Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

Gene,

I'm glad to hear you're on the mend. I commented on your post of FB as well. That old bus really stood up to that impact. When I first saw the pictures, I figured it was a fatality crash.
An accident like that scares all of us classic VW drivers. I was just at my dentists office. He was talking about his love of riding his Harley motorcycle. I told him I drove classic VW's and we were both not driving the safest things on the rode. He responded the exact way I do when people talk about driving classic VW's. If it's my day to go, it's may day to go. Life's to short to not drive what we love.

We're all wishing you a speedy recovery from your injuries.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deepseeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

First off...Gene, I don't know you, but wish you a speedy recovery. Hopefully everything will turn out well for you in health and the insurance company takes care of you properly.

That crash pic is a dose of reality. For the past year I have been hesitant to drive my 356, as these cali drivers in San Diego tend to ride your f*cking ass. Even in the slow lane going 70. I notice myself watching my rear view more than the road. I was almost rear ended 3 times in one day. I always leave room in front. it has saved my ass, rather my cars ass, more times than not.

it saddens me to realize that I always question myself when I go to drive my bus. I have the fears of a dumbass driver, distracted driver or uninsured driver ruining all the hard labor and love that I put into something. And yes, I would rather put my 356 at risk over my buses.

Anyway, To Gene a speedy recovery and to others, just be careful out there. people tend to forget that classics don't have the capabilities and safety requirements of new cars.

61' Double Cab-restored driver
91 SYNCRO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

Gene:

Keeping you in our prayers and sending you get well wishes from Erie, PA. We have never met but I am sure I have watched earnestly as Kelly updated pictures of your bus on his old website back in the day.

I have had the pleasure of meeting Kelly and he is a great guy and you couldn't ask for better company as you go through your healing journey.

Robert

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

Glad to see you are on the mend. Keep up the positive attitude!!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

Good luck to Gene Hickman, wishing you a speedy recovery.
I saw a set walk around photos from this Bus "post accident" on Facebook.
There was not a single panel on this bus that was undamaged!
I complement who ever did the metal work on this of this bus.
I've seen more than a few of these where front panel simply rips away from the floor.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
G-wood Todd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

Glad to hear that you are mending. I wish you wellness on your journey to come. On a side note, I have to admit that your wreck inspired me to finally install seatbelts in my kombi.
and take the kids for instance "Are we going in the Volkswagen bus?" and they say "Yay!" and clap their hands and if it's a glorious day you can slide the sunroof back and let a little of the glory in and all of a sudden, it stops looking funny.

-Volkswagen ad
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

I'm so glad to hear you are recovering. I'm also very sorry you had to go through that. I wish you continued recovery.
westcoastbullies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

hang in there Gene...

someone decided it wasent your time and for that were grateful, speedy recover and keep the positive attitude.

TEAM AUOK 1984 SKATEBOARD CO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hickmangene
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for all the good wishes! I do indeed have a long road in front of me and "normal" could possibly be something I never re-attain. We'll see...

Yes, by all means PLEASE install seatbelts, and if you are in restoration mode go ahead and weld in shoulder belt mounts.... Kelly's addition probably saved my life.

You guys (and gals!) are the best!

Gene
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
Good luck to Gene Hickman, wishing you a speedy recovery.
I saw a set walk around photos from this Bus "post accident" on Facebook.
There was not a single panel on this bus that was undamaged!
I complement who ever did the metal work on this of this bus.
I've seen more than a few of these where front panel simply rips away from the floor.

Scary Photos
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1093383694...mp;theater
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

Best wishes to you Gene for a speedy and hopefully full recovery. Very frightening images post incident - hope all goes well with the insurers.
Metalwizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

Sorry Guys, been a busy last week or so. I went Sunday and did the pics and a couple of Small vids on my phone and tablet. Very amateur to say the least. When I arrived and saw the bus I was literally speechless. I knew the damage was bad from the pics I had seen, but it did not prepare for the up close and personal look at it. The front was just flat assed obliterated all the way to past the jack points behind the front wheels. Even the walk thru area floor and the seat bulkheads were out of place by 6 to 7 inches. 3/4 of the bus was twisted and mangled in different directions. I think my first or second sentence to Gene was the Man was riding in your lap and was your airbag. This bus took one hell of a beating to say the least, and one damn thing I'm proud of is that I try put shit back together stronger than it was from the factory. I hope I'm right in feeling my standards of workmanship contributed to Gene still be here also. Later
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
capedave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

To all that looked at the pics that was some amazing work.
There is no one that would think the driver survived.
Good luck and speedy recovery to you sir.
hickmangene
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

Smile

@Kelly: There is no doubt in my mind that your work on the front of this bus in '99 was above factory standards! The welds all held in the front allowing the sheet metal to absorb energy rather than popping welds and leaving me with nothing! A good word to those replacing front floors and fascia's: Weld, weld, and weld! Don't cut any corners! Put in shoulder belt mounting points! Rethink using aftermarket "blade" front bumpers - my original front bumper WITH over riders took a lot of the impact! Keep your door locks well adjusted and LOCKED when you are going down the road! Both of my doors stayed closed providing strength to the front of the bus in the crash - those crappy original locks HELD probably because I always locked them! Don't be scared - enjoy your Bus! But do things right......
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

Good to hear you're doing ok Gene, best wishes for your full recovery.
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

WOW...!!! Good luck with recovery!
1967 Freedom Camper (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

Metalwizard wrote:
I'm proud of is that I try put shit back together stronger than it was from the factory. I hope I'm right in feeling my standards of workmanship contributed to Gene still be here also. Later

Kelly, You are an inspiration along with a couple of others. During my first metal replacement of a rusted bus, I spent a many of hours reviewing your website.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
Das67bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

I have both a '67 Panel van and a Harley Wide Glide, so I hang it out pretty good because I drive/ride them alot. This just makes you think about being more careful and giving everyone else more room. There are no guarantees but you have to enjoy life.

Man, it's sad to see such a beautiful bus get crunched. And even more sad to see you get hurt Gene. Very glad you made it through it. As others have said, the Lord decided it wasn't your time.

Hang in there and I hope your recovery goes well!!! You have a huge VW family thinking of you. VW Logo

COMFORTABLY NUMB!!
-Pink Floyd
DanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

hickmangene wrote:
Don't be scared - enjoy your Bus! But do things right......

My hat's off to you. Hope you make a full recovery and get back behind the wheel of a bus soon!
Old Paint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba member? Bus wreck in Pinehurst, NC Reply with quote

Gene,
All the best. My heart sank when I first saw the picture. Hope you mend fully. This may be in poor taste, but might I offer you a classic phrase from The Samba that demonstrates the dedication and love of these old ACVW's. "That Shit'll Buff Out"!!!

1961 Ragtop
1961 Single Cab (Old Paint)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: