Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Terrible smell of gas in the cabin.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
adam78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Terrible smell of gas in the cabin. Reply with quote

Hey all, I was having a hard time figuring out why my car kept stalling at 50mph. I had it down to fuel, so I slowly replaced the fuel system. Tank was steamed, new lines in the back to the carb, blew out and cleaned the metal rigid lines, new fuel sock, ect... Ever since then, it smells like i'm driving with an open gas can on my passenger seat. I replaced the brass connector at the bottom because that had a small leak to it, the only thing I can think is, what is the second hose on the bottom of the tank? My dad and I dont really know where it goes... I have rerouted one of the vent lines to outside the car via the drain hole where the spare tire is. I can only think it is that strange charcoal filter thing on the passenger side? I just noticed it the other day while sniffing around...Idk man, i'm at a loss here haha
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Terrible smell of gas in the cabin. Reply with quote

What year is your car? Was it converted from fuel injection to carburation that it has metal lines(plural)? Is there a line that runs from the charcoal canister all the way to the back into the air filter, or is the charcoal canister just venting into the trunk?
VERTED71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Terrible smell of gas in the cabin. Reply with quote

is it all the time? had a similar issue even after replacing the filler neck, hoses and fittings on my 71 SB. last resort was the gas cap. didn't seal well so got a few rubber O rings and that seamed to do the job. no more gas smell or fuel running down the fender on left hand turns. Good luck!

71 Super Beetle Vert
15x4.5 Front
15x6.5 Rear
155/60R15 74T tires FRONT
205/65/15 tires REAR
1600 Dual Port
Progessive Carb
Electronic Ignition
Tri Mil "hotdog" exhaust
Saylr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Terrible smell of gas in the cabin. Reply with quote

Maybe the fuel sender gasket? After a short drive,mine reeked too,then I noticed the dampness around the sender.
adam78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Terrible smell of gas in the cabin. Reply with quote

Hey all, sorry, I got pre-occupied redoing my whole front end. Now it's Drivable again...but only with the windows down.

It is a 1975 standard, single solex carb, rusty barn find basically. The tank has been cleaned, new sender unit with new cork gasket, and cleaned metal lines, new rubber in the rear, new sock and fuel cap.

The thing is, it didnt start making the stink until AFTER I replaced a lot of this stuff, or, it did, but that was during the summer and I had the windows down too often to notice. It always smelled a little like gas, but not this bad.

Is the cork gasket good enough? I'm thinking maybe taking up the sender gasket and glooping it with some sort of gasket maker along with the cork? It just seems funny that the smell didnt show up until I fixed the leak that was under the car.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Terrible smell of gas in the cabin. Reply with quote

where did you get the new gas cap from?
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
adam78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Terrible smell of gas in the cabin. Reply with quote

No idea, it was one of the spares thrown in the trunk when I picked up the car that the previous owner "never got around to" doing. I wont mind changing it, it just seems strange that something on the outside of the car could cause the smell to be that strong inside. My 64 thunderbird had a broken gas cap for a while, and though it spilled on sharp turns, and you could smell it outside, the inside never whiffed of the stuff.
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Terrible smell of gas in the cabin. Reply with quote

I went through the same thing - replace everything.

Including:

1. Fuel hoses, above and below tank - clamp everything
2. Gasket on gas cap
3. Fuel filler hose(s)
4. Fuel filler hose gaskets (they look like thick rubber bands)
5. Pressure test your expansion tank if you have one (not a ton of air pressure, be smart about it)
6. Replace the sender gasket

It looks like an expensive list, but it isn't.
gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Terrible smell of gas in the cabin. Reply with quote

Just replaced the sender gasket on my 71 because of the same issue, my OEM gasket is a rubber ring though. Worked for me.
gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Terrible smell of gas in the cabin. Reply with quote

Just replaced the sender gasket on my 71 because of the same issue, my OEM gasket is a rubber ring though. Worked for me.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Terrible smell of gas in the cabin. Reply with quote

Assuming that you have some of the stock system still there....(I am going to be dealing with this later today on a 73 super). There are several hoses between the filler and the tank and the vent system. Any of those failing will cause your issue. A pic of what you have would be a great idea.

OK - next to the big hose into the tank is a line thats about 1" in diamter. Porbably runs to the filler neck. Run your finger along it and them smell your finger. If it smells like gas, it;s bad. You also have several vent lines. Same deal. They should not be leaky or seeping.

Couple other quick test. Take the car for a very quick run around the block with hard left and right turns (mostly left). Then check around your gas cap for leaks. Also look at your filler hose where it goes onto the tank and the sender area. Any places that are wet from gas are problem area.

Last thing - your vent line NEEDS to be first run up as high as possible with a loop in it (like up to the hood hinge area) and then back down. You can acutally end up with gas siphoning out of the vent. One or more of these will fix your issue.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Goldbug3318
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Terrible smell of gas in the cabin. Reply with quote

Mine had the same issue. Here were my problems:

1. my filler neck (where the cap is screwed on) was bent. I straightened it to the best of my ability. I made it as flat as possible so the gas cap seal was flat & a tight fit.

2. I bought a new gas cap as well. I had to end up crimping the cap to itself so it does not free spin when you tighten it. Since my filler neck lip is not perfect (even after my "fix") I need to make sure it's tight so gas does not seep out.

3. Replaced my sending unit seal. The old one was bad.

4. Also discovered my gas tank at the sending unit area was slightly deformed, I assume it's a cheap aftermarket tank as the material (tin) here is very soft. I used an RTV designed to stand up to fuel to seal any last minor (unseen to the eye) openings.

I've now driven it as least a month after all these fixes & NO gas smell.

Good luck OP, there is no "one way" as all cars are different & there are many parts that make up the gas system in trunk.

Mike

1990 Ford Mustang Coupe
2008 Ford Mustang Coupe
2003 Chevy Corvette
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Terrible smell of gas in the cabin. Reply with quote

I had bad smell of gas in the cabin and it was the rubber (not cork) ring had broken when I replaced the sender unit. Put new one on and it was fine.

I think 75 should be rubber ring seal, not sure tho,
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Terrible smell of gas in the cabin. Reply with quote

Be aware the one or more of the small male vent lines coming from an aftermarket tank, may be leaking. Your hoses can all be new, but if a stem isn't braised in properly, you'll still get the fuel smell. I had it happen once.

Use JB weld to seal a stem where it enters.

Richard O'Brien
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: