Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

Goofing around with the TIG welder today. I made a set of 8AN bung fittings for the case that a guy wants to add the pump & cooler system to a trans thats in the van. These fittings are made from VW bungs obviously. The drain bung won't work on a Smallcar bellhousing, pretty sure it's for a VW bellhousing only. (?) Weddle pump, cooler and filter come with 8AN fittings.

I tapered a stainless pipe into a nozzle and aimed it at the mainshaft bearing. Current transaxual wisdom holds that 4th gear and the mainshaft bearing are trouble points for big engines, driving fast (65mph+). Because they are so far above the oil level they can overheat and sometimes even melt the plastic needle bearing cage inside the gear. It's a good location to squirt your cooled oil.

You'd have to mark the fitting, and add some teflon tape and "clock it" to aim at the (1/8") gap between 4th gear and the Mainshaft bearing. The nozzle took a lot of time, was a challenge. Inspired by the nozzle in Gears' thread.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nozzle welded inside.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

Nice work!
How much? Wink
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

AWESOME!
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

newfisher wrote:
Nice work!
How much? Wink

Boy I don't know. Question There's been dibs on this set....
The basic fittings are not hard to make but once was enough for the tapered woodie-style. An angled tube might be OK to do.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

Cool. Thanks for posting this. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

Sign me up for two sets!

Hans
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

Sign me up for two sets!

Hans
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

Will that still work with the SA oil plates?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

I think so. You can see the two holes for the SA oiling plates it's pretty clear of those holes.

If pipe is centered over the "MA" of "GERMANY" it aims right at the lower opening of the bearing.

Last edited by Sodo on Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
I think so. You can see the two holes for the SA oiling plates it's pretty clear of those holes. It goes directly above the R of "GERMANY".

I was kinda hoping that the volume of oil the pump is moving would create a splash on that plate and throw some in the direction of 4th gear.

I do like seeing it aimed in the right direction.

Nice work!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

I made another set.

4th gear and the bearing spin in the direction to gobble up the blast of oil. Straight pipe aims at the little oil-gathering channel below the bearing. The maximum possible angle points at this channel.

A little more angle would be preferable, but that rib (between GERMANY and the bunghole) limits how far the pipe can wobble off-axis as the bung is screwing into its threads.

Here's the set.

Then I decided to bend it a little. It wasn't easy. Next time I'd bend a longer piece of tubing THEN cut it after bending.

This angle is better. If it was just a little longer it might be better, but I don't know if it's gonna collide with stuff (such as the SA oiling plates). I don't have the oiling plates. But you can see the screwholes for the plates that Weddle put in this case.

SteveMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

A bored through tube fitting would allow greater flexibility in directing the oil flow.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

Great looking fittings man!! Cool

I'm actually looking into producing the In and OUT fittings as well, more like a bushing and an AN8 banjo fitting. It's a pita to have somebody do it, nobody cares about small batches .
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
nmerrill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

Wasn't there info in one of the trans oiling threads about brass fittings that had the correct thread for the Trans bungs?

I.E. something to use other than the stock bungs? Can't seem to find a source...

Is that m22?
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

nmerrill wrote:
Wasn't there info in one of the trans oiling threads about brass fittings that had the correct thread for the Trans bungs?

I.E. something to use other than the stock bungs? Can't seem to find a source...

Is that m22?

Hello!

that was Gears who used that, but I kind of recall he got it machined.

I'll save you the trouble to search for days the dark corners of the web. The threads are M24x1.5, there is only one place that has a reduced bushing in the USA for Porsche, but for NPT threads . I got one that I never used bc the finish is not as smooth as the picture (as I wanted somehow to put a banjo on it).
Patrick Motorsports. Don't count on the included optional seal washer to be included Evil or Very Mad
http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/screw-plug-...nsmission/

I found another one better in Europe but that's pretty much it.

That's why I'm trying to get these produced a better way Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

I specifically left out the 4th gear splash plate because I assumed it was going to interfere with direct oiling via the fill port. If the choice was between oiling via splash plate or via circulation there is no contest as to which is better. If you were shooting oil straight in (as was my original plan) the danger is that the oil could all just shoot downward off the plate instead of upwards, to the detriment of 4th gear and the mainshaft bearing. If you could get both with a nozzle like this then it would be a win-win.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

If anybody wants to bring me an SA splash plate I'd like to bolt it onto my housing and verify a nozzle can get by it. Also would like to extend the nozzle a little. I think there are a lot of splash plates already installed by the big-engine crowd because it was the best option available.

ejimmi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

Sodo have you pumped oil through the fittings to see how/where it flows? Pinching the tip of the outlet to guide the oil between the gear and case (in to the bearing) may be of benefit, as you don't want to shoot oil into the gear-mesh.

Looks like you are shooting the oil in the exact spot herman did in this thread, and he has had pretty good success even with a mag carrier. Edit: although he was squirting the bearing from both sides.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=621285

On another note, Sodo, have a look at his like new 9 year old drilled pinion bearing. Unfortunately i don't know if it is 30K/mikes or 30K/KM.

Last edited by ejimmi on Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

Great stuff. I may have seen that, but forgot about it because it was early in my research, and due to the volume of info to digest. Thanks for the link and the reminder! Here's Herman's pic next to my bung nozzle.

One thing I like most of all is the 30,000 mile report! I am becoming highly motivated to drill & oil my pinion bearing.

This bung-nozzle project is simply a hobby-endeavor to help out the folks who want to add a cooling system to a "running" transaxle.

ejimmi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler bung fittings (homebrew) Reply with quote

If you do run the oil test with the tube squirters, you may also want to retest the plate oiler you made in your housing with gear oil. I know you already tested with water but the gear oil will obviously flow differently.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: