Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to the Thing world, I'll have lots of questions
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: New to the Thing world, I'll have lots of questions Reply with quote

Hey guys, long story short, I can't take not having a VW any longer, it's been a while, I have owned a handful of air cooleds, most of my knowledge is with busses though.
Those have gotten out of hand price wise...I've always wanted a 181, so here I am.
I'm looking at a few on our classifieds, one in particular is my favorite, but it might be just a bit out of my price range, I'll get to that later, for now I'd like opinions on this one, and thanks in advance.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1871923
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Thing world, I'll have lots of questions Reply with quote

Never mind on that one, it's sold, is it that hard to delete your freaking ad??

This one i like, non stock color, wider rear fenders...opinions

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1871923
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Thing world, I'll have lots of questions Reply with quote

Welcome to the asylum of 181.

Well, the unit you posted looks to be a very nice car if you have more money than time or patience. Road ready and I would put it in the "very good" range.

I still think you can find near road ready, and good looking for around half that price. I'm assume no rust on either.
Deckard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Thing world, I'll have lots of questions Reply with quote

Rather than limiting your search to the classifieds here check out craigslist, and use every variation of Volkswagen, VW, and even VolkswagOn on your search, plus Thing, Kubel and 181. I often see a LOT of Things in Tennessee craigslist in better shape and thousands of dollars cheaper than most of the classifieds here.

You can also dona search on onecraigs and the like.

Good luck and check out the sticky about What to look in Thing
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: New to the Thing world, I'll have lots of questions Reply with quote

Deckard wrote:
Rather than limiting your search to the classifieds here check out craigslist, and use every variation of Volkswagen, VW, and even VolkswagOn on your search, plus Thing, Kubel and 181. I often see a LOT of Things in Tennessee craigslist in better shape and thousands of dollars cheaper than most of the classifieds here.

You can also dona search on onecraigs and the like.

Good luck and check out the sticky about What to look in Thing

Thanks for the advice, I'm OCD so I hit all of the classic car websites, craigs, autotrader etc daily.

I haven't thought to search for 181 though, I will do that.

The one that I really want is a members car, Fun 181, it's just a tad more than I want to spend...but
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: New to the Thing world, I'll have lots of questions Reply with quote

Ive seen fun 181's car in person, it is VERY nice.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: New to the Thing world, I'll have lots of questions Reply with quote

Thanks guys.
I have a couple of questions that I can't find the answers to:
First, I'm looking at '73, but it has the ear muffs and shroud heat...the vin says its a mexican '73 though, shouldn't that mean gas heater and no vent scoops?

Also, is there any difference value wise between a German and a mexican produced Thing?

Thanks!
HUGO bOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Thing world, I'll have lots of questions Reply with quote

MConstable wrote:

Also, is there any difference value wise between a German and a mexican produced Thing?

Thanks!

Should exist... Here in Europe, the USA spec ones are rare... Smile
iltis74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: New to the Thing world, I'll have lots of questions Reply with quote

I know squat about Mexican Things, but if I had a '73 I would add the side pods. It happens.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Thing world, I'll have lots of questions Reply with quote

MConstable wrote:
Thanks guys.
I have a couple of questions that I can't find the answers to:
First, I'm looking at '73, but it has the ear muffs and shroud heat...the vin says its a mexican '73 though, shouldn't that mean gas heater and no vent scoops?

Thanks!

I believe the shroud heat was optional in '73, just as the bn4 heater was optional in '74..... Or, most likely, somebody converted it to shroud heat with muffs, because the bn4 quit working..... Or they were afraid of it, as plenty of people were/are.....

Just my thoughts... Wink

By "Mexican '73" do ynot u mean Hecho en Mexico, or was it actually titled in Mexico..?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: New to the Thing world, I'll have lots of questions Reply with quote

So, the 73 had heat channels?
Deckard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: New to the Thing world, I'll have lots of questions Reply with quote

I have yet to see a '73 with factory heat-exchanger tunnels and the like. There might be one out there, but the '73's came from the factory with the Bn4 heater. One key part of the '73s engine is the smooth fan shroud without the hest exchanger ducts. You might see a '73 with it due tonan engine swap. The smooth shroud and the tin which goes with it are exoensive and hard to find since they are 181-only parts

You DO see '73's with the ear muffs/hamster cheeks/ metal boxes above the fenders. Those have been added later and are no indication that heat exchangers have been added.

I do know there are several '74s with both types of heat.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: New to the Thing world, I'll have lots of questions Reply with quote

MConstable wrote:
So, the 73 had heat channels?

Things don't have "heat channels", in the sense that a bug does..(formed metal integral to the body)

It's just heater boxes to tubing that runs along the center tunnel(exposed in the cab) and connects to a manifold at the forward opened of the tunnel.
There are also manifolds at the rear, to select forward heat or rear heat(dual zone climate control, oh Yeah!!). And of course the selectors at the Park brake handle.
Not trying to patronize here, just not sure of your understanding/experience with a Thing.... Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: