Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Considering Tiico Kit
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan F
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Considering Tiico Kit Reply with quote

I have an opportunity to buy a used tiico Kit with everything included with ABA 2.0 motor and tiico ecu, harness, Trans adapter (I have an auto but I think it came off a manual), all cooling, hangers, power steering, and alternator bracket.

Here's the link on Craigslist

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/pts/5392291681.html

I would be buying with US dollars and getting approx 30% off plus he's negotiable.

The original case had a holed piston so he bought an Aba (think it's 2.0) and replaced the head gasket, new timing chain, valve train was undamaged and swapped in Tiico head, the only difference is the new dizzy from the aba block has a different hall sensor so my mechanic would need to bring in the old hall sensor from the tiico dizzy and adapt it to the aba distributor so the tiico ecu works. Otherwise - I think it would be a pretty easy swap. He has all the hoses etc for tiico. Is there any other considerations I should consider? (Other than any issue With the auto Trans conversion?). He also has all exhaust for tiico. Just wondering if this is a good deal considering I have s solid 50k water boxer now but want more reliability and mileage going forward with the possibility of converting to aba Jetta injection down the road. Thoughts?
Alan F
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering Tiico Kit Reply with quote

Oh yea ABA has approx 85k on bottom end (kilometers - so approx 50 k miles)
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering Tiico Kit Reply with quote

Good deal, buy it.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering Tiico Kit Reply with quote

Seems like you might want to convert over to the ABA serp drive, too
Alan F
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering Tiico Kit Reply with quote

Yes - I know about the Jetta serp belt adaption and VR6 (or Carado?) Laughing starter and/or serp belt, etc
Alan F
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering Tiico Kit Reply with quote

Still unclear as to "classic tiico adapter to manual Trans (included) vs what I need for auto Trans adapter (KEP?)
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering Tiico Kit Reply with quote

You would need to know the thickness of the Tiico adapter, and then find out if KEP unit is the same dimension. You will definitely need the KEP flexplate, though. It might make more sense to just buy a new KEP kit, and then sell the Tiico adapter and flywheel assembly.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Alan F
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering Tiico Kit Reply with quote

Also - does anyone have any experience with transferring "guts" of tiico dizzy to aba or a different suitable aba dizzy that works with tiico ecu? Previous owner tried tiico brain with aba dizzy and said it was "rough". I'd consider swapping aba brain but then id need harness and intake adapted from Jetta also?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering Tiico Kit Reply with quote

Does the Tiico dist look any different than one use in the Mk2 Golf/Jetta with Digifant II? I have no experience with the Motronic used with the ABA, but Digifant and Digifant II use the same distributors, and all the four cylinder distributors that I know of that used those Hall senders were essentially interchangeable. If the Motronic dist uses the same housing, then it might be possible to swap over the guts from a Digi II unit, or vice versa

y u rune klassik?
Alan F
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering Tiico Kit Reply with quote

Don't know - I haven't looked at the tiico dizzythsy also comes with yet (picking up tomorrow) though he also has the aba dizzy and that one apparently ran "rough" in the aba block with the tiico brain and harness. The hall sensor spacing is different ? Need to compare once I get the two side by side. Not sure if the one he has is from mk Ii Jetta or not but fits aba block where tiico one does not apparently.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering Tiico Kit Reply with quote

Look around here for examples of a Digifant hall sender from a WBX, 'cause those should be the same as are found on Digi II and Tiico. See below

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

y u rune klassik?
Alan F
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering Tiico Kit Reply with quote

I do have new hall sensor in my 2.1 I could cananobolize for aba dizzy if that works.
uncommonvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering Tiico Kit Reply with quote

I'm not sure where in the USA you're from but there is a complete Tiico powered automatic Vanagon in the classifieds for $2500 obo.

Might be worth looking into?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcook52459
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Considering Tiico Kit Reply with quote

call jon at FAS.he'll have all your answers,plus parts. http://www.foreignautosupply.com/parts-accessories/
Alan F
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering Tiico Kit Reply with quote

Just got the works back across the border. It looks like it's all there. Is there a downloadable install guide for tiico? I think my mechanic could figure it out regardless (factory trained VW mechanic) but it might be helpful for details. Will post picks ASAP. I imagine a build thread would be only mildly interesting since this is old hat for most and doesn't push the exotic like Subaru turbo diesels or even TDIs. I know that a lot of the tiico components can be upgraded with Jetta fuel rail and 1.8 8v head and there's the possibility of swapping Jetta ecu, harness etc but it's an entry level start.
rcook52459
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering Tiico Kit Reply with quote

Join the yahoo tiico group.have a forum.in the file section there's a tiico install manual.not the best but it could give some information you might want.
Alan F
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering Tiico Kit Reply with quote

rcook52459
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Considering Tiico Kit Reply with quote

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/tiico/info
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Considering Tiico Kit Reply with quote

Now the fun begins.....

Yes, join the TiiCo group, it is usaully pretty quiet these days but a wealth of info and some great people willing to share their experiences. Also check out my TiiCo crate install here on the samba to get some ideas on the process.

There is a reason the original blew a hole in the piston. What revision of the ECU to you have ? Latest is E Code.

Secondly, buy the VCDS software for motronic and set up the adaptation CORRECTLY, along with timing etc. These 2 things will most likely have lead to the blown piston. Early ECU's ran very lean.

I would plan to change out the ECU, check what model your Duo Sensor is and make sure you have the latest one of those too. Serpentine conversion is nice but moves alternator position closer to lid. Stock brackets for alt and P/S pump are not overly great.

Lastly, these things are loud compared to the old 2.1l. Plan to change out the Donaldson box air cleaner with a option such as a Dodge Caravan, make sure the air intake snorkel is connected, add sound proofing into the cabin and consider swapping out the engine carrier bars from diesel to FAS cradle design.

I am currently getting ready to soundproof my cabin with everything I can afford to throw into it. I await going to the FAS engine cradle with hydraulic mounts until I get some miles out of these ones and save my pennies.

Onwards and upwards.
Alan F
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Considering Tiico Kit Reply with quote

Thanks John

I read about the ecu and but don't know what the duo sensor is? One of the pics on the yahoo site showed a second sensor besides ecu - don't know if I got that one or not. I'm calling FAS this am to enquire about ecu and flex plate. No one else has said anything about additional volume so that's a new one.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: