Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

submarine belt anchor location
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CHenige
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: submarine belt anchor location Reply with quote

Per the diagram the submarine belt anchor should be slightly behind the chest. However with the poly seats the belt goes through the seat about 10" or so in front of the chest. To get the anchor behind the chest would mean wrapping the belt under the seat about 10" which really makes no sense. Am I understanding this right? Right now I plan on putting the anchor right below the seat opening.

http://www.crowenterprizes.com/Pages/Install.html
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: submarine belt anchor location Reply with quote

Its more critical in holding you lap belt down low across lower abdomen, becasue shoulder harness tend to pull lap belt up to where its dangerous.... I ran with mine through slot in poly seat and just used it.... But then I did not expect to many head-ons on auto x course....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: submarine belt anchor location Reply with quote

CHenige wrote:
Per the diagram the submarine belt anchor should be slightly behind the chest. However with the poly seats the belt goes through the seat about 10" or so in front of the chest. To get the anchor behind the chest would mean wrapping the belt under the seat about 10" which really makes no sense. Am I understanding this right? Right now I plan on putting the anchor right below the seat opening.

http://www.crowenterprizes.com/Pages/Install.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

One thing I dislike about that image is that it shows the lap belt up on the driver's belly when it should be down on the hips. Up on the belly is what the crotch belt is there to prevent in the 1st place. To keep the lap belt from riding up and causing potentially fatal intestinal injuries on impact. If the crotch belt is mounted too far back, it applies body inertia against the groin and personal equipment in that location which most of us guys would really rather NOT have substantial force applied to. The lap belt should pass over the driver's hips near where the drawing shows the bend in the side seam of the driver's suit.

I've encountered an off-brand poly seat with the slot too far forward, but that was decades ago. The poly seats I have owned and most all that I've encountered had the crotch belt slot in the correct location. Understand that they are not saying "forward of the chest" in strict vertical dimension. Your torso should be reclining somewhat and the angle of the line should be at an angle from vertical.

Just checking where would be correct in the desk chair I'm sitting in right now, which except for my lower legs, has a similar seating position to that in a buggy or Baja seat, the crotch belt should pass through the seat bottom at 15" forward of the seat back/seat bottom junction.

So sit in your poly seat and use a tape measure, or try your belts if you have them now. The mount to the frame or floor should be just a little back of a straight line from your shoulders, to your chest, to the buckle, to that slot in the seat, to the floor mount.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CHenige
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: submarine belt anchor location Reply with quote

Ohhh, I was misunderstanding chest line. I was sitting in the seat and taking a vertical line down from the center of my chest. Just sat in it and the mount will be about where it should be. And really there is not much difference because the hole in the seat really controls the belt location.

Maybe I am dense but they could have added a chest line to the diagram.

thanks for the info.
Sandjunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: submarine belt anchor location Reply with quote

What ever you do, get it right. Obviously from a safety standpoint, but from a comfort standpoint as well. My buddy built a rock crawler and his shoulder harnesses are not proper. He mounted them far more than 10 degrees below the shoulder (granted, I'm a couple inches taller). After an hour in that crawler my back was shot from being compressed down into the seat instead of being pulled back into the seat. It doesn't seem to bother him, but I haven't ridden in it since. If your going to spend hours in a rig make sure you are safe and comfortable.
CHenige
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: submarine belt anchor location Reply with quote

We are adding a tube about 10" directly behind the shoulders of the seat which is about where our shoulders are. Any lower does not really matter since the belts will "ride" on the seat. Any higher will possibly be too high for a shorter person. Only issue we still have to work out is the gas tank may be in the way a little.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: submarine belt anchor location Reply with quote

Quote:
quote CHenige
Maybe I am dense but they could have added a chest line to the diagram.

I agree that their drawing and text could both use some revision for clear understanding. Other belt manufacturers aren't much clearer either. Yet this is something that instructions for really should BE very clear.

This shows where the shoulder bar and belts should be. The shoulder bar should be about even with the top of the gas tank.

Note that when you get in the car to drive, once the belts are buckled, the lap belt should be the 1st to adjust, and should not be pulled down into the crotch by the crotch belt. When the lap and then the shoulder belts are snug, the crotch belt should be snug too.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CHenige
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: submarine belt anchor location Reply with quote

Thanks that is exactly where we were planning on putting the tube. Just have to make sure we can get the the tank in.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: