Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Bearing and Seal Replacement. Still Leaking After Repai
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Bearing and Seal Replacement. Still Leaking After R Reply with quote

FYI
using an impact to install new bearings will cause false brinelling (vibrating the bearing housing and balls causing dents in the bearing race) which shortens the life of the bearing. Kind of like taking an axe to a new asphalt road causes pot holes.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Bearing and Seal Replacement. Still Leaking After R Reply with quote

Took the time after work to check the torque with a nice 250 lb. torque wrench. Driver side was not torqued enough. Passenger side was torqued enough.

After getting the drives' side to spec + a little and the passenger side + a little, I took her for a drive. No luck. Still leaking.

I have a new set of rebuild kits coming on Wednesday. I will take it apart this weekend, check everything over and add the gasket behind the backing plate. Hopefully that will take care of it. I'll keep everyone updated.
My Old 70 Squareback
rosevillain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Bearing and Seal Replacement. Still Leaking After R Reply with quote

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13-16-2401

How do these look? The last time I did this twice, it was their fault. Barely worn can cause issues.
rosevillain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Bearing and Seal Replacement. Still Leaking After R Reply with quote

Edited due to double post.
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Bearing and Seal Replacement. Still Leaking After R Reply with quote

rosevillain wrote:
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13-16-2401

How do these look? The last time I did this twice, it was their fault. Barely worn can cause issues.

We looked everything over, and it all looked fine. At $20 a set, i might just order them to be sure. Seems like cheap insurance. For all I know, the ones in the car turn 50 with the car next month.

Edit: I just ordered a set. No reason not to at $20. I would rather not do this a third time, and I will already have it 100% apart.
My Old 70 Squareback
rosevillain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Bearing and Seal Replacement. Still Leaking After R Reply with quote

Good idea. Good luck.
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Bearing and Seal Replacement. Still Leaking After R Reply with quote

rosevillain wrote:
Good idea. Good luck.

Thanks for the heads up.
My Old 70 Squareback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Bearing and Seal Replacement. Still Leaking After R Reply with quote

This is a timely thread as this job is in my near future. Good to know especially about the second paper gasket behind the backing plate - as OP mentioned it's not shown in Bentley even though it is included in the rebuild kit.
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Bearing and Seal Replacement. Still Leaking After R Reply with quote

I had the same problem a few years ago. Replaced the seals twice, then a good friend suggested I check the bearing cover. Somehow it became slightly warped and didn't sit flush. A few runs with a file and sandpaper, I was good to go.
the1500club.com
Shop Lacky at the T3/34 Factory, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100094313902074
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Bearing and Seal Replacement. Still Leaking After R Reply with quote

ibjack wrote:
I had the same problem a few years ago. Replaced the seals twice, then a good friend suggested I check the bearing cover. Somehow it became slightly warped and didn't sit flush. A few runs with a file and sandpaper, I was good to go.

Another good tip. Another something to check. Thank you.
My Old 70 Squareback
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Bearing and Seal Replacement. Still Leaking After R Reply with quote

Where is the vent on a 66 manual? I am still having leaking behind the baking plates, and I want to make sure there isn't a clogged vent.

I took the time to take everything a part today. The leaking is confined to the backing plate. Inside the drum, behind the hub, was dry and clean.

The bad news is that the installation of the missing gaskets did nothing to effect the leak. It looks like I leaking exclusively at the seep hole.

So, is there a clogged vent that is causing the fluid to find the path of least resistance?
My Old 70 Squareback
RHD Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Bearing and Seal Replacement. Still Leaking After R Reply with quote

Can you post some pics of your parts once it's taken apart and cleaned? All of the pics you've posted have been external. I'd like to see the internals...all of them. Something like the exploded view in the Bentley.

Many of us have done this job with no problems, but a picture is worth a thousand words sometimes.

There are quite a few photos to be found in the gallery, but I'd like to see your parts...Thanks

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_id=520325757&start=0
I have some other projects I'd like to finish first and I want to drive this bus while I'm working on those to help stay motivated.
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Bearing and Seal Replacement. Still Leaking After R Reply with quote

Here is a picture of the seal kit i used.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A new set of spacers are in the mail. I'll take a picture of those once they are here. I will only be using the new front spacers. I don't think it will be advantageous to pull the bearings again just to replace the rear spacer. I also don't believe the bearings can be pulled without having to ruin them.

I will get a picture of the spacer kit once it comes in this week. I plan on pulling it all apart again on Monday. I have plans for the weekend that get in the way of any car repairs.

Here is the info on the bearings I ordered from rock auto.

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=4582707&cc=1370168

For fun and consolidation, here is a picture of the exploded view.

My Old 70 Squareback
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Bearing and Seal Replacement. Still Leaking After R Reply with quote

Ok. The new spacer set came in today. I am noticing that both the small and large spacers are tapered on one side. Here are the pictures.

The small spacer goes in before you put in the bearing. Is the taper (larger ID) supposed to face the bearing or is the non-taper (smaller ID)supposed to face the bearing?

The large spacer, that goes on after you put the small o-ring on the axle shaft, I assume would have the taper (large id) facing the bearing so that the oRing has a place to fit?

These are my concerns. I KNOW that I put the large spacer in with the taper towards the o-ring. I cannot remember which way I put the small spacer behind the bearing. I will be able to check which way the taper is facing when I have everything apart next week.

I'm looking forward to some guidance on this. My thought, because of the fact that it is leaking by the backing plate only, is that I have the rear spacer in backwards behind the bearing. This is causing the leak between the backing plate and the swing axle.
My Old 70 Squareback
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Bearing and Seal Replacement. Still Leaking After R Reply with quote

All I could fine was in the Haynes book and it says the inner spacer the taper goes in . I assume this means toward the diff side. I didn't find how it goes in in the Bentley.

Also found on a search that the inner spacer taper faces the diff.

Last edited by blues90 on Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Bearing and Seal Replacement. Still Leaking After R Reply with quote

blues90 wrote:
All I could fine was in the Haynes book and it says the inner spacer the taper goes in . I assume this means toward the diff side. I didn't find how it goes in in the Bentley.

Inner spacer the taper goes towards the diff, the small ID (edit) goes towards the bearing. I'm just waiting on a confirmation or two, and I will know what to look for. I'm not taking it apart till Monday or Tuesday, so I have plenty of time.

It is pretty sad that the Bentley makes no mention of the taper. 90% information still leaves 10% guessing.
My Old 70 Squareback

Last edited by one4house on Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Bearing and Seal Replacement. Still Leaking After R Reply with quote

one4house wrote:
blues90 wrote:

Inner spacer the taper goes towards the diff, the small OD goes towards the bearing. I'm just waiting on a confirmation or two, and I will know what to look for. I'm not taking it apart till Monday or Tuesday, so I have plenty of time.

It is pretty sad that the Bentley makes no mention of the taper. 90% information still leaves 10% guessing.

another site I found doing a search also says the tapered side of the inner spacer faces the diff meaning it does not face the bearing.
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Bearing and Seal Replacement. Still Leaking After R Reply with quote

blues90 wrote:

another site I found doing a search also says the tapered side of the inner spacer faces the diff meaning it does not face the bearing.

We are on the same page. The most surface area touches the bearing. The small surface area points towards the diff. I just hope they are already that way. Pulling the bearings again is going to suck if it has to be done.
My Old 70 Squareback
RHD Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Bearing and Seal Replacement. Still Leaking After R Reply with quote

The chamfers of both the thick and thin spacers face toward the gearbox. Please see #5 & #10 on the diagram above.

"Hoping" you assembled the inner spacer correctly may be why this problem has been ongoing. You should pull that bearing and confirm it's orientation.
I have some other projects I'd like to finish first and I want to drive this bus while I'm working on those to help stay motivated.
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Bearing and Seal Replacement. Still Leaking After R Reply with quote

RHD Notch wrote:

The chamfers of both the thick and thin spacers face toward the gearbox. Please see #5 & #10 on the diagram above.

Thanks for this. I am 100% on how the spacers go now. I appreciate it.

Quote:
"Hoping" you assembled the inner spacer correctly may be why this problem has been ongoing. You should pull that bearing and confirm it's orientation.

I put the spacer back in the way it came out. After 50 years of owners before me, I have no idea if it was in right or wrong when I took it apart. The first thing I will do, when I pull it apart, is confirm the orientation of the inner spacer. As of right now, the inner spacer is the only unknown.
My Old 70 Squareback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: