Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What year rear trans axle?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: What year rear trans axle? Reply with quote

The only notes from the PO is that it's a freeway flyer and it has a wider track. It's currently in a '62 bug.

What year and is it a long tube transaxle with a short end or a long tube with a long end? Thanks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'67 Bus / Sundial - '59 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: What year rear trans axle? Reply with quote

To me...Looks like long tubes.. so typical 67-68 (and newer) swing axle..
The actual axles can either be long axle short spline or longer axle longer spline.
By your pictures it has 5x205 drums which usually use long axle short splines..
The 68/67 tubes are interchangeable but slightly different when compared to each other. Mainly the bearing cap and bearing seat.

Its probably not a true freeway flyer.
That term is misused A LOT to incorrectly describe a 4.13 (4.125) final drive ratio transaxle.

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
A true "Freeway Flyer" has a taller changed overdrive 4th .82 instead of a .89 or .93.. as well as taller final drive using the late Beetle 3.875.

Most confuse 67 up transaxles with the .89 4th and the 4.125 with a true flyer.

sactojesse wrote:
"Freeway flier" is a marketing phrase typically used to describe a trans w/ a 3.875 ring and pinion (tallest stock R&P offered on Type Is) and a 0.82 fourth gear ratio instead of the 0.89 or 0.93 fourth gear that normally came w/ a 3.875 R&P. . .

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Yep... look at the end casting..

Its either wider than the average hand width..... or not..

Short Left... Long Right..

Long top Short Bottom

Now telling the difference between a 67 long tube or 68 long tube .. thats additional advice...

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: What year rear trans axle? Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
To me...Looks like long tubes.. so typical 67-68 (and newer) swing axle..
The actual axles can either be long axle short spline or longer axle longer spline.
By your pictures it has 5x205 drums which usually use long axle short splines..
The 68/67 tubes are interchangeable but slightly different when compared to each other. Mainly the bearing cap and bearing seat.

That term is misused A LOT to incorrectly describe a 4.13 (4.125) final drive ratio transaxle.

Thanks for the info..... The PO said that it was rebuilt as a freeway flyer back on the late 90s. Can a non freeway flyer trans be built into a freeway flyer?

He also mentioned that the trans builder and himself picked a specific year for its wider tracking for better handling.

From the picture below, I'm guessing it's a long spline?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What year rear trans axle? Reply with quote

That looks like '68 long spline axles. They where also used in much of the rest of the world until the end of Beetle production. I have '67 axles and my 5 lug drums fit on without a spacer. VW Thing drums are long spline 5 lug drums available if you want to get rid of the spacer and run larger rear brakes.
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What year rear trans axle? Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
That looks like '68 long spline axles. They where also used in much of the rest of the world until the end of Beetle production. I have '67 axles and my 5 lug drums fit on without a spacer. VW Thing drums are long spline 5 lug drums available if you want to get rid of the spacer and run larger rear brakes.

Great info, Thanks.... I see larger drums in my future.

Hmm... Aside from the brake shoes being switched out for the larger drums, would the wheel cylinder need to be switched out also?
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What year rear trans axle? Reply with quote

You would need to swap out everything including backing plates and wheel cylinders. Other minor hardware changes as well, so it is often easiest to grab a set of used and still loaded backing plates from a '68 up Bug.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What year rear trans axle? Reply with quote

[quote="cjargo"]
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

Thanks for the info..... The PO said that it was rebuilt as a freeway flyer back on the late 90s. Can a non freeway flyer trans be built into a freeway flyer?

Yes a non freeway flyer can be made into a FF. I had it done years ago somewhere there in LA. I just can't remember where. I had the builder change 4th gear to a taller ratio for higher speed. Not just the R&P as stated above.
Good Luck

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What year rear trans axle? Reply with quote

The trans case is from a 72 or early 73. Probably has the guide tube around the input shaft.
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: What year rear trans axle? Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
You would need to swap out everything including backing plates and wheel cylinders. Other minor hardware changes as well, so it is often easiest to grab a set of used and still loaded backing plates from a '68 up Bug.

Great advice. That will be my next prowl at the local swap meet.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: