Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

High output 1600
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jakeman75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: High output 1600 Reply with quote

Got another question what does everyone recommend on the thermostats because this last motor I built I didn't put one on it and I have wondered if that was part of the reason for poor fuel economy.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: High output 1600 Reply with quote

A thermostat wastes gas before it opens during warm up.
But for the little gas it wastes it brings all the moving parts to same running temp that prolongs the life of the engine Other wise the parts expand at different rates and wear faster.

OK so you did not use a Thermostat but did you use the flaps. Flaps are important for cooling because they are designed for when the engine is at running temp they direct the cool air to the correct locations.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: High output 1600 Reply with quote

how is it wasting gas?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: High output 1600 Reply with quote

Yes the Thermostat is important for good MPG's, especially in the winter. Without a thermostat your looking at 10 or 11 mpg.
By the way I like the idea of going with an engine like Roy said.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: High output 1600 Reply with quote

I agree with the drew how does it waste gas after the engine warming up.

I had a lot of experience with Thermostats and T-4's because the T-4's run extremely cool in light cars when not pushing heavy buses....

If the thermostat is opens to early the engine does not reach running temp and runs like crap and wastes gas. I went for the early T-1 80 c to the later t-1 and T-4 90c and it got to running temp faster by opening later, so the engine get cooling air later.

But after the engine warmed up and got to over 170f oil temp it ran fine and got great gas milage..
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: High output 1600 Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
especially in the winter. Without a thermostat your looking at 10 or 11 mpg.

Dan, I'm doubling your 10-11mpg right now in the middle of winter with no flaps in my engine.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: High output 1600 Reply with quote

Rich your's can do it, Probably no choke on dual carbs. I don't know just my experience with my stock carb set-ups in the 1967 beetle I used to have. The Bus did ok on gas stock but it did crack the heads.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: