Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 Baja Build
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
amazingmason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: 1969 Baja Build Reply with quote

Hello guys! It's been a quick minute since I posted anything related to my baja. With school taking over and a recent trip out of the country,all of my projects got delayed. ANYWAYS, I'm back and ready to tackle this once and for all and FINALLY get this car road worthy again.

Related to my last update, I installed some Dual Kadrones, and redid the regulator and generator. But in the process I found out that the electrical was faulty somewhere in the system. I checked grounds, and all positive connections to make sure there was nothing missing and I couldn't figure anything out... the PO's wiring job didn't help. Multicoloured striped spliced to browns and every other colour..SO, I'm currently waiting on a new harness to get here. Should take about a month to get here, and then it'll be go time! Very Happy

So in the mean time, I need a few projects to get the thing prepped and cut down the boredom on the wait time. So, I was thinking a new, smaller steering wheel... preferably a grant or something similar. Don't know how hard the install is, hoping for some guidance on that. I also need to replace the blinker handle because the current one is fried..same thing, I'm a beginner and would love some help on that..Also have to replace the doghouse and generator fan because no matter what I do with the shim kits for the generator fan, I get a nasty rubbing/grinding noise...

Next project would be a disk brake conversion in the front end, but I haven't the best idea for what to go to..current drums in the front are leaking like there's no tomorrow and I replaced literally everything I possibly could..also, discs are just way more safe! Razz
Any insight into what you guys would recommend would be great, otherwise I'm thinking of something like this... http://www.jbugs.com/product/22-2895.html
Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
amazingmason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Build Reply with quote

Okay guys, update on the project! I spent the last few days digging the baja out of its snow fort and now I have enough room to tinker both inside and out. I'll take that as a major victory considering where I live. Very Happy Here's the elusive creature in its somewhat natural habitat.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anyways, I started to clean her up a little bit and I decided to check the engine. This is what I found when I took off the valve cover for valves 1 and 2...

I have no idea what this is. Smelled very strongly of gasoline, but had the consistency of oil, and poured everywhere when I undid the cover.

But, I checked the other side (valves 3 and 4) and it was bone dry! If anyone can help me out with this, it would be great. I understand that not all valves are closed, so I'm just assuming its leakage? The car has been sitting for about a year and change, and it's resting on a slight hill (leaning towards valves 1 and 2). I don't know if that is of any help, but I'm hoping that leakage is all that this is...
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Build Reply with quote

It SHOULD have some oil inside the valve covers. If it ran yesterday, it will have as much oil as on the right side in both. With it sitting for a year, you can expect the uphill side to be dry. Clean up the drips and maybe replace the valve cover gaskets.

If it has no oil in both sides at any one time, you don't have enough oil in it.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
amazingmason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Build Reply with quote

Alright thanks for that info dusty! New gaskets will be installed ASAP. Glad that it is normal and nothing to be worried about.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Build Reply with quote

It is not unusual to have more oil in one valve cover than the other due to the rotation of the engine throwing more oil to one side.

I'm intrigued by your valve spring retainers. The blue ones look funny to me, almost like someone installed a flat washer to retain the spring. What is the casting number of those heads? Those are stock rockers and shafts so I wonder what has been done to those heads in the past...
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Build Reply with quote

When you go to install the new gaskets, clean the cover thoroughly. Scrape any remaining gasket material. Finish cleaning with brake cleaner spray around the gasket area. Then apply the new gasket with 3M super weatherstrip adhesive. Be sure to wipe off the oil inside the rocker box of the head so it doesn't get on the glue. Apply the cover to the head with the glue still soft so it sets up right.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
amazingmason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Build Reply with quote

Bashr, This is what I found stamped on the drivers side head..not sure if it helps or not...

Dusty, new gaskets have been installed! Thanks for the tip with the 3M adhesive.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: