Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

75-78 Exhaust System Kit
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: More questions Reply with quote

GmanID wrote:
Wasted thank you for taking the time to respond. In our state we are not required to do the have all the smog gear. On bus depot website they have this unit: http://www.busdepot.com/352000

What do you think?

Also I am not seeing the link to adjust my profile else I would update it.

The Pacesetter is good, I recently installed an NOS (found in a pile at an ACVW shop that was closing) one and I love it. If you can find an old grey one with the thick flanges on it, they are better build quality than the newer ones Bus Depot sells, from what I have seen. Heavier too. ANSA used to make them back in the day. At any rate it is about the best you can find unless you want to spend 3x, 4x as much hunting down all the parts for the stock system, even without the CAT! Crossover pipe and f pipe will set you back almost $500 right there.

Heat shield available at CIP1:
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D039%2D119%2D227
I got one of these too and it fit perfectly. Solid advise as others have said: worth it to strip the paint that comes on these and re-paint with VHT or BBQ paint. Got about 6 months on my whole exhaust system rehab, all painted with VHT, no chips or rusting anywhere. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS EXACTLY.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: More questions Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
I have that same muffler on my 78 too, it works, but I don't like it that much. It pretty much bolted right on, but has rusted even after painting it - there's a portion in the center between the tailpipes which seems to burn the pain off easily. It does work, but I will be getting a better exhaust when I am able.

On the plus side, I figure the 4 chrome tips give me about +10HP each.

Those Quadra-Krome® tips are great!

They are also known as "bumper protectors" ripping the rubber clean off the engine mounts when you back into that curb.

They can also reduce future college expenses by helping to send exhaust into the interior, thus taking out the processing power of your budding little scholars.

Plus, they add a beautiful smoked flavor to the rear bumper paint, engine hatch, and tailgate.
Colin
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: More questions Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:

They are also known as "bumper protectors" ripping the rubber clean off the engine mounts when you back into that curb.

They can also reduce future college expenses by helping to send exhaust into the interior, thus taking out the processing power of your budding little scholars.

Plus, they add a beautiful smoked flavor to the rear bumper paint, engine hatch, and tailgate.
Colin

Plus shin scars give you street cred!

I ditched my 4 tip recently for the Pacesetter. The Pacesetter is okay and certainly an improvement. But, get the thicker gaskets, not the thin ones from Busdepot. I used the thin "German" ones first and had leaks on both sides. I think the factor jig is probably off or something because a lot of people complain about the flanges being tweaked a bit. Mine was for sure. I tried to bend it a little,but these exhausts are pretty beefy. The trick was to very loosely install all the nuts and bolts and slowly tighten them alternating between sides. Use TONS of copper sealant too (follow the instructions!). Oh, and the little hanger for the driver's side barely reached the boss on the case. Make sure to get that lined up first. I had to bend mine quite a bit. It's pretty important for stabilizing your exhaust. Keep in mind that the Pacesetter flanges are pretty thick and may require longer bolts. Get some that are maybe slightly too long and you can use washers to shim them.

This gasket is thicker and has the raised ring. O'Reilly can actually get them.

Don't get these:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Use PLENTY of copper sealant.

It tucks away pretty nicely.

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 75-78 Exhaust System Kit Reply with quote

And when the tips are hot you get the added benefit of being burned while your shins are stabbed..

If you go with the 4 tip get several of the gaskets - on one side I had to use 2 or 3 to get things to seal up - just remembered.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: More questions Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
cmonSTART wrote:
I have that same muffler on my 78 too, it works, but I don't like it that much. It pretty much bolted right on, but has rusted even after painting it - there's a portion in the center between the tailpipes which seems to burn the pain off easily. It does work, but I will be getting a better exhaust when I am able.

On the plus side, I figure the 4 chrome tips give me about +10HP each.

Colin

I had never thought about the positive side of owning one of those. The thought of CO rising up into both vents while I am sitting at a light like now, or the back swirling of gases under the bus being drawn into the fan and up my nose is giving me a headache just thinking about it. I am sleepy now and need to lie downnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: 75-78 Exhaust System Kit Reply with quote

Man that is a sweet exhaust system you put together there Wasted Youth! I'm jealous of that OEM setup for sure. I have a 1978 and unfortunately the OEM system rusted out years ago and everything was replaced with an aftermarket one like the EMPI. I've priced out the parts for an OEM system at over $950 and that still does not include the crossover pipe and heat shield, which appear to be un-obtainable anymore, so I guess I'll be replacing the EMPI types every few years......

I wish EMPI would just make one of those extractor types out of Stainless steel and make it super quiet. I bet they could sell it for $500. I like how they replaced all those pipes with one integrated unit (very simple).
sgraham602
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: More questions Reply with quote

Bala wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:

Colin

Plus shin scars give you street cred!

I ditched my 4 tip recently for the Pacesetter. The Pacesetter is okay and certainly an improvement. But, get the thicker gaskets, not the thin ones from Busdepot. I used the thin "German" ones first and had leaks on both sides. I think the factor jig is probably off or something because a lot of people complain about the flanges being tweaked a bit. Mine was for sure. I tried to bend it a little,but these exhausts are pretty beefy. The trick was to very loosely install all the nuts and bolts and slowly tighten them alternating between sides. Use TONS of copper sealant too (follow the instructions!). Oh, and the little hanger for the driver's side barely reached the boss on the case. Make sure to get that lined up first. I had to bend mine quite a bit. It's pretty important for stabilizing your exhaust. Keep in mind that the Pacesetter flanges are pretty thick and may require longer bolts. Get some that are maybe slightly too long and you can use washers to shim them.

This gasket is thicker and has the raised ring. O'Reilly can actually get them.

Don't get these:

Use PLENTY of copper sealant.

It tucks away pretty nicely.

Where did you get those thicker gaskets? I have the bus depot gaskets. I'm putting the same exhaust system on my 75 this weekend
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: