Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

One needs to be tenacious in love and life....You now have the best of both worlds, a modern power-plant connected to a sweet classic van.
All4You
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

So true to both points Ahmed.

A guy in the lot this morning did a double take. When I pulled up next to him he said .... "THATS A LEGEND"
All4You
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

Some updates:

Installed a wrap around lower grill.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The 30 year old seats were pretty dirty even though they are in great shape.

Was good to see the brown washing out

AC vents came down painlessly and it was great to see that the recall reinforcement plates were already installed. Judging from the broken plastic at he attachment sites, looks like upgrade was done as a necessity after the head injury occurred and not preventatively.

I used Frost King as sound proofing and insulation and the stock foor insulation boards (bleached them first). There's a noticeable difference in sound even without the door panels in. Notice the child car seat attachments in second pic (two d-rings bolted down in floor behind middle bench location and two quick links at seat belt attachments behind rear bench location)

I've had this Vinyl for a while now and had it sowed locally using the door panels as a template. The plan is to use MDF to recreate door panels and attach the Vinyl with a neoprene backing. Hoping the "VW blue", will bring together the brown seats and black carpet and soon to be black dash.

This is the plan for the front seats but we shall see what actually happens.

Next order of business is to do the dash job and have the rust around the windshield repaired before starting to focus on updated electronics (radio, cameras, LED bar, speakers) and finally door panels.

Hoping to have more positive updates soon. It feels like the process never ends but at least the mechanical aspects are nearly all addressed and the remaining work is mainly cosmetic. Thanks again to Andrew for the mechanical work. Van runs like a champ. The only problems so far have o do with the poor quality axles and CV boots.

All4HIM
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

The CVs were the only thing you skimped on! Great to see the interior coming together. That will be so much nicer to drive once you get seats, carpet, and panels in. Cool idea on the front seats.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
All4You
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

I sure regret it! Didn't do the research early on and loved the price of the EMPIs. Other than the constant knocking I'm getting from the back, the car runs smooth as butter. 944 CVs for the rear coming soon! Also hoping the get my locker set up going. Anyone have a link to a thread that describes the install of locker set up to non-locker syncro?

Utah from 45,000ft

All4Him
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

Hi,
Sorry to hear about the EMPIs, they are hit or miss.
944 CVs will help.

As far as the locker install.....I have posted many pictures in the Corter van build thread of the lockers, plumbing and a few tricks for installation.
Not a write up by any means, but at least a few pics to help.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525134&highlight=corter

Finding them will be up to you.
Hope this helps.

dylan
All4You
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

Page 22 - thanks Dylan. The pics will be helpful. Do you have a link to the part you use to tap into the vacuum line? I don't think I have that in my set up.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

All4You wrote:
Page 22 - thanks Dylan. The pics will be helpful. Do you have a link to the part you use to tap into the vacuum line? I don't think I have that in my set up.

I made that and can make/send you one if you like.
It is just press in to install.
If so, just pmail me and I will have one in the mail tomorrow.

d
All4You
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

Cool. Thanks

On a side note Im peripherally watching Point Break on a flight and noticed a high top vanagon. Not sure if its a syncro.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

All4You wrote:
Anyone have a link to a thread that describes the install of locker set up to non-locker syncro?

You won't need that long wiring run in your picture. Just the electrical board with the lights with the plug on the end. The long run of wiring is alreaady in the dash and under the van for all three lights.

When I hooked mine up, I just cut the brake booster hose right there by the panel. I got vacuum Y's at the autoparts store (Helper brand assortment) and I used 1/4" landscape tubing (Homedepot) to the switches and for the long runs to the decoupler and locker. I've done this twice now and it seems to work better than stock. The vaccum is strong (no check valve needed even) and nothing ever came loose. Saves installing the cannister and another long run of vacuum hose.
All4You
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

Dave, thanks for the advice. That does look pretty straightforward. I didn't realize that part of the wiring setup is already there. Will post when I get in there.
WLD*WSTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

All4You wrote:
A guy in the lot this morning did a double take. When I pulled up next to him he said .... "THATS A LEGEND"

How many other cars could you drive that would elicit that type of response there on that little island??

Now you need to find an owner of a similar Vanagon with the stock engine, that will let you drive it for 20-30 miles, city and highway. Then you'll really have an appreciation of how the Subaru has transformed your ride.

A box shouldn't travel over 60mph?? Google "Porsche B32". Laughing
All4You
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

Well.. You're right. Maybe not legends but there are plenty of classics. As for the appreciation, taking into account the time, effort and money spent on the box is enough to highly appreciate it. I would love to drive a stock syncro though. My box has an extrinsic speed limit of 65 - set by my level of discomfort with consistently keeping engine at 3500rpm. If I had a 5th gear things would be different.

All4Him
All4You
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

Windshield rust is getting repaired. Corner is sanded down while the middle section is sanded, already cut and ready for a patch. We considered replacing the whole front panel but decided against it as we figured that it may promote more rust in the long run. looks to be the right decision as the rust is localized to 2-3 places.

All4You
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

Ready for paint. Hope my water issues have been resolved.

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

All4You wrote:
Well.. You're right. Maybe not legends but there are plenty of classics. As for the appreciation, taking into account the time, effort and money spent on the box is enough to highly appreciate it. I would love to drive a stock syncro though. My box has an extrinsic speed limit of 65 - set by my level of discomfort with consistently keeping engine at 3500rpm. If I had a 5th gear things would be different.

All4Him

Nice work! Very Happy

Regarding engine rpm...I've been driving an EJ 25 for almost 10 years now. It has NO issue going near 4000 rpm for hours and days on end. I regularly drive it at 3800 rpm (70mph) for literally days sometimes. Just finished a 2600 mile one week trip from MD to Key West and back.

(At one time I had a tranny with a taller 4th gear (0.77) to lower the highway rpm's. I actually did not like the power loss climbing hills and when I had the opportunity I went back to stock gearing...YMMV)

So.... try hard to get over the engine rpm being too high. It is truly not an issue with that engine. It loves to rev.... you may cringe at first but then you'll get used to it and be fine... enjoy! Very Happy Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
All4You
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

So.... try hard to get over the engine rpm being too high. It is truly not an issue with that engine. It loves to rev.... you may cringe at first but then you'll get used to it and be fine... enjoy! Very Happy Very Happy

Dave, that's really good to know. That 3k mark is such a sweet spot in the rpm range. My magnaflow exhaust from RMW seems to quiet down around there also, otherwise the sound would be unbearable. Now I'm going to need a new sway bar from T3 to keep things steady at high speeds. Razz
All4You
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

Ok. So the front is all done and looks great!

Problem is that I'm still getting water in the footwells after a wash. The seal looks really good so I doubt it's the windshield. Will be pulling the dash soon to get some answers but in the meantime any thoughts?

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

Have friend and a hose place water on the windshield while you are inside watching for the leaks. My bet is that the seal looks good but is actually allowing water inside. The popular method is to add a sealant under the seal after it is installed....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
All4You
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

Dave, it looks like that will be the test with the highest diagnostic yield. I did just realize though that the antenna is out but I shouldn't get water on the passenger side if that were the cause. What about the grill and vent systems? Heard these can also be sites of breach

I am tempted to just wake up at 4am tomorrow to dismantle the dash and get an answer. It's supposed to rain/snow up here all day so it will be a natural test.

All4Him
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: