they weren't allowed to to but I could, they always threatened to charge me or my customers that we sent to them for the warranty replacement of them.
73sports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: 2013 VW Beetle steering lock service question Reply with quote

gustn101 wrote:
THANK YOU!!! I'm in Kent, WA. I'm scheduled for service next week but I'm wondering if this is an emergency.

I read in the owners manual that anything steering related isn't safe to drive in, such as red or yellow steering lock lights, blinking or not. The manual doesn't cover the blinking message I got in text though. It hasn't happened since but I've only tried 3-4 more times throughout the days. Do you know if not holding the push start for long enough causes such message to pop up? It's never done that before, but is this a possibility?

Also, my dealership told me they'll have to run diagnostics and some things might not be covered. I thought the manufacturer's 3yrs/36000mi plan covered everything from bumper to bumper and all services (parts and labor) and fluid refills related to it except for the bumper itself. Is this not true?

If you have push button start, then the car has an electrically operated steering column lock. It sound to me that you went to start the car, and the column did not unlock properly (you can hear the motor operate easily from the driver's seat.) A 2013 car does have a 3/36 warranty that would cover that component. The diagnosis should also be covered. The only way it wouldn't be is if there is evidence that the system was tampered with. If you feel the dealer you are dealing with (because they are all independently owned and operated) is not being fair, contact VW Customer Care, they can help out, and make sure things are warrantied that should be. I've been a VW tech for 17 years now...

Central Jersey VW Society
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: 2013 VW Beetle steering lock service question Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:
gustn101 wrote:
Is this not true?

If they can say we found nothing or it's not a problem, they will charge you and not blink an eye lash. Cold hearted at best, they are.

I went rounds with our local dealer when I was working for an independent shop about diagnostics on MAF's that they weren't allowed to to but I could, they always threatened to charge me or my customers that we sent to them for the warranty replacement of them.

All too true, we had a local dealer that was double dipping/billing, they would charge the customer for the repair & then bill the mothership for the warranty. This became apparent when I informed the customer of recalls (sorry, campaigns) that they had paid for at the dealer & when they tried to get a refund, it was already entered as a warranty in the dealer network.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
gustn101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 2013 VW Beetle steering lock service question Reply with quote

This is all such great information I would've totally missed. Thanks everyone for all the help!

On my end, I think it all comes down to if this can wait or not. Is this a safety hazard? What could this potentially do if I don't go in anytime soon?

I don't know if I need to take it to the dealership immediately, as in this week.
73sports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: 2013 VW Beetle steering lock service question Reply with quote

I think the biggest problem that could happen is that if the lock jams or fails in the locked position, the column won't unlock; the access/start module will see this, and not let the car start. (You know if it did some fool would try to drive the car with a locked column.) Depending on where you and the car are, that could make for a bad time.

Central Jersey VW Society
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: