Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

FOUND! Stolen Beetle Alert Long Beach CA 2/2/2016
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SwiftTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: FOUND! Stolen Beetle Alert Long Beach CA 2/2/2016 Reply with quote

Hopefully somebody here see's my baby out there and reports it.

Stolen 2/2/2016 Long Beach California between 8:30am and 12:45pm.
Long Beach PD (562) 435-6711

Red exterior
Red seats, white headliner, black door cards, red carpet.
Original A/C-underdash unit
4 wheel discs, 2 1/2" drop spindles up front
135 fronts, 165 rears on stock wheels.
58,xxx original miles.
License plate: UWG 630
VIN: 117693126

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647441

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen Beetle Alert Long Beach CA 2/2/2016 Reply with quote

Hope she finds her way back to you. I will be watching up here in the mountains.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
graysky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Stolen Beetle Alert Long Beach CA 2/2/2016 Reply with quote

I'll keep my eyes open for it here in the South Bay, San Pedro area. This sucks.
Maddward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Stolen Beetle Alert Long Beach CA 2/2/2016 Reply with quote

Looks just like mine! I'll keep an eye out for her. I drive from OC to LA everyday so I cover some ground and drive right through Long Beach
Dake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Stolen Beetle Alert Long Beach CA 2/2/2016 Reply with quote

Man I sorry to hear this. I hope they catch who took your car. One thing I can't stand is a thief.
SwiftTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen Beetle Alert Long Beach CA 2/2/2016 Reply with quote

A couple more photos of it. I should have taken more when I had it, just never got around to it really. The car had 58,6xx miles on it when it was taken.

All714
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen Beetle Alert Long Beach CA 2/2/2016 Reply with quote

Will defo keep an eye out here in Orange!! Best of luck.. .
6Kabrio7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen Beetle Alert Long Beach CA 2/2/2016 Reply with quote

Wow that really blows. Good luck.
SwiftTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen Beetle Alert Long Beach CA 2/2/2016 Reply with quote

I GOT IT BACK!!!!!!!!!

I still can't believe I was this lucky. Vehicle was found yesterday afternoon only a mile or two from where it was taken. Minimal damage, looks like most everything is there. They did tear up the original cardboard behind the dash wire cover, and melted the ignition switch wires to hot wire it. Small fixes really considering what could have happened. Hopefully once the wires are fixed up and it is running again there will be no other issues that pop up.

Now the process to theft proof it. First items are a Club steering wheel lock, maybe a Shifter lock, kill switch and or aftermarket GPS alarm. I'm open to suggestions on all of this.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen Beetle Alert Long Beach CA 2/2/2016 Reply with quote

Great news! Damn lucky!! Yes, secure it immediately! I vote "all of the above."
03hdfatboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen Beetle Alert Long Beach CA 2/2/2016 Reply with quote

Awesome
redwagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: FOUND! Stolen Beetle Alert Long Beach CA 2/2/2016 Reply with quote

A well hidden kill switch and a battery cut off with a removable key should keep it safe. A berg locking shifter would also be a good investment.
usmc1345
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: FOUND! Stolen Beetle Alert Long Beach CA 2/2/2016 Reply with quote

Glad you got her back in one piece
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: FOUND! Stolen Beetle Alert Long Beach CA 2/2/2016 Reply with quote

Never leave it in running condition when parked, even if your going into the store for 10 minutes. I always take my rotor out when unattended and have a kill switch. It's saved my ass at least once that I know of. Really glad you got it
back, thieves Suck! Did the cops fingerprint the car at all?
GB2S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: FOUND! Stolen Beetle Alert Long Beach CA 2/2/2016 Reply with quote

Who found it?

Geoff
Dake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: FOUND! Stolen Beetle Alert Long Beach CA 2/2/2016 Reply with quote

sweet
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: FOUND! Stolen Beetle Alert Long Beach CA 2/2/2016 Reply with quote

That's great news that it was found with minimal damage, sure makes up for my job being eliminated today, after 40.5 years with same company.

lovethatconvertible wrote:
Never leave it in running condition when parked, even if your going into the store for 10 minutes. I always take my rotor out when unattended and have a kill switch.

I use The Club on my VW (and my other vehicles), at least makes potential thieves think a bit before trying to steal, as it slows them up some if they don't have special tools, and could stop them if all they carry is screwdriver and hammer. And I want them to see The Club before they try to force their way or cut through the convertible top, another consideration.

I also have a "kill" switch, but not very well hidden, allows the VW to crank but not start, also a slowing technique. When I parked my VW at the terminal in San Pedro for a week while taking a cruise (1981), I did remove the distributor rotor, and also have done that at a couple VW shows (as people there are more VW-knowlegeable).
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: FOUND! Stolen Beetle Alert Long Beach CA 2/2/2016 Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
That's great news that it was found with minimal damage, sure makes up for my job being eliminated today, after 40.5 years with same company.

Damn cusser. Sorry to hear this. I hope that you have a fall back profession that will carry you to future success.
I just spent the last 5 months w/o work and was wondering if I would ever get back to it.
I wish you well.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: FOUND! Stolen Beetle Alert Long Beach CA 2/2/2016 Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
...my job being eliminated today, after 40.5 years with same company.

That really sucks, Cusser! The job market has changed quite a bit in the last 40 years, and so have the ways of going about finding a job. If you're not old enough to just pack it in and retire, I hope you have luck in finding another gig that suits you.

Great that you got your Bug back, SwifTech. That's a really bad feeling to go out to where you left your car and find that it's gone.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)

Last edited by rcooled on Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: FOUND! Stolen Beetle Alert Long Beach CA 2/2/2016 Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
Cusser wrote:
...my job being eliminated today, after 40.5 years with same company.

That really sucks, Cusser! The job market has changed quite a bit in the last 40 years, and so have the ways of going about finding a job. If you're not old enough to just pack it in and retire, I hope you have luck in finding another gig that suits you.

I shouldn't hone in on his topic, but since he got it back it's likely "ended" anyway.

I will get the maximum severance based on my years - so 52 additional weeks of pay - so I'd only be in reality missing a few months of pay, as that pay won't run out until in 2017. But the fact that the corporation - owned by Germans since 2004 - didn't have the courtesy of letting me have the "dignity" of deciding my own retirement date - that's what really sucks.

I knew something suspicious was up a few hours earlier, I got a meeting notice on Outlook from a Vice President not in my chain of command - my first E-mail ever from her - and the topic was that she "had something to share with me", so I was rightfully suspicious.

It turns out that 4 others from R&D had their jobs eliminated today too, and of course 2015 profits WERE record highs too. But the company is very greedy, and at least they didn't shave my head and direct me to the "showers". Theoretically my last day is Feb. 26th. This cut was about 8% of remaining R&D, doesn't count the 3 who left Laundry development in the last month.

The VP turned me over to an HR person I didn't know (sharing the dirty work), and she wanted to discuss "outplacement services", and I informed her that very few 63+ folks are hired in the job market, and especially in my field in Arizona, and I wasn't going to relocate for another year of work. I think it took them both by surprise because I wasn't too surprised: my age, R&D has shrunk for several years. folks who leave are not being replaced, travel budget is zero, appears all stuff will be run from Germany. I was likely the highest paid scientist too, even won their career award ($5000) a few years ago for scientific advances, pretty funny. I think that in itself will kill morale way more

At least I'm financially better off than most of the other folks let go; the HR person asked me if I was OK to walk back to my office by myself. I responded that I was NOT going to go postal or anything, and HR person responded that statement "was inappropriate". I stopped her and said: "no, the company is who is inappropriate, in the way they are treating me after the career I've had here".

Anyway, my brother is a lawyer in this state, and I'll ask him about what he thinks about age discrimination, but I'm not sure I want to really fight it, that gives the company a tiny victory by having me "want" to stay with them.

So maybe I'll finally get to my 1970 which has sat for 22 years now, that was my daily driver from 1972 to 1993.....

I also used to joke with Mrs. Cusser (as I survived too-numerous downsizings over the decades - that I could get a part-time job at O'Reilly or Autozone or Ace Hardware for a while - so who knows....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: