Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tire size for original vw beetle
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jmspep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Tire size for original vw beetle Reply with quote

Hi, im looking fir a tire size that would look okay on my rail bubby for the front. It has the wide five on it now, currently has tractor tired on them. They are 5.00 - 15 tires. I heard something like a 185/xx/15 But not sure. Any thoughts?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also, here is a picture of my trans. Trying to decifer it.

Aerindel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire size for original vw beetle Reply with quote

165/80r15 was stock.

Not very common these days.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630046
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire size for original vw beetle Reply with quote

You have a swing axle transmission. Look at the sides of it, you'll probably see a 113.xxx.xxx number on it, look below that and you'll find another long number. That will tell you what it has in it.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CHenige
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire size for original vw beetle Reply with quote

I am also trying to replace my 20 year old front tires. They are currently 6.0-15's and dry rotted. 175's and 185's are still available but pretty rare. They are also too wide for a 4" rim but I think it would be OK to use them for a sand rail.

I am actually looking for the tires you are trying to get rid of.
Aerindel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire size for original vw beetle Reply with quote

If your not picky and okay with all season tires they are available pretty cheap online in the right size.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?gclid=CLeu...10044647:s

Aerindel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire size for original vw beetle Reply with quote

If your not picky and okay with all season tires they are available pretty cheap online in the right size.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Tire size for original vw beetle Reply with quote

Don't believe that tire shop malarkey about 175 and 185 tires being too wide for 4" wide rims. Off road racers In classes 10, 12, and 5-Open Bajas use 10.50-35 x 15 tires on 4" wide rims all the time.

235-15s are commonly used on Class 11 style Bugs.

Actually for dirt use in Georgia, I think those 3-ribs are fine.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jmspep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Tire size for original vw beetle Reply with quote

CHenige wrote:
I am also trying to replace my 20 year old front tires. They are currently 6.0-15's and dry rotted. 175's and 185's are still available but pretty rare. They are also too wide for a 4" rim but I think it would be OK to use them for a sand rail.

I am actually looking for the tires you are trying to get rid of.

Tractor supply by me has several of them in stock. They are $125 a piece though.
CHenige
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Tire size for original vw beetle Reply with quote

I have a brother that owns a part time tire shop out in the country. He got in a decent used pair of 195/65R15's that I am going to put on the rear for towing. I have an old set of 15x5 corvette steel wheels (late 50's) with an adapter.

For the front he is looking for a smaller size but they are pretty rare. However he does get in tractor tires so looking for a decent pair. May be a long wait though because farmers do not waste anything and the ones coming in are pretty old.
Jmspep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire size for original vw beetle Reply with quote

Aerindel wrote:

Just Purchased them. $165.. But thats what is keeping it from being on the road right now. They will be here monday ill mount them at work the day after. Thank you. Atleast i can check off tires on the list.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: