Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1956 oval cabriolet sold at barrett jackson, commentator
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: 1956 oval cabriolet sold at barrett jackson, commentator Reply with quote

Nicely restored 56 cab sold at barrett jackson scottsdale today for a nice $43,000. What i was irritated with is that the commentators and the "experts" who are up on stage discussing the details of the cars and sharing their "knowledge", dont know shit about VW. They pointed out the front wolfsburg crest on the hood as the "karmann badge", then said the big M radio was "a later aftermarket radio from a later year"; they said "the the dual tailpipes started in 1954", and last but not least, they said "if this car would have been a hardtop, it would have a split rear window".
They were also very shocked it brought that price. Why??? You probably couldnt buy an oval cab and restore it to that level for that money.
You would think that when 23 window busses started bringing 6 figures at their auctions, they would have realized that VWs are a big part of the collector world and have more vw educated commentators, and give them some respect. The Funny part is that i bet many of them have owned a VW in their lives at some point....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jonnyla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 oval cabriolet sold at barrett jackson, commentator Reply with quote

I thought the same things for a second, but soon I realized, I wouldn't expect anyone to know everything about all the different cars than come across the block. I also believe someone gives them notes on each car that comes across so they can discuss the vehicles.
Ill plan to go up to the auction today actually. I'll watch to see if notes are passed to them.

What I thought to be crazy was the '79 convertible that sold for 31k just a few cars before that oval convertible.
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 oval cabriolet sold at barrett jackson, commentator Reply with quote

You may be right. But they have a team of very knowledgable guys. You would think that with the increased number of VWs at their auctions now days, they would have someone on staff who is versed on VW, to "evaluate" and make "notes" on these cars, so they dont look like idiots talking about them. They have been doing this for 40 years. Just saying.
And btw, that suoer beetle doesnt surprise me actually. Although i personally could car less about a 79', there are high end collectors that look for cars such as those, last year production, very low mileage stuff. Just like that black 57 oval that had really low original mileage and was like new condition, brought $40k on ebay recently. Low mileage is the key.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 oval cabriolet sold at barrett jackson, commentator Reply with quote

I lost all respect for them when the sold a 90s mini with a 60ish title & were commenting about how original it was. There was enough backlash that they made an apology on air the next day.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 oval cabriolet sold at barrett jackson, commentator Reply with quote

Barrett Jackson is oh so wrong on so many factors, more hype and bs. IMO.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
AirCooledClassics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 oval cabriolet sold at barrett jackson, commentator Reply with quote

Their just auctiioners doing their job. if BJ didn,t succeed our car.s would be worth half today,s market value. I love there auction anyone who can sell 2500 cars in 5 days at no reserve and make everyone come back nect is god like fokes !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJoq3MtsPmc

My National Dragster article
http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCStory.asp?ID=231552
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 oval cabriolet sold at barrett jackson, commentator Reply with quote

I love BJs!

Receiving, not giving
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: