Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CA black plates
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: CA black plates Reply with quote

Hi,
I would appreciate some help here. Some time back someone posted a list of the original California black/yellow alphanumeric number sequenced license plates issued by DMV locations in 1963 and I'll be damned if I can find the thread. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance-- Cool
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: CA black plates Reply with quote

I found the photo but not the thread talking about it.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1153290
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: CA black plates Reply with quote

That's freakin' awesome.

On a side note, I went to AAA doing my DMV crap and I wanted to get some of the new black plates, but I found out you can't do that ^ . If you get new vanity plates in CA you cannot get "ABC 123" plates.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: CA black plates Reply with quote

Everett, that is exactly the image I was looking for! Thank you so much!! Cool
Jon
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: CA black plates Reply with quote

Damnit! I was looking for that the other day. Now I can't remember what car I wanted it for!
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: CA black plates Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

Here is the thread started by 'stale air'. He posted the list on page 11.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5373345#5373345
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: CA black plates Reply with quote

I saw a new custom black plate on a Maserati that said "0 MPG" , love that.
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: CA black plates Reply with quote

The original font size is different..Im glad mine are still all dinged up and faded..
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: CA black plates Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1153290

Ok so my matching set appears to be from Fresno but what about ZLM 614?
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: CA black plates Reply with quote

Once all the "mandatory" plates were issued (the last time CA required this) the plates were issued like they are now, sequentially and not on DMV office allocation. Your Z plate is from 1969, just before the changeover to the blue/yellow plates.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: CA black plates Reply with quote

Thanks I've had that plate since 1980, found while walking along a railroad track near Sylmar Ca.
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: CA black plates Reply with quote

Old thread, but does anyone know if it's possible to use a matched set of the old original "after 1963" black and yellow plates? By this I mean on a car that did not have them originally. I tried to find this on the DMV website, but it was not clear.

Thanks
H2OSB
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: CA black plates Reply with quote

H2OSB wrote:
Old thread, but does anyone know if it's possible to use a matched set of the old original "after 1963" black and yellow plates? By this I mean on a car that did not have them originally. I tried to find this on the DMV website, but it was not clear.

Thanks
H2OSB

I heard you can do that, but it will cost you as you have to pay for the customer number , letter combination, and you incurr a yearly fee for that. there maybe year model restrictions however. Amazing how they cant get this basic information to a customer.

this whole license plate thing in california has turned into a huge money making (wasting) industry. nearly 100 bucks a year to register my car with the same darn plates that were installed 50 years ago. All I get for that 100 bucks is a tiny year sticker and a post card sized piece of paper, which confirms what I already know, that I own the car. heck they wont even give me a replacement month sticker without a trip to a DMV office where one can wait for an hour before one of the helpful people that work for me will assist me. Dont they do know that after 10 years the month sticker becomes faded! Yet they wont mail it to me, instead I have to waste time in their long lines.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: CA black plates Reply with quote

All of things posted here can be done at AAA, quick and easy.

German Folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: CA black plates Reply with quote

Quote:

a DMV office where one can wait for an hour before one of the helpful people that work for me will assist me. Dont they do know that after 10 years the month sticker becomes faded! Yet they wont mail it to me, instead I have to waste time in their long lines.

In addition to AAA doing this service, I hope you know that you can make appointments ahead of time at your friendly local DMV office and cut the wait down to 15 minutes or so. I only go there to renew my driver license; all registration related matters I do at AAA.
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: CA black plates Reply with quote

wish we could find the rest of the list...
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: CA black plates Reply with quote

63 vwnotch wrote:

This is the list. Any B/Y plates issued after this were issued roughly sequentially like today and not allocated to a given DMV office.
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: CA black plates Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
63 vwnotch wrote:

This is the list. Any B/Y plates issued after this were issued roughly sequentially like today and not allocated to a given DMV office.

yeah it would've helped if I read through the thread before chiming in Embarassed
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: CA black plates Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
Quote:

a DMV office where one can wait for an hour before one of the helpful people that work for me will assist me. Dont they do know that after 10 years the month sticker becomes faded! Yet they wont mail it to me, instead I have to waste time in their long lines.

In addition to AAA doing this service, I hope you know that you can make appointments ahead of time at your friendly local DMV office and cut the wait down to 15 minutes or so. I only go there to renew my driver license; all registration related matters I do at AAA.

the wait for the appointment is nearly three weeks last time i did that, and even though I had an appointment, did not get seen for thitry minutes past the appointment time. one should not have to pay for aaa membership to expidite dmv service. I dropped aaa a long time ago after they tried to rip me off in an insurance claim.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: CA black plates Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
Jon Schmid wrote:
Quote:

the wait for the appointment is nearly three weeks last time i did that, and even though I had an appointment, did not get seen for thitry minutes past the appointment time. one should not have to pay for aaa membership to expidite dmv service. I dropped aaa a long time ago after they tried to rip me off in an insurance claim.

In what part of our lovely state do you live? I used the Whittier office and had no problems. The trick is like doctors' appointments--schedule them first thing in the morning so there's not this horrific backlog of people ahead of you. As for AAA, I can't vouch for their insurance but for registration and roadside help plus all the discounts you can get at various places, they're hard to beat.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: