Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 pearl white / Pigalle father son project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 pearl white / Pigalle father son project Reply with quote

Looks solid!! Nice work there!
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Johnous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 pearl white / Pigalle father son project Reply with quote

Nice work, Bala! I'm gonna PM you about your body work man since I need some advice on the little rust devils in my 66...
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 pearl white / Pigalle father son project Reply with quote

Thanks guys! PM returned! Very Happy

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jakeg1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 pearl white / Pigalle father son project Reply with quote

Awesome thread, I will be following and possibly bugging you with a few questions for my 66 pigalle!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 pearl white / Pigalle father son project Reply with quote

Jakeg1999 wrote:
Awesome thread, I will be following and possibly bugging you with a few questions for my 66 pigalle!

Thank you!
The Pigalle thread I started has a lot of good info. that multiple people have posted. I may have found a spray paint for seat frames, rear seat support, etc. that is a very close match. More details later! Smile

1966 Beetle
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 pearl white / Pigalle father son project Reply with quote

Got my first new parts order from WW!

New tail light seals. Cleaned the chrome and wiped it down with alcohol.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Used 3M glue to hold them in place. Seam at the bottom always seems like a good idea. They cut them a couple inches long so you can make them fit just right with no gap.

Carefully installed so as not to crack the lens. You can just see them after tightening down.

Next, in preparation for installing my completed headlight assemblies I wanted to make sure every connection is clean and shinny. As mentioned I'm staying with 6v, so as little corrosion as possible is important.

I used salt dissolved in vinegar to freshen up the wiring.

Let it soak for an hour or so and you'll have this.

I also soaked my headlight bulb holders in the same solution.

Before.

Let them soak a bit longer, maybe 2 hours. You could actually see them bubbling and all the tarnish turned the vinegar a nasty gray color.

After they soaked and I gave them a little polishing with a dremel and some sandpaper.

I got the two headlight seals I've been waiting for to re-assemble my headlights too.

My son was excited to help put them back together.
All done. Not show quality, but I think they'll look good once installed.

I reused all the original hardware and other parts. Just new seals.
I still need to get new running light bulbs and probably new headlights, so I'll wait until then to install them on the beetle.

1966 Beetle
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 pearl white / Pigalle father son project Reply with quote

Took a bit of a break from the beetle. The holidays and preparing for the annual Big Bend Bus trip kept me pretty busy.

BUT, I'm back at it. Got it raised up on taller sawhorses and took off the wheels so I can put the new tires on. And when it's on the drums it's low enough to roll out so I can seal and paint the pans and get starting working on the tranny area and the front end.

1966 Beetle
60BeetleBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 pearl white / Pigalle father son project Reply with quote

I'll be watching this thread. Love it. Just picked up a 62 uncut, black plate with original motor that's still 6v. Also has 'Patina' and need of floor pans. Going to go the same route as you. Clean it up a bit, make it safe and driveable and Drive It!
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 pearl white / Pigalle father son project Reply with quote

60BeetleBill wrote:
I'll be watching this thread. Love it. Just picked up a 62 uncut, black plate with original motor that's still 6v. Also has 'Patina' and need of floor pans. Going to go the same route as you. Clean it up a bit, make it safe and driveable and Drive It!

Awesome Bill! Let's see some pictures, or better yet start a build thread! I'd love to see it.

I have a pretty aggressive goal to have it back on the road by June for a little VW specific road rally. Gonna do my best!

1966 Beetle
bus guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 pearl white / Pigalle father son project Reply with quote

Great looking car and nice progress!

It would be a shame to see later seats in there; Have you thought about using aftermarket period headrests made for VWs, or creating something similar? You could even get matching pigalle vinyl from TMI and cover to match. Food for thought...

Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 pearl white / Pigalle father son project Reply with quote

bus guy wrote:
Great looking car and nice progress!

It would be a shame to see later seats in there; Have you thought about using aftermarket period headrests made for VWs, or creating something similar? You could even get matching pigalle vinyl from TMI and cover to match. Food for thought...

Thanks!
Those aftermarket headrests are pricey. I could maybe make something of my own. Good thought!
I'd like to get a closer look at a vintage set. I'm curious what the part that slips over the seat is made of and how. Maybe using some stock late headrests and some aluminum sheet would work. I'll look into it more for sure!

1966 Beetle
bus guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 pearl white / Pigalle father son project Reply with quote

No problem! I've owned a set of the middle ones years ago and it was a steel frame, webbing, padding etc. Definitely within the scope of diy to make, especially if you have late seats to cut up.
60BeetleBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 pearl white / Pigalle father son project Reply with quote

Bala wrote:
60BeetleBill wrote:

Awesome Bill! Let's see some pictures, or better yet start a build thread! I'd love to see it.

I have a pretty aggressive goal to have it back on the road by June for a little VW specific road rally. Gonna do my best!

I'll try and start a thread soon. Pulled the motor yesterday. I'll send you the link when I start it.
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 pearl white / Pigalle father son project Reply with quote

Bala wrote:
57BLITZ wrote:
Bala wrote:
Any tips on getting it moving? I would guess it's pretty much frozen solid.

Find yer manual. You'll want to pop the headliner panel off, slide it back into the roof, and follow the manual for removing the sunroof panel.
DO NOT crank the handle (or the shaft) if it is frozen up! You do not want to ruin the cable$$$$$!

I think the headliner panel is missing. Confused
Got it, thanks!

ive got a '64 sunroof car and im missing the headliner panel too. Apparently they aren't cheap. Last one I saw the seller wanted $300!

I may just rock mine without that panel for a while once I rebuild the sunroof.
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 pearl white / Pigalle father son project Reply with quote

TheDon wrote:
Bala wrote:
57BLITZ wrote:
Bala wrote:
Any tips on getting it moving? I would guess it's pretty much frozen solid.

Find yer manual. You'll want to pop the headliner panel off, slide it back into the roof, and follow the manual for removing the sunroof panel.
DO NOT crank the handle (or the shaft) if it is frozen up! You do not want to ruin the cable$$$$$!

I think the headliner panel is missing. Confused
Got it, thanks!

ive got a '64 sunroof car and im missing the headliner panel too. Apparently they aren't cheap. Last one I saw the seller wanted $300!

I may just rock mine without that panel for a while once I rebuild the sunroof.

Dang. I don't see a single one in the classifieds. I'm not too worried about it either, but I'll keep a look out. Maybe make a matching red one out of something for a temporary fix.

1966 Beetle
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 pearl white / Pigalle father son project Reply with quote

Wait, is this the inner panel pictured here? And it's just covered by headliner material?

If so I'm not missing it! I thought there was maybe a solid panel on the underside.
I think I only need a new handle to have a complete sunroof.

1966 Beetle
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 pearl white / Pigalle father son project Reply with quote

thats what you need. The headliner board and material mount to that.
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 pearl white / Pigalle father son project Reply with quote

TheDon wrote:
thats what you need. The headliner board and material mount to that.

Ah great, thanks! I've only had one other metal sunroof beetle. A '65 chopped top and it was missing everything except the outer panel. Once I get a new handle I'm curious to see (very carefully) if mine will even move.

1966 Beetle
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 pearl white / Pigalle father son project Reply with quote

I wish I had gotten a regular roof car. A sunroof isn't anything special to me. When I bought mine I didn't think it was somewhat rare or hard to find parts for.
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 pearl white / Pigalle father son project Reply with quote

TheDon wrote:
I wish I had gotten a regular roof car. A sunroof isn't anything special to me. When I bought mine I didn't think it was somewhat rare or hard to find parts for.

I'm inclined to agree with you, but my car "found me", so I'm cool with it. Pretty sure my pans and heater channels would have been in much better shape had it been a non-sunroof. Although, I really did enjoy doing full pans. Something new for me and a very rewarding job. The climate in central Texas should allow sporadic year round (it's 80 today but was in the teens last weekend) sunroof usage, so I'm looking forward to that.

1966 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: