Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can you fit a bug shell in a pickup bed?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
THX 1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:12 am    Post subject: Can you fit a bug shell in a pickup bed? Reply with quote

Wondering if anyone knows if you can fit a 50's bug without fenders or pan in the bed of an f150? Going to pick up a project and would rather not take my trailer if I can fit it in the bed.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Can you fit a bug shell in a pickup bed? Reply with quote

How wide is the inside of the bed of the truck?
THX 1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Can you fit a bug shell in a pickup bed? Reply with quote

Its about 50.5 inches inside the wheelhouses and 65" from side to side above the wheelhouses. Do you know how wide a bug is from sill to sill? Thanks for any help.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Can you fit a bug shell in a pickup bed? Reply with quote

The guy I bought these from was a trucker and rigged up my Dakota to haul them home like this! I returned his big truck ratchet strap & 2X8 when I went back for the second chassis. Twisted Evil
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Can you fit a bug shell in a pickup bed? Reply with quote

A quick search says it'll fit
Or, at least, others have made it fit.

The owner's guides list dimensions - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type1.php
ie,
Rathguten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you fit a bug shell in a pickup bed? Reply with quote

I've done this many times and can say that it does fit, though it will stick out some. Make sure to secure it and tie a red flag to the end hanging off the bed and your good to go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you fit a bug shell in a pickup bed? Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
The guy I bought these from was a trucker and rigged up my Dakota to haul them home like this! I returned his big truck ratchet strap & 2X8 when I went back for the second chassis. Twisted Evil

You got bigger balls then I do. Shocked Pass any cops with that setup? Laughing
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you fit a bug shell in a pickup bed? Reply with quote

It will fit in an el camino, i borrowed one when I moved. Should fit a bigger truck no problem.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you fit a bug shell in a pickup bed? Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

You got bigger balls then I do. Shocked Pass any cops with that setup? Laughing

Mike- this is one of my favorite rescue photos of all time!

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you fit a bug shell in a pickup bed? Reply with quote

The nose was well wedged into my bedliner & it was secure for 100 miles home on Interstate 5. The bad part was riding my brakes all the way down the steep gravel road off his mountain near Oakland, OR. My V8/automatic transmission doesn't have any compression braking & our front brakes were just Smoking at the bottom of that grade! I barely got us stopped before we rolled out onto the 2 lane highway. Shocked They looked a little more secure, when they went on to Boise, ID about a year later.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you fit a bug shell in a pickup bed? Reply with quote

Early morning at the Pomona swap meet a few years back:

andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Can you fit a bug shell in a pickup bed? Reply with quote

I think I have transported a shell in a Ranger. Almost positive. I know I did the cab for the bug hearse (cut off behind B pillars.)
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you fit a bug shell in a pickup bed? Reply with quote

Hauled a shell in a single cab once.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you fit a bug shell in a pickup bed? Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
They looked a little more secure, when they went on to Boise, ID about a year later.

Wait just a sec. Can you expand a little on this part Mike? Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Can you fit a bug shell in a pickup bed? Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:
They looked a little more secure, when they went on to Boise, ID about a year later.

Wait just a sec. Can you expand a little on this part Mike? Cool

The guy in the picture, who bought them from me was from Boise, ID. He told me he already had an oval window hardtop finished, but really wanted a ragtop! He is a welder, who builds 60' steel fishing boats on the Columbia River.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: