Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is this a standard or deluxe model 1957 beetle?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
deann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Is this a standard or deluxe model 1957 beetle? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is this a standard or deluxe model 1957 sedan? All the obvious clues have been erased by a Cal Look interior, velour headliner, dechroming?, GT steering wheel, Hurst shifter, dechromed windows?, and repaint. Previous owner had everything re-chromed inside and out: euro bumpers, speaker grill, door handles, ebrake etc. The car was delivered to Switzerland from Germany. How do I tell if there are filled-in semaphores on the car?

Thanks!
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a standard or deluxe model 1957 beetle? Reply with quote

What type of brakes does the Beetle have?

Cable brakes = standard
Hydraulic brakes = deluxe

IM guessing the Beetle is a deluxe model as evidence of the brake reservoir to the Right of your photo
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
deann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a standard or deluxe model 1957 beetle? Reply with quote

Thank you, I missed that sign right in front of me.

Are there any tricks for finding filled in semaphore holes without messing up paint or interior?
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a standard or deluxe model 1957 beetle? Reply with quote

deann wrote:
Thank you, I missed that sign right in front of me.

Are there any tricks for finding filled in semaphore holes without messing up paint or interior?

What makes you think your '57 has filled semaphore holes?

Also, those thin fridge magnet business cards work nice, just strong enough to stick to metal but weak enough to not penetrate through thick bondo to any metal that may be behind it.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
deann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a standard or deluxe model 1957 beetle? Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Keith. I'll try it.

Birth certificate says the car was delivered to Switzerland, so I'm thinking it could have semaphores. I bought it as a Cal Look bug, so many things were changed and welded up before I got it.

Do you know about any parts differences for Switzerland (like Canada and Belgium had)?
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a standard or deluxe model 1957 beetle? Reply with quote

deann wrote:
Thanks for the tip Keith. I'll try it.

Birth certificate says the car was delivered to Switzerland, so I'm thinking it could have semaphores. I bought it as a Cal Look bug, so many things were changed and welded up before I got it.

Do you know about any parts differences for Switzerland (like Canada and Belgium had)?

If there are any differences, it is stated in the BC you got. It also tell if it is a 111 or a 113.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
deann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a standard or deluxe model 1957 beetle? Reply with quote

Takk Kjell Roar.

I have a birth certificate from 1986, back before they listed M codes. I ordered a new one last week, so I will find out after a very long wait!

I was hoping Samba people could give me a quick and free answer, as compared to the VW Museum. You guys know everything!
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a standard or deluxe model 1957 beetle? Reply with quote

My oval got no M-codes, it was sold for the German market. And I would believe that was the same for some other European markets.

My BC says VW1200 Sedan de luxe type 113.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: