Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I want a Rail, talk me out of it!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Firecat1981
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: I want a Rail, talk me out of it! Reply with quote

I keep toying with the idea of buying a street legal Sandrail of some kind to fix up and have fun with. I live in central Florida and there are no sand dunes here, but there are some backwoods trails that jeep, ATV, and side-by-side guys seem to enjoy. Can a rail go places these guys can within reason?

Most of the rail's life will be spent on the streets cruising around. I may even use it as a daily driver from time to time. I have some mechanical experience, but I've never even sat in a VW before. I usually do my own auto repairs (brakes, oil changes, A/C work, minor motor and tranny stuff.....), and I build my own boats, but I don't know how any of that will translate into the VW world. I thought about a Fiero dune buggy since I am very comfortable working on them, but they just aren't as cool and I don't think they can really take the abuse of offroading. I also don't know how to weld, but I might be buying a MIG soon to try out.

So the basic plan would be to buy an old street legal rail, clean it up, maybe build a glass body for her, add a cheap 2500lbs winch and have some fun. Possibly down the road stretch her out to a 4 seater, or buy a frame and swap over the gear.Someone please tell me this is a bad idea for my area. Talk me out of another project that my wife will kill me for!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: I want a Rail, talk me out of it! Reply with quote

What are you nutz.... You want something that is fun to drive, and go where ATVS and 4-wheelers go, gets attention in parking lots and at ice cream shop, something not many other have, and all the chicks in the world want to ride in....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
DHale_510
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: I want a Rail, talk me out of it! Reply with quote

You have the fun parts right.
I drove my retired desert Wampusskitty on the street for a year and some during Carter's phoney gas crisis. 40+ mpg 40hp motor in place of the 2180 race motor... We even drove it from San Jose to LA for BugIn. Never got so sunburned in my life... It ran best [and fastest] when drafting 18 wheelers, but they objected. Had to run pretty close in you know. The steering brake was very interesting on asphalt!

I can give you the downsides too. Buzzkill. Anyway, the problems;
1. I was as invisible as a motorcycle to trucks and blue-hairs in Buicks. The plastic Manx type buggys seem to have none of this problem.
2. It was the wettest ride ever. You drove right into your own rear tire spray all the time. I had the desert side and nose panels on the car, and a windshield. My motorcycles were drier. The water just hit us in the chest and landed in our laps or on the back of the windshield then on our legs. We were young and laughed it off, but it was really surprising. Small rocks did the same, not so fun without helmets. Again, the plastic Manx type cars are much better for this.
3. It "inspired" crazy Walter Mittys. They went int their own Ricky Bobby mode it seems. It all ended when a guy in a Volvo rammed into me on the freeway and flipped me upside down one morning. Hit and run. I coulda/shoulda just let him slam into my side bars and hammer his doors permanently shut, but instead I braked and he clipped my front wheel and sent me 30' up and over. The side bars are leftover from a couple of years as a Sprint Buggy racer at Ascot [OK, follower], good old days....
4. Cops just loved to pull me over for no fenders. Some really just wanted to talk about the car and the fun, some wrote fix-it tickets even when I showed them the copy of the vehicle code than exempted the lightweight and early car, same rule as for streetrods. They don't have a quota you know, but their raises are based on their "results".

I still have the car, we ran it at Pismo as a sand car for years until they started charging entry money and used that to fence most of it off and hire "ranger" cops to "enforce the new rules. To protect the broken clam shells from some long ago Indian beach orgy apparently. I kept the street plate on it mostly to frustrate the Rangers who started writing tickets on anyone driving up the beach to the gas station or restaurant without a plate, as if there were any other people or reasons to make that trip. Again, no quota, but the results are carefully monitored... I stopped with the plates when we were required to buy insurance to get a plate, even though the car had no street use any longer and the insurance company wanted nothing to do with such a machine.

Enjoy the ride.

Dennis
Sandjunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: I want a Rail, talk me out of it! Reply with quote

If you have any degree of mechanical ability then pretty much everything you need to know about VWs is available online or in print. If you think you want to learn how to weld then make sure you really know how to weld before you try to stretch a chassis from a 2 seater to a 4 seater. I would recommend buying 4 seater if that is what you eventually want or cut your teeth on a 2 seater and then when you are ready then buy a 4 seater chassis and transfer all the parts. You could probably resell the 2 seater chassis if it is in decent condition.

On another note, if you really don't know whether you would like a buggy then buy one that is drive able and reasonably cheap. That way you can tell if it is something you want to put time and money into (that you likely will never get back) before you sink too much into it to get it running properly. This way if it isn't everything you had hoped then you can sell it and hopefully break even.

Learning is half the fun and you will learn a lot so don't worry about what you don't know yet. I'm betting you didn't know how to build boats before you picked up that hobby. Very Happy

Good luck!
Firecat1981
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: I want a Rail, talk me out of it! Reply with quote

Lol you guys aren't making a good case against buying one. How reliable are these aircooled motors? I don't mind wrenching, but I don't want something that will leave me stranded all the time.
2RL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: I want a Rail, talk me out of it! Reply with quote

Firecat1981 wrote:
Lol you guys aren't making a good case against buying one. How reliable are these aircooled motors? I don't mind wrenching, but I don't want something that will leave me stranded all the time.

Their reliability all depends upon your ability to keep up with and understand their maintenance needs. Unlike most modern engines, the old air cooled vw engine is more involved when it comes to routine maintenance, but if you're comfortable with doing what's required their just as reliable as anything else.
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: I want a Rail, talk me out of it! Reply with quote

Yeah, you probably better not. They're not a lot of fun, and little kids won't think you're cool. And hot chicks won't stare at you in traffic. And people will never take pictures of you while you are just driving down the road with a huge grin on your face. Yeah, you should probably just get a puppy. It's cheaper.

Bwahahaahahahahaa Of course you should get one! EVERYONE should get one. Hell, I'm thinking I should get another one!!!!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2JLLuv0YHg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WYPZYpdilM

Yep, street rails SUCK!! Bwahahahahahahaaaaaaa
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: I want a Rail, talk me out of it! Reply with quote

Firecat1981 wrote:

They can be made very reliable. Hang around the HBB Off road forums for a while. Those guys go way out into the desert where a breakdown can be a real killer.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: I want a Rail, talk me out of it! Reply with quote

Yeah...As to the reliability question...

My Baja Bug has only made it to 800,000 miles with more than 1/2 that as a Baja Bug. Always as a daily driver. The original engine went 365K miles. The next engine took it to 725K miles. It's now on its 3rd trans, but I converted it to IRS and had to take out the getting pretty worn 2nd trans.

So is a car with VW mechanicals reliable? I've never driven another car that was as reliable as any of my Bugs.

Talk you out of it?...Go to some rice burner's forum or Mustangs forum to get talked out of a Buggy...

I've only owned my buggy for about 40 years.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Firecat1981
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: I want a Rail, talk me out of it! Reply with quote

Well you guys have done a pretty good job of convincing me to try one out. Just a few more questions. How big are they? I'm 6'3", and 240lbs, will I fit ok in one? Also what's with the roller gas pedal I keep seeing?
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: I want a Rail, talk me out of it! Reply with quote

6'2", 280 here. You might need to drop the seat a bit. Easily done. GET GOOD SUSPENSION SEATS, unless you want a wrecked spine.
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
Firecat1981
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: I want a Rail, talk me out of it! Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up. I'll start looking around. Any thing I should be looking g out for?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: I want a Rail, talk me out of it! Reply with quote

I live in Central Florida and have had a rail.
As long as you have a second car, it is great.
Not fun in rain or on wet roads.
Get some sort of roof for sitting in traffic

Make sure you can get a legal tittle (not one that says VW beetle)
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: I want a Rail, talk me out of it! Reply with quote

Sounds like a great idea to me! If only there was a bare Chenowth 4 seater chassis in the off-road parts classifieds....if only Wink

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: I want a Rail, talk me out of it! Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I live in Central Florida and have had a rail.
As long as you have a second car, it is great.
Not fun in rain or on wet roads.
Get some sort of roof for sitting in traffic

Make sure you can get a legal tittle (not one that says VW beetle)

Hey lady, you left your purse laying on top of your car Very Happy Shocked Very Happy ! Florida and a rail is not fun in the rain? C'mon!! I drove mine from Dayton, Ohio through Pittsburgh, to Philadelphia during a raging thunderstorm that followed me the whole way. I can honestly say it was a HOOT. Get a decent set of wet weather gear and go have some fun!!

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: I want a Rail, talk me out of it! Reply with quote

The throttle pedal is an old VW idea. Some years of Bugs had an arm like you see with a small roller on the end of the arm. Then a flat pedal with a hinge at the floor. The flat pedal had a curved track on its back side that pressed on the roller to make a smooth operation.

This was inspiration for somebody over 40 years ago to ditch the flat pedal and put a bigger roller wheel on the arm. I bought my 1st roller pedal about 1974 when the original flat pedal in my '65 Baja broke at the hinge. I quickly got so that driving a car with a flat pedal felt odd. All of my VWs since then have gotten roller pedals. It works especially well offroad. Not a big concern of yours.

The Chinese ones these days are not as well made as the older American ones, like many things (don't go blaming the Chinese, I learned from working with them on products that they are perfectly capable of making high quality if the customer is willing to pay more for it and checks the quality of the products they receive). So sometimes you have issues like in another thread where he has too much side slop. Washers of the right thickness will fix that issue. I really like roller pedals. You may not. There are many options out there for various throttle pedals.

BTW, that 1st roller pedal I bought got transferred to my '58 Baja and is still in there and still works fine over 425,000 miles later.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
Firecat1981
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: I want a Rail, talk me out of it! Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, the main reason I want it to be street legal is so I can drive it to offroading sites instead of towing. Not many are near by so I'll have a ride to go have fun. Pretty interesting about the pedal. I'm gonna start looking g around for a cheap drivable rail and see what happens.
Firecat1981
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: I want a Rail, talk me out of it! Reply with quote

Hey VW, where in central fl are you about, I'm in the lakeland area. Where do you travel offroad?
Why not titled as a beetle? Is there some legal hang up?
Sandjunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: I want a Rail, talk me out of it! Reply with quote

Firecat1981 wrote:
Don't get me wrong, the main reason I want it to be street legal is so I can drive it to offroading sites instead of towing. Not many are near by so I'll have a ride to go have fun. Pretty interesting about the pedal. I'm gonna start looking g around for a cheap drivable rail and see what happens.

If you have a tow capable vehicle then look into having a T trailer built. If you drive like I do you're going to want a trailer close by, especially if you had to drive an hour to get where you are. It doesn't take a crash. Any mechanical failure can ruin your day. Light trail rides are probably less risky than high speed woods trails though.

For example, I have a friend who lives on the edge of the desert and has easy access to our riding area. I trailered my mini to his house and followed him out, leaving the trailer there. Then this happened and I had to wait an hour and a half for him to go back to get the trailer. Could have been a bad day if I had to wait with a broken arm vs. risking my buggy being stolen while we were gone, which it would have been without a doubt.

Link
Firecat1981
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: I want a Rail, talk me out of it! Reply with quote

I appreciate your view on this, but if I have to deal with another trailer then I won't be buying a rail. The reason I want a street legal rail is so I can quickly jump in it on a wim and go out for an hour or 2. You worry about your broken rail getting stolen, well I'd rather the rail then my new Tacoma getting broken into. Nothing against guys using trailers, I've done it in the past with atv's and dirt bikes, and still have boats, it's just not what I want anymore.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: