Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

headlights - go big or go home?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
easilydistracted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:08 am    Post subject: headlights - go big or go home? Reply with quote

So... a lot of people want the smaller custom/motorbike style headlights on their buggys... not me. I'm a fan of the toy car look so I'm wanting bigger lights to make it look a bit more comical and friendly...

Does anyone here use bigger lights on their buggy?
If so, could you post a pic and say how big they are?
Anyone using bigger than 9 inchers?
or is that the point where it gets a little too much?

what are your thoughts? Very Happy
germanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: headlights - go big or go home? Reply with quote

Sizewise, I prefer the friendly and comic-like looking large bulps. That is purely subjective.
Another partially subjective aspect is the style of the buggy - overall the headlights have to match or melt in, not stick out in specific.

One limit you might face with very large dimensions is the lamp glass and metal case add up to some significant weight. A very heavy headlamp in combination with the vibrations during rides might cause structural damage (cracking) in the fiberglass around the mounting whole over time.
But this all of course depends on the individual layout of your buggy, the thickness of the laminate, and your driving frequency and driving mode (e.g. offroad use might cause more vibrations than onroad use).

For my taste, 9 inch would be a little too much. Some people drive with smaller steering wheels...
I would not go beyond 7 inch such as mine has:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: headlights - go big or go home? Reply with quote

x2.
I like the classic look of a buggy with round headlights like the one in the above picture.

Last edited by tisius on Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:32 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easilydistracted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: headlights - go big or go home? Reply with quote

germanx wrote:
...One limit you might face with very large dimensions is the lamp glass and metal case add up to some significant weight. A very heavy headlamp in combination with the vibrations during rides might cause structural damage (cracking) in the fiberglass around the mounting whole over time.
But this all of course depends on the individual layout of your buggy, the thickness of the laminate, and your driving frequency and driving mode (e.g. offroad use might cause more vibrations than onroad use)...

Aye... i didn't think about the weight aspect... food for thought. Thanks! Smile

I notice a little spotlight on yours... i spotted a spot! Can you tell me more?
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: headlights - go big or go home? Reply with quote

I picked up a buggy a few years ago with the small motorcycle headlights. Not only were they single filament and not legal where I live, but they looked out of place.

The 7 inch bucket is classic, and tasteful styling.

If you want a bigger look, you can get the Eye Lashes and put on them. Not much weight added to speak of, but make them look huge. And clown-ish.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: headlights - go big or go home? Reply with quote

Quote:
I notice a little spotlight on yours... i spotted a spot! Can you tell me more?

This is an orginal Searchlight from Hella. It has a Mirror on the backend and the mirror frame part rotates to operate the light.

There are some for sale in the bay Germany:
search for "Hella Suchscheinwerfer"
easilydistracted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: headlights - go big or go home? Reply with quote

Thank you! I'll have a look! Smile
Your buggy is very nice! I like the colour and your steering wheel too! Cool
How wide are your front wheels?
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: headlights - go big or go home? Reply with quote

When I restore a Manx I always put 7" Dietz 820s on it, however Derek Jenkins Manx with the Barrett full tube chassis and which was in Eurotuner magazine has 7.5" PIAA headlights and foglights which I think look great http://www.superstreetonline.com/features/eurp-1007-1970-meyers-manx-buggy/

Last edited by BL3Manx on Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
daanbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: headlights - go big or go home? Reply with quote

AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: headlights - go big or go home? Reply with quote

Early in the rebuild.
Only things changed at that point were the lights and windshield. Changes the look completely. 7"

AMAC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: headlights - go big or go home? Reply with quote

Thank You!

My front tires are 145/78 R15 on 4" centerlines. But I will convert to 155/70 on 5" Calparts soon...

And no, I will not sell the centerlines:)
easilydistracted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: headlights - go big or go home? Reply with quote

lol
Sorry, centrelines aren't my bag Smile
I'm having a hard enough time trying to find some standard stock 4 lug steelies!
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: headlights - go big or go home? Reply with quote

I use 6" (technically 5-3/4") headlight housings from a Massey Ferguson or Ford tractor, as the housing & ring are paintable.

And using 5-3/4" H5006 Hi/Low-beam housings with H4 60/55W bulbs... I drill out the mounting bolt hole ID larger (~1/4") to allow the 3 headlight wires to pass through.

bnc
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: headlights - go big or go home? Reply with quote

I use the ones on the left on my buggies. They are Summit Racing off road 6in housing made of stainless steel (no rust). The 5 3/4in lights fit right in housing rubber vibration damper.
I did have to bore out bolt to hide the wires and plug the hole in the back of the housing were original loom came out.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
easilydistracted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: headlights - go big or go home? Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
When I restore a Manx I always put 7" Dietz 820s on it, however Derek Jenkins Manx with the Barrett full tube chassis and which was in Eurotuner magazine has larger PIAA headlights and foglights which I think look great http://www.superstreetonline.com/features/eurp-1007-1970-meyers-manx-buggy/

That is such an awesome buggy... not really to my style but there's plenty of nice design cues I'm taking inspiration from...

Do you think these are the same headlights?
http://www.piaa.co.uk/lamps/lampshow.asp?ID=80
parmaynu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: headlights - go big or go home? Reply with quote

germanx wrote:
Thank You!

My front tires are 145/78 R15 on 4" centerlines. But I will convert to 155/70 on 5" Calparts soon...

And no, I will not sell the centerlines:)

Germanx, how does your car drive with those skinny fronts?
germanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: headlights - go big or go home? Reply with quote

parmaynu wrote:

Germanx, how does your car drive with those skinny fronts?

To be honest, the 145s (as in the pics on the car) are not bad. The tires are 5 years old and for the occasional 2 hour rides I cannot complain.
The car does turn, steering feedback is not a gamble but ok, I notice some understeer in faster curves.
I don't think it is the tire, but most likely the beetle front axle geometry causing some understeer or rubbing due to the not ideal Ackerman geometry...
Breaking is not an issue, the major force is applied through the rear tires anyhow. Front tires don't block under normal driving condition, including some harder stops here and there... (I am not sure if the previous owner swopped the drum brake cylinders between back and front but front not blocking with the skinnies I assume he did....)
I don't like the 145s anymore as they are just a number too skinny and small for my taste. That's why I have decided to change to 155s.
The new Avon tire is much stickier being a race tire for vintage cars... so understeer should be reduced...
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: headlights - go big or go home? Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:

This is just sweet!
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: headlights - go big or go home? Reply with quote

easilydistracted wrote:

Yes the 80 Series, probably these.

http://www.motorsport-tools.com/piaa-competition-8...801we.html

didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: headlights - go big or go home? Reply with quote

easilydistracted wrote:
BL3Manx wrote:
When I restore a Manx I always put 7" Dietz 820s on it, however Derek Jenkins Manx with the Barrett full tube chassis and which was in Eurotuner magazine has larger PIAA headlights and foglights which I think look great http://www.superstreetonline.com/features/eurp-1007-1970-meyers-manx-buggy/

That is such an awesome buggy... not really to my style but there's plenty of nice design cues I'm taking inspiration from...

Only issue... PIAA doesn't appear to make Hi/Low Beam headlights - they make fog & driving lights.

bnc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: