Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone know the history of this car?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
magdelyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Anyone know the history of this car? Reply with quote

I bought a orange customized 1967 VW Type 3 that had been damaged in an accident. I have been doing a teardown. When I took off the right (passenger) side rear panel, I found the markings (pictured below) "ICK" and "Low Profile." Anyone know the history of this care?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1973 vw super beetle
1988 Jetta
2001 Jetta
1959 beetle, ragtop sunroof
1973 bus westfalia (presently owned)
1967 squareback custom (just bought 04/11/2015)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
68vwfasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone know the history of this car? Reply with quote

No idea. But it is interesting car. Suicide doors. Not sure I like those. I think a tonneau cover over the cargo are would look cool.

I have the same wheels on my fastback.

What's your plans for it?
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone know the history of this car? Reply with quote

It was in a VW Trends feature. And I`m pretty sure on the cover too.
magdelyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone know the history of this car? Reply with quote

68vwfasty: I have taken off the body panels, and see that the work done on it was really shoddy. I am going to replace the floor pans, and am thinking about customizing it into a mid-engine car, with a type 4 engine. I have a Porsche 914 transmission and engine I can put in, but will have to engineer and weld a frame for it.

Bryan67: Do you recall about when the issue came out?

1973 vw super beetle
1988 Jetta
2001 Jetta
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone know the history of this car? Reply with quote

I don't but I'll try and find the issue later today.
68vwfasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone know the history of this car? Reply with quote

Nate did something similar but not mid-engine on his square. He might be a wealth of information. He is also a really nice guy.
Squarsche build - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=495312&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
rays-64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone know the history of this car? Reply with quote

Funny, just saw a picture of this car. Looks the same, look at the seat color pattern.
magdelyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone know the history of this car? Reply with quote

68vwfasty: That's a cool ride.

Rays-64: That's the car.

1973 vw super beetle
1988 Jetta
2001 Jetta
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone know the history of this car? Reply with quote

Yep yet another blast from the past poster on my wall back in the day T3 Cool Kinda a hack, but was cool back then.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone know the history of this car? Reply with quote

The orange color maybe me feel like I had seen it before! This was a fairly well-known 80's custom...

I dig it Cool But that probably won't surprise many... looks like a cousin of my truck: it's the chopped roadster version.

I wonder how it would look with some sort of cover for the "bed" OR even more trick-- what about a chopped/custom/folding roadster convertible top just for the front/cab area?

Have fun with it---sounds like you have some interesting plans. Very Happy
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone know the history of this car? Reply with quote

magdelyn wrote:
68vwfasty: I am going to replace the floor pans, and am thinking about customizing it into a mid-engine car, with a type 4 engine. I have a Porsche 914 transmission and engine I can put in, but will have to engineer and weld a frame for it.

I like where this is going!! Wink

Finally, someone besides Clatter and I who "gets it". My work here is done. . . Laughing

Nate M.

Squarsche build
Heavy Metal Affliction feature

For heaven's sake, put a type4 and a Porsche 5-speed in there. . . It's the right thing to do!!
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone know the history of this car? Reply with quote

magdelyn wrote:
68vwfasty: thinking about customizing it into a mid-engine car, with a type 4 engine. I have a Porsche 914 transmission and engine I can put in, but will have to engineer and weld a frame for it.

Bryan67: Do you recall about when the issue came out?

didn't Brian Fye do that?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=269496&highlight=midengine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone know the history of this car? Reply with quote

Who knows when this car was featured in VW Trends?

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone know the history of this car? Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Who knows when this car was featured in VW Trends?
I just spent 1/2 hour out in a 37º garage looking at the covers of all the 1984-1994 HotVWs and VW Trends and didn't find it. I know it was in a magazine BITD, but I can't find it right now. Perhaps it wasn't on the cover and was just a feature car inside the magazine.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone know the history of this car? Reply with quote

looking at the picture above, it was a picture of the car at a show
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone know the history of this car? Reply with quote

I was thinking the same thing Neil. I also think its in the late 80- early 90 time frame as well. I looked online for a bit at VWT covers with no luck either.

Was it called Orange Crush or some such lame thing we did back then Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone know the history of this car? Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
I was thinking the same thing Neil. I also think its in the late 80- early 90 time frame as well. I looked online for a bit at VWT covers with no luck either.

I found Orange Crush, but it's a notch.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone know the history of this car? Reply with quote

notchback wrote:
notchboy wrote:

I found Orange Crush, but it's a notch.

Laughing Atleast I remember the T3's then Wink

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone know the history of this car? Reply with quote

Okay I found it. It was in (And on) the August 1989 issue of VW Trends.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone know the history of this car? Reply with quote

Summer Cruiser!

Ahh thank God now I can sleep tonight Rolling Eyes Laughing

I used to cut the pages and tape them to make a one piece poster. This one I chose for sure back then when T3 coverage - as it is now was slim.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: