Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alright how does the window washer on a 72 square work (upda
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
COtype3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Alright how does the window washer on a 72 square work (upda Reply with quote

I am wondering how to make it work. I filled it and nothing. Not sure i have been tracing the lines one goes into the firewall but not sure from there. I have heard i need to fill the spare but not sure what that means.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joshivore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Alright how does the window washer on a 72 square work ( Reply with quote

the spare tire in the front provides the air pressure to spray the window washing fluid. if all else is in order, when you inflate the tire, you'll have a working window washer.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Alright how does the window washer on a 72 square work ( Reply with quote

It has an airline from the spare tire air valve. It goes to the washer fluid tank.

The screw in cap for the washer fluid tank has a spring loaded valve inside. It has a half moon shaped button that is pressed when you screw on the washer fluid cap. Once the vap has seated in the bottle a certain distance.....that button or switch pushes a spring valve releasing air pressure from the spare tite into the tank.

This pressurizes it and pushes the fluid out the out the bottom into the line to the simple valve that is behind the lever on your steeromy column

Pull the lever and it lets pressuruzed fluid to flow through to the nozzle below the windshield.

The valve in the top of the washer bottle has a specific spring load pressure. This is wo that it allows air from the spare tire into the bottle until the pressure falls to a specific psi level. Then it cuts off the airflow wo that it does not drain the spare tire below the absolute minimum.

You need to check the book for pressure listing. I know on the 411 and 412 wagons.....they had a red colored valve that worked with higher pressure so that the safety factor in the tire was left higher. This is because if the spare was to be needed for the rear end of the car....tje load factor could be higher in a wagon.

Nifty system. Its problems with age are:

1. Air leaks from the sealing ring on thr spare tire valve
2. Air leaks from the gasket on the valve that screws into the washer fluid bottle
3. The spring valve getting weak or sticking with age and allowing spare tire pressure to be lost
4. The rubber cuffs that clamp the air inlet line to the washer bottle valve rotting away and blowing loose.
5. The same types of rubber cuffs rotting away on the dash lever valve and letting the pressure line pop off.....soaking everything....or the outlet line popping loose.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Alright how does the window washer on a 72 square work ( Reply with quote

ray nailed it (as always). Once you hook up the spare tire and pressurize the system (with washer fluid in the bottle) you will quickly find out about any leaky hoses.

I would suggest for the first time you put only a minimal amount of fluid in the bottle and then hook it up to pressurized air.

There is a fluid line that runs from the bottom of the washer tank into the car to the wiper switch (I don't know if the '72 has the wiper switch on the dash or on the steering column). The wiper switch has a valve in it that is opened when you either push the button (dash-mount switch) or pull the lever (column mount switch). There is then another fluid line that runs from the switch to the nozzles at the base of the windshield and the air pressure pushes the fluid through.

Needless to say if either of those lines are rotten you will get a washer fluid leak inside the car.

If you need to replace the lines make sure to use proper VW washer fluid hose. I think I got mine from bughaus.com - regular vacuum hose doesn't hold up too well to the pressure and the proper hose is really small ID, something like 2.5mm or something so larger stuff likes to pop off the hose barbs and spray fluid around inside the car.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Alright how does the window washer on a 72 square work ( Reply with quote

Or you can do like a few of us here have done, and that's convert the whole system to an electric pump and micro switch to activate the pump.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
COtype3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Alright how does the window washer on a 72 square work (upda Reply with quote

What is needed to do the electric motor fir the wipers?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Alright how does the window washer on a 72 square work (upda Reply with quote

COtype3 wrote:
What is needed to do the electric motor fir the wipers?

I use an electric washer pump for a full size 85 GM van, as it's seperate from the washer fluid tank on that model. I run new hose from the existing tank to the new pump right below it (keeps it primed), then out of the pump to the squirter unit in front of the windshield. I normally get about 10 ft of hose, as I'm replacing everything, and don't want the carpet wet.
Next, I use some small stranded "door bell" wire (2 wires of approximately 18 gauge wire) to attach to the pump (you could use speaker wire in a pinch Wink ), and 1 leg to the fuse box. The other leg goes to a micro switch (I bought mine at radio shack, but you can get them at fryes or other electronics places). The other leg of the micro switch goes to body ground. I put the micro switch in 1 of the many left over from the PO holes drilled in the dash edge, so I can operate it. Some have gone to the extra work of installing it where the öld rubber valve"switch was, keeping it "stock appearing".
I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: