Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I hate Craigslist
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
daisy71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

I currently have something for sale on craigslist (not vw related) and everyone who contacts me must be doing so from the mental institution. First everyone texts. I hate texts, I text people I know if I'm in a situation that I cant call, not when I'm trying to do business. I used to think that the worst texts were the "still for sale" but no, the worst are the people who decide to tell you their whole life story about where they live and what they need what I'm selling for and how they're going to get the money. I don't care dude, and on top of that don't try to contact me if you don't even have the money yet. Someone came yesterday to look at the car I'm selling (a 2008 Charger) and takes a decent look at it and does nothing but compliment it, so I'm thinking great I made a sale. NO this stupid idiot goes and tells me how he first needs to sell his truck and do other things before he can buy it. WELL WHY DID YOU WASTE MY TIME IF YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE THE MONEY FOR IT YET I'M NOT KMART I DON'T OFFER LAY AWAY. And then another guy tells me that he can't do my exact price only $200 less (And I'm already selling it for a very low price, less than 6 cylinders in worse shape and mine has a 5.7 hemi in it) but I say if it makes a deal he can come by and take it for that. That's where I messed up because normally I don't talk prices until they have the cash in front of me. But he seemed serious enough that I changes around plans so this dimwit could come and buy my car. Well here I am typing away on the samba because this guy decided to act serious. Sorry for the long rant, it's just annoying.
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

I agree with you on every aspect except the texting.
I text all of the time.I never call people.
Why?
1. my job doesnt allow personal phone calls during work hours, but I can text.
2. Texting allows the person on the other end to respond at their leisure, or when its convenient for them
3. There's always a written record of what was said, promised,or offered.

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
daisy71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

I totally understand the record part, everyone is in different situations.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

Some of you young kids need to learn that us old folks DO NOT text. If you can't call me then there will not be any communications.

I DO NOT TEXT.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Some of you young kids need to learn that us old folks DO NOT text. If you can't call me then there will not be any communications.

I DO NOT TEXT.

You're losing out on a pretty big audience then. Personally, I don't like to talk on the phone, texting is much easier for me. Plus I too have a job that I can't talk on my phone during the day but I can respond to a text on my breaks and lunches without a problem. I'd never put my phone number on a CL ad anyway so it's not an issue but I don't understand not using something like texting. What could be easier?
My all time most annoying thing about CL is someone who advertises something and won't accept emails or texts. If you're advertising online you should at bare minimum be prepared to have someone email you about it. I've bought an sold a lot of things on CL and I've had pretty good luck. There are always gonna be time wasters but it's hard to bitch about such an awesome service we all use for free.
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

slave1pilot wrote:
Why?
2. Texting allows the person on the other end to respond at their leisure, or when its convenient for them

1) don't do personal shit ON THE CLOCK. problem solved. do it on your break/lunch

2) that's great...until texter decides textee is taking too long to answer and starts getting all huffy yet continues to text....

3) if you need a written record of what was said/promised you have "ownership" issues of your decisions. if you pull the trigger on the deal, you made the decision....that to me is like a kid saying "mom, bobby traded me a baseball card for a stick of gum, but the gum was stale"

holy shit are we on a race to the bottom or what?

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

I DO NOT TEXT.

I'll be 48 in May
My dad was well into his 60's when he passed away
He had arthritis that twisted his fingers and made it painful to text me , but he did.
I still have those texts .

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
daisy71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

texts have their place in the world but as far as answering questions it always seemed easier to call instead of trying to convey a message through multiple texts. dealing with people always seemed easier to me through a phone call, but hey to each their own.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

I can text, but I reserve that option for when it is needed. When I place a CL ad, it clearly states, multiple times in the ad, in bold letters, DO NOT TEXT ME! I have a dumb phone, and I will have a dumb phone as long as possible. Texting folks is a pain in the ass, and it seems that buyers want me to tell them everything that is already in the ad.

Texting has its place, but if you are told explicitly and clearly in the ad text that the seller does not want a text, then don't send a text. Why is that so hard?
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

Does anyone remember buying ads in the paper for $10 per line, per week, and hope someone calls?

Craigslist is free! Sometimes you get what you pay for.

But seriously. For free, CL connects you with a huge number of potential buyers. Some of them are idiots, some of them are low-ballers, but eventually someone shows up with the cash and buys it.

I am an old sales-guy, so I will talk to the customer any way he'd like; call, text, email, smoke signals. But for sure, I don't negotiate until they show up and check out the merchandise, and make a real offer backed up with cash.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:
I don't understand not using something like texting. What could be easier?

Depending on the seller's situation, many things could be easier.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

this is why texts suck with the general public...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

so everything is "chill" and text back at "your convenience" because a text is looked at as "unimportant"

so, I missed this customers text, don't know how but I did. so now this self righteous *u** texts a ????????helllooooo to me? that and add to the fact she was hoping to get an oil change on days that the shop was closed....that is when I fire the customer.

that right there just devalues a business to where a customer thinks/expects that we jump for them, because they are the only person on the planet....not happening

a 2 minute conversation would have got her on the schedule. when she did finally call, she needed 5 other rather time consuming thing addressed....so had I seen the message and said ok, see you Monday at 9 am, she would have been all pissed that I only had 30 minutes to spend with her car...

people take this text shit way to far.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
slave1pilot wrote:
Why?

1) don't do personal shit ON THE CLOCK. problem solved. do it on your break/lunch

2) that's great...until texter decides textee is taking too long to answer and starts getting all huffy yet continues to text....

3) if you need a written record of what was said/promised you have "ownership" issues of your decisions. if you pull the trigger on the deal, you made the decision....that to me is like a kid saying "mom, bobby traded me a baseball card for a stick of gum, but the gum was stale"

1. It's not about on the clock.I work for Hyundai/Kia at a test facility.The Koreans do not like personal phone calls in the workplace.

2.If the other person is that impatient, then you probably are better off not doing business with them. At that point, block their number. Simple

3. It's not so that I can keep track of what I said,it's so I can keep track of what others have said. I have no issues taking ownership of my own word.

I'm not on here to debate and argue with you guys about everything.I was just presenting solid reasoning for an opposing view on texting. We could go back and forth ad infinitum and get nowhere. Both sides can post examples of why their opinion is better, but neither of us will change our minds.
maybe this should go in the "pet peeves" thread.It seems to be pretty lighthearted over there tonight. (That's sarcasm BTW)

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

^^^ Amen.

People drag their 'casual' communication style into 'business' too easily these days. These enabled people have never experienced full responsibility. These same people wear pajamas to the grocery store. They carry toy breed dogs and display tramp stamps. They wear hoodies year round and have wallet chains and/or bedazzled smart phone covers, and none wear pants that fit.

To the OP: like it or not, part of the problem was with the car you were selling. It's a mainstream, youth-oriented car that attracts a limited demographic. Around here anyway, Chargers are only driven by law enforcement and people who wear pajamas to the grocery store; have toy dogs...

Take your car to a local 'park and sell' place and forget about it.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

Ok, so I'm old too, all my Cl ads are pretty simple, just email, if you email me 9 times in 3 hours, I'm still going to get back to you when I do, it may be "Today, tomorrow, the next day, I don't know when" I can live w/ not making a sale if the buyer is in that much of a hurry, deal w/ me @ my pace, or don't.

And, get off my Lawn !! Laughing

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

Any Ad I place on CL says right across the top of the AD " NO TEXTS " repeated a few times. And I block my E mail as well. Calls only ! I think that people who do not post their phone number are the same people who cover their license plates with a rag.
I think that only accepting Calls for an ad will get you the person who wants it and gets rid of the lookie loo's who should be working at their jobs and not goofing off on some one else's dime.
Craigslist is free to list and you get what you pay for.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chaosisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

When I sell stuff on craigslist I make the only contact option email. If you pass the email test, and you dont sound like a psychopath, then you can have my phone number. It probably takes me longer to sell stuff but its worth it in the end that I dont have to deal with a bunch of psychos.

I've had much better luck doing it this way than actually including a phone number. Once I was selling a WW2-era U.S. Navy bullhorn and some guy texted and asked if I still had it and if I was "420 friendly". Told him I'm not trading for weed and he gets all defensive and says he was just asking, he wasnt proposing a trade. Never heard from him again, then a year later he texts again asking if I still had the damn thing.

'68 FI Sunroof Squareback

'70 Westy

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

In your Craigslist add you do need to spell out your contact and such. Do explain firm price and will not respond to low ballers.
I like vwracerdave DO NOT TEXT. I am from the telephone industry Hello.
I talk a text is just to impersonal for me. I like hearing what they are saying in there voice. Speak volumes to me sorta like a voice read on the person.
Text does have its place when ordering a Pizza.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

slave1pilot wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
slave1pilot wrote:
Why?

1. It's not about on the clock.I work for Hyundai/Kia at a test facility.The Koreans do not like personal phone calls in the workplace.

2.If the other person is that impatient, then you probably are better off not doing business with them. At that point, block their number. Simple

3. It's not so that I can keep track of what I said,it's so I can keep track of what others have said. I have no issues taking ownership of my own word.

I'm not on here to debate and argue with you guys about everything.I was just presenting solid reasoning for an opposing view on texting. We could go back and forth ad infinitum and get nowhere. Both sides can post examples of why their opinion is better, but neither of us will change our minds.
maybe this should go in the "pet peeves" thread.It seems to be pretty lighthearted over there tonight. (That's sarcasm BTW)

I agree with skills 100%, it's all about on the clock, if they don't like personal phone calls then what makes you think that they like paying you to check your texts & social media? Unless they specifically allow you to screw off on their dime, you should spend all the time they are paying you for doing something for the company. As for Craigslist, it really pisses me off when their first question is " what's your bottom line?" Or they ask shitloads of questions through text. Then you get the picture collectors, just like texting, if you can't get an idea of what you want in three or four questions, call! I'm not going to crawl under the effin car to take pics of the attachment point of the inner pivot point.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
daisy71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

hitest wrote:

To the OP: like it or not, part of the problem was with the car you were selling. It's a mainstream, youth-oriented car that attracts a limited demographic. Around here anyway, Chargers are only driven by law enforcement and people who wear pajamas to the grocery store; have toy dogs...

Take your car to a local 'park and sell' place and forget about it.

I never really see young pajama wearing people in these new chargers, mainly older guys, but I'll keep my eyes open. Those kind of people around me drive leased mercedes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: