Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

so soon?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandjunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Count your lucky stars to know someone who will do that for beer! He's doing a hell of a job too. I hope to be that good some day. It definitely isn't as easy as he makes it look.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

There was so many clamps, 2x4's, and straps it looked like an old lady in hair curlers.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Spent sunday working on the rear suspension. Started out with 81/2" rear travel. First problem, The top of the trailing arm was hitting a new brace under the C roll bar. A little trimming of the flat plate on the arm got me 3/4" travel up.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then I started on notching the spring plates. Took 1/8" notch to allow it to droop to 17* that type two joints are said to be good for. That got me 1 1/2+ more droop. If I mocked it all up right, it got me 11" travel using the stock stops.

Sandjunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:

Then I started on notching the spring plates. Took 1/8" notch to allow it to droop to 17* that type two joints are said to be good for. That got me 1 1/2+ more droop. If I mocked it all up right, it got me 11" travel using the stock stops.

You got an extra 1.5" of droop out of a 1/8" notch? Nice!
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

The joints were at 15* with no mods yet. I almost didn't go through the trouble for only 2*, glad I did.
Dropped of my motor yesterday, good grief, 10 weeks. I was hoping to be done in July, but now I am hoping to be done by the end of September when my plates are up. The upside is I need lites, brakes, and for it to run under its own power to pass safety. Doesn't have to be shiny to pass. Probably doesn't hurt that my oldest son will be doing the inspection.
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Nice tube work. Are you going to do an engine cage as well?[/u]
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Yes, we will try to something a little more original than what I had. Motor is coming back with 1 1/2 qt sump and I am waiting for the long block from my builder[ 9 more long weeks ] to fab up something that fits. Currently waiting for parts and my card to quit smoking.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

I finally did the part I was dreading the most, capping the frame horns. First I had to move the park brake lever 2" forward because of the seats. Then made new tubes for the cable. I also capped the bottom of the trans mount. Tacked in my harness mounts, double shear from a+a man that Dusty mentioned earlier. They have a LOT of stuff. If you are fabbing something, they probably have what you need. I spent about 70$ on tabs, the budget didn't see that coming.

While waiting for parts I made some templates for the lexan panels I plan on spray bombing.

Speaking of parts, my schrader valve bilstein 7100's, my 10 gal fuel cell and remote filler kit, And 32" 240 watt w/4watt cree bulbs lite bar showed up. The 6' beam kit is scheduled to be delivered on tuesday.

Talked to my chassis guy last nite. Don't think anything will happen up there for at least a couple of weeks minimum. His seasonal business picked up and he is working 7 days a week on top of keeping his own junk[ I mean company fleet] running.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

My front beam kit, er, most of it showed up. I have seen what I believe is the same kit on 2 different sites. Showed up minus the 1 3/4 x 1/2 inch chinese arms. Supplier stated that he will have to have my arms made over here and the kit has been removed from their web site. 3 of the 4 beam bushings slid right in. the fourth however could not be persuaded even with a hammer, block of wood, and lots of lube. Turns out that bushing has a different # cast into it. Will contact supplier about that also. I am not talking trash, it just is what it is. The spindles are out getting king pins and bushings installed. It's not like I have any arms to hang em on for a couple weeks. I did start fitting some tabs, lites, and a plate.

cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

The arms showed up on friday. They look nice to me. The supplier said he was going to have them made on this side of the pond. Anybody recognize them? I have the majority of the big ticket items now, just hope my bulging disc slides back into place soon so I can work on it some more.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Pretty schnazzy stuff for a mostly pavement car!

Cool
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Your front trailing arms look like Tweeds. They are good quality from what I have seen.
The only thing I don't like about them is the lower shock mount. The set I worked with had thread all the way out to the end. I prefer that the load of should be on the shank of the bolt, not on the threads. I fixed for my liking it by drilling in to the threaded part so shank of bolt would fit into the boss so shank of bolt would carry the load instead of the threaded part. I ran a tap threw it to clean up threads afterwards.
Other manufactures of trailing arms such as Fodrills and Woods use a lower shock mount that is open on both ends where you use a bolt and nut to hold shock in place.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Thanks, I didn't think about that. Would 1/2" of shank inside the formerly tapped hole be enough? Would 1/2" of thread length be enough? I will determine bolt length after I order shocks. Guess I should start with measuring how deep my holes are tapped.
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Look at the arms as see where the threads start in the shock boss. If is even with the outside, yes you should drill part way into it for the shank. I 1/4 to 3/8in should be enough for support. A little longer would work better, depending on how deep the boss is. You just don't want to be putting all the load on the threads.
Since you not using a coil over shock there not has much load on it.
Motion Tire Motorsports
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

No more bj's.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

I think I have finally cut and cleaned everything that was intended to be removed.

I clamped the new beam snug in the bottom mounts and set the frame with a slight nose down attitude like it used to have and set the rake @ 5*. The I lifted it up so it had a slight nose up attitude and measured the rake at 7.5*. The po had the old beam set @ 0* when they cut it up to convert it from the original link setup. I am going to rebuild the top mounts so they look like they did when it left beeline many years ago. I also intend to re-brace the front what seems to be the norm, with the x node up towards the front and coming back to the dash bar done up in 1" .120.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Good progress yesterday. I think I see limiting straps in my future. It is currently drooping 1/2" further than the shock when extended with more unsprung weight to come.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Even using it hard offroad you are not likely to require straps. A pair of Fox or similar shocks should handle the extension no issue. Most off road racers do not use straps on the front beam.

You're doing nice work installing the beam. I was worried a little about the 5° angle for a minute.But then you got past that. I would have recommended setting the beam at 7.5° compared to the bottom rails level. 1" x .065 is what my race car has in the front.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

I mmay need to get my shocks to establish droop to set my rack. This is with the rods setting on the frame at 1/2" past. I am feeling a need to take torsion bars out on one side and cycle it to see where the tierods want to be.

jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

I use these for a lower stop for the trailing arms. I made these, McKenzie's off road had them in their catalog. They have been used for many years in off road racing. I made them from boiler tubing. It is very thick. The bolt is a 1/2in fine thread and a 1/2in fine thread set screw is used to keep bolt from moving once it is set. You can see it contacts the inner gusset on the upper trailing arm.
My upper stop is the rubber bump stop that is on the shock shaft.
Woods 2-1/4 longer arms, 10in travel shocks, 12in of wheel travel.

Motion Tire Motorsports
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 17

Jump to: