Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can't close convertible top
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhiaInSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Can't close convertible top Reply with quote

I have a 1972 Karmann Ghia that I've owned for just under a year. I keep the car indoors and only bring it out on sunny days. Since it is winter, I decided to raise the top just to keep dirt and dust out of the interior. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to close the top. I know it works because it was up when I bought it. It seems like there should be some kind of release like you'd have for the trunk or engine compartment because you feel resistance when you pull on the top.

Dumb question, but I just don't see how to get it closed.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't close convertible top Reply with quote

There are two catches that lock the top down...one on each side of the frame. They can be a little hard to see. Here's a couple pics from the gallery showing what they look like.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And this shows it on the frame with the top folded down.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't close convertible top Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
There are two catches that lock the top down...one on each side of the frame. They can be a little hard to see.

rcooled is correct - if you push downward on each side of your top you can release the catches from the top frame by pulling them slightly outward. It should make sense when you are looking at it.
Doch leider musst du von uns gehn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Can't close convertible top Reply with quote

Owner's Manual Instructions:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/8_72ghia/33.jpg
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: