Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
All4You
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

flomulgator wrote:
Thanks for the info on the switches. After measuring and comparing mine, they appear to be exactly the same. I like the switch housing they offer, I'll probably pick up a couple of those and mimic your install location.

FYI. Height wise, 4 switches in the plastic housing fit perfectly, even to the point where the notches on each of switches keep it locked into the dashboard. Width wise however, I did have to cut about 1/8th inch off each side of the housing to fit.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647477&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
All4You
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

3,000 mile update:

- 1 torn cv boot (EMPI)
- Some knocking in one of the CV joints (EMPI). Will soon be replacing the EMPI CVs with 944's.
- 1 leaking coolant hose (small leak). Replaced without issue.
- Recently started getting a soft brake pedal that requires pumping to stiffen up. No leaks in the system and brake fluid level is normal. Will be replacing the master cylinder this weekend.

Otherwise looking forward to round 2 at Flint's shop. He will be putting in my rebuilt trans, 944 CVs, and will hopefully trouble shoot the AC and locker set up. Last things on the list are engine skid plate and rust protection in preparation for the winter.

Icing on the cake are the Recaro's I am waiting on from Marek in Poland.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1562930.jpg[/

All4Him
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647477&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

Send it right up, it's a great time to get the AC working. I just bought 12 acres of land, it has a great trail on it going to the peak of the mountain, you need the rear diff lock to make it. Once on the top, you're at the best campsite around, Nobody else in sight. We'll get your locker working and have you test it out there.

Can't wait to see that interior, it looks great in the pictures.

Andrew-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
All4You
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

Andrew, that sounds awesome. I am looking forward to the 2hr trip north and checking out the property. Congrats on the purchase - it's well deserved. I might hit up some trails in Vermont before I stop by.

Just got the master cylinder swapped out and the brakes work perfectly. Also did the first oil change. Mobil one 5-30.

All4Him
All4You
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

Long time since the last post. Since then I took the syncro to Flint's for:
- 944 CVs all around to replace the troublesome EMPIs
- T3's sway bar and drop links
- rear locker and panel install
- custom rear skid plate. BTW Andrew came up with a neat solution the RMW lack of skid plate options. He used the stock plate, and cut the rear mounting tabs and welded them on the sides to attach to the carrier bar and underneath the engine mounts. I can post pics if someone is interested.

5000k miles and its is still running strong. Getting more and more reliable which is good as I'm planning on a 7k mile cross country trip this summer with the family.

Decided to splurge on some recaro's a while ago. Just got them in from Poland. Marek's info is in the photo if anyone is interested. He refurbished the seat with the materials I picked and customized them to my needs (arm rests, lumbar support etc). Cost totaled 1500 shipped for both. Takes months.... Many months. I'm still getting the hang of the firm support but seems worth it so far.

This is from last week. So much fun but feel so guilty after seeing the salt everywhere.

For others cross country trip I plan to take out the middle bench and put this set up behind the front seats. The dometic/SMEV unit is from EBay.uk. Model is SMEV 9722. Fits right in the black box. Hope to make it slide out of the van using lock in/lock out drawer sliders. Leaning toward a manual pump water supply like the lifesaver Jerry can unit. Feedback or advice welcome.

All4Him
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

Can't wait to see what you'll do with that sink and fridge. Those seats cane out great!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
All4You
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

This is it! Hopefully the last major upgrade in preparation for the summer's 7k mile cross country trip through the national parks with the family. I still have to put together the kitchenette and am contemplating slide out versus swing out burner/sink unit. Before getting to the rooftop expedition rack I can give some feedback on the recaro's. It was hard to get the tush accustomed to the firmness and my upper legs would start to hurt even during short trips. After about 1k miles with them I seem to be braking them in and they are super comfortable. No back pain... Great support on turns.. Arms rests are a bonus.

As for the rack, I wanted an expedition style rack and didnt want to brake the bank with the ARB rack. I hooked up with Rocky at SoFlo bumpers who had this 87x49in flat rack that he sells for Toyota's. Cost was around 500 + shipping from FL and includes the 8 mounts. . It fits JUST right. At the highest mount settings it clears the roof by centimeters and touchest it in the middle. It's very sturdy and holds my weight no problem. It also comes with a wheel mount which I didn't put on.

All4Him
All4You
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

Just got the AC "fixed". It works quite well but the idle bottomed out on me a few times and the car stalled with AC on while switching gears. RMW just told me that they wire in a "AC switch" wire that should connect to a red/blue wire in junction box coming from compressor. The compressor belt is also a bit loose - could this be the culprit?

Anyway, I am pleasantly surprised by the overall AC function with R134. The overhead tunnel works better than expected and on a 90F day, I had the car sitting stationary for 1hr with inside kept comfortable in second setting. Haven't measured the temp at the vents but its probably somewhere in low 40s.

To get to this point, I ripped out all of the AC lines and had my local hydraulic shop replicate them. New expansion valve. New receiver drier. Insulation for lines in engine bay. anti-abrasion covering on lines running underneath van (orange). Evaporator flushed out. New foam for evap unit. Converted to R134.

One pearl is to re-connect drip tubes for evap water tray through speaker holes. This saved me the hassle of dropping the evap unit a second time when I realized they had dislodged.

More to pics to come.

All4You
All4You
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

Insulated the low side AC hoses in the engine bay.

To try to resolve the stalling with AC on I Tightened the compressor belt (it was a pain with the RMW exhaust heat shield needing to come out). Cleaned out the Idle Air Control valve and increased idle rpm from 500 to about 800. While it helped the stalling issue, it made my idle during cold starts erratic. Surges to 2 or 3k when in neutral. Not sure what the next step will be.

Still love the Subaru however. This engine is butter. Soo smooth and the power is perfect. Fortunate that I haven't had to add oil between oil changes. Stock gearing with 16" tires is just right for me.

Decided to tackle the trunk. Got some thick flooring vinyl material from HD and used heavy duty scissors to cut new panels (using old ones as a template) and deck cover. Used a 6 sheet single hole punch to make holes for panel clips. Very easy project and good alternative to other home made panels. Hope it lasts.

Last update for now: picked up a roof box from CL in prep for cross country trip in 3 weeks. Will be hitting up badlands, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Big Sur (yeah I know...), Grand Canyon, Zion, Moab and Colorado Rockies with the the wife and two youngens. Because my son has a severe food allergy, we need a functional cooking space. I decided to put the kitchenette in the back to make the most of the space. Will be posting as I start the upgrade.

All4Him
All4You
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

Managed to hack up a black box to make it fit the SMEV sink/burner combo. Used locking sliders to make it pull out. Will put in water tank and pump next. Plan to use a small propane bottle. Also came across a deal on another cargo box that I couldn't pass up.

All4Him
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

How's the trip going?

Popcorn

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
All4You
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

Hi Joe,

Well - it has been an adventure for sure. We left NY on Jul 7th and plan to return on Aug 15th. In total it will be 7500 miles or so. The van has been running line a champ. Blew the AC compressor clutch and replaced it on the road Turns out that my low fan setting was out and that was overwhelming the AC. Once I replaced the compressor clutch and fan resistor, all works as well as possible. The charcoal canister is making a weird noise now and im getting a lot of suction when I open the gas cap - anyone know if I can just unplug the vent line gong into the charcoal canister??

ANyhow, before I left I stopped by Flint's to get everything checked out. Its always fun to see his projects.

This was the set up when we headed out.

and heres my working odometer at the start

We drove through State College, PA my alma mater and spent the first night in Cleveland. Visiting friends in Grand Rapids Michigan who put us up for the night and then other friends in Chicago. The big city was way to stressful so we just drove on to Madison, WI. Our first national park was Badlands in SD followed by Black Hills national Forest and Mt Rushmore. Badlands was amazing and I really like Black Hills. If they packaged the air from Black Hills in a can, I would buy it.

This place just pops up out of nowhere in the flatlands of SD.

Washboard road in badlands.

Our first wild animal - there were a lot more to come.

We did Mt. Rushmore of course and only managed to sneak a peak at Crazy Horse from a distance.

The drive from SD into Wyoming and into the Tetons and southern edge of Yellowstone was the most enjoyable. At times it just seemed like we were on another planet. You can just imagine Mamoths walking around. BTW - those big bumpers that some people think are for show, are a must out here. That is unless you want that Elk, Big horn sheep or deer to end up inside your car next to you.

All4You
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

BTW, Here is the link to the road trip itinerary

https://roadtrippers.com/map?a2=t!16822210&lat...9646945264

Grand Tetons - there are no words to describe the majesty of this mountain range.

Yellowstone and the Teton forest were wild. Animals everywhere. Grizzlies, elk, moose, wolves, bobcats and miles of wilderness. We managed to see one brown bear in the wild.

Another "accessory" that I was thankful I had was the LED bar on the front. May have saved our lives out here. Certainly not a "stylish" thing out here but a must have.

Regular lights

With LED light

Went through Yellowstone park in one day and did Grand Tetons the other two. I could have stayed here the entire trip.

Old faithful.

Up until this point we mostly stayed on hotels and a cabin in Yellowstone. From there we went south through the Great Salt Lake and just by chance stopped at a rest stop on I 80 that turned out to be the Bonneville Salt Flats - I had no idea. That lifted my spirit for the upcoming 500 mile drive through the Nevada desert, in which we almost ran out of gas.

Yosemite was spectacular. We stayed in the Half Dome Village tents. Reservations were made 4 months in advance.

Here are some pics from the hikes. I'm pretty sure I will never again see anything worldly that is as beautiful as this.

Stayed there for 4 nights and headed west. The plan was Big Sur but of course the mud slides shut everything down there so we went to Monterey bay to see the aquarium and then headed down to LA where I got my oil changed the compressor worked on.

Here I am in front of Auto-Meister in Manhattan Beach CA. Robert managed to get me a low speed fan resistor within an hour compared to everyone else's "it will take days".

And this is where the odometer sat at the beginning of this week.

We are now in Zion, Utah. Drove through Las Vegas and couldn't stay there - wasn't for us. So we are running a few days ahead of schedule. By God's will we will in the North Rim of the Grand Canyon tomorrow and plan to stop by Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe bend. We are thinking about visiting Monument Valley and will plan to tour Mesa Verde before heading back through the Midwest.

Ciao for now and all the best

All4Him
All4You
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

Just reposting this so that maybe I will have an answer before the drive to Grand Canyon.

The charcoal canister is making a weird noise (intermittent humming) and im getting a lot of suction when I open the gas cap - anyone know if I can just unplug the vent line gong into the charcoal canister from the fuel tank??
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

you should be able to. w/o any issue.

just out from monument valley, check out the Mokie Dugway and Muley point..
take the 17mi drive thru Valley of the Gods.

then Hovenweep and Canyons of the ancients on the way to mesa verde.

take the million dollar highway from Durango to Montrose..
Black canyon of the gunnison and Rt50 out across CO.

your near Pikes Peak and Garden of the Gods then.

so much good stuff in the 4 corners area.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
All4You
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

Hey Dan from Syracuse. Looks like you're also far away from home! Thanks for the tips. I will try to follow the route. Yes - 4 corners area looks like a treasure of adventures. will possible spend a few days there.

Safe driving

All4Him
All4You
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

Ended up taking out the rubber grommet from gas cap. Hope no water gets in there as it's pretty loose now.

joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

What an epic, perfect summer trip. Yosemite is on my list; hope to get there soon. I hope you enjoy Colorado, safe travels!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
All4You
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

Thanks Joe. Hope you make it there soon.

After Zion we headed to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. I was amazed how quickly the terrain and the environment changed throughout the trip but nowhere was this more obvious than around the continental divide. We went from desert to lush pine forest around the Grand Canyon. Elevation was around 8k ft.

Nice! Not sure what that thing was but it took my eyes away from the buffalo.

Drove east to horshoe bend and made it at prime time - dusk. Just missed the sun in this pic. Spectacular nonetheless - a must see. Just stay away from the edge. We were too late for antelope canyons which is 'down the street'.

Mesa Verde was the last national park. The parks pass paid itself off x 3.

We made it back to NY safe and sound last week. East of Colorado, the only other must see for me was the International House of Prayer (IHOP) in Kansas City. We visited friends and family after that and headed home.

I was upset that we missed the eclipse by one week. Here's the image my friend got in Columbia, Missouri

Well, when it was all said and done - it truly was Epic. A once in a lifetime experience. We did it with a 5 and 2 year old, so it's one of those things in life's journey that you know you will never get back or be able to reproduce. I thank God that for 8,000 miles of adventure there were no catastrophic failures on the part of the Syncro, or any one of us for that matter.

Back to reality now, but I at least know that I can always look back on this one and grin, or look forward to the next one and smile.

All4Him
Bicycle019
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 VW Syncro, Subaru EJ25 conversion, mechanical restoration Reply with quote

Congrats on the project, and on the trip. Having grown up around NYC and now living in the West sometimes I take for granted how nice it is out here. Very Happy
'17 Golf AllTrack (wife)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: