Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bloomberg News Article on Ghias
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Bloomberg News Article on Ghias Reply with quote

Bloomberg declares Karmann Ghias the hot new thing:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-10/...lassic-car

Quote:
The Volkswagen Karmann Ghia Is a Great Starter Classic Car
Real Italian design met the guts of Beetle in this under-valued model that's recently been picking up steam.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bloomberg News Article on Ghias Reply with quote

Thanks coad, Guess we will need to UP the insurance coverage.
Im going to whine, I want my wood grain dash board, plush leather armrests and power operated sunroof. Wink

So Karmann and Ghia used high-end materials like hand-shaped English pewter to form the rounded taillights, wood-grain dashboards, and plush leather armrests in the cubicle cockpit. All that plus the long sloped front hood and almost delicate rear end make the little car so recognizable today. By 1962 their models were the first to routinely offer power-operated sunroofs, fog-lights, and electrical clocks
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Bloomberg News Article on Ghias Reply with quote

F*@% where's my real wood facia and electric sunroof...don't tell me I've been fobbed-off with a base model. Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bloomberg News Article on Ghias Reply with quote

Serious question. If demand and prices for Ghias go up, will prices for parts (nos and reproductions) go up as well? In other words, should I start stocking up on parts before I get priced out? Laughing
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Bloomberg News Article on Ghias Reply with quote

J1 wrote:
Serious question. If demand and prices for Ghias go up, will prices for parts (nos and reproductions) go up as well? In other words, should I start stocking up on parts before I get priced out? Laughing

Double edged sword really...higher prices might encourage more, formerly unavailable parts to be reproduced...sadly they won't be cheaper but maybe quality and fit will be better. The cheaper parts available now will always be there whilst there is a market for them.

One thing you can always be sure of...generally aircooled VW people are cheap Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Bloomberg News Article on Ghias Reply with quote

Quote:
If demand and prices for Ghias go up, will prices for parts (nos and reproductions) go up as well?

Take a look at the Type 2/Bus market and in turn their parts. Its been trending up for years. Lots of it fueled by that one big Barrett Jackson $200K sale. The big auctions are seen by a big chunk of "non-VW people" so word spreads. The $200K bus was several years ago...recent BJ auction sales on Type 2's were not so rewarded.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=646855&highlight=barrett+jackson
Here is a REPRODUCTION spare tire bolt... an original, probably double it. Its a bolt. Shocked
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1867940

I think is sort of like the trickle down theory...
356's and bus prices have gone ballistic in the last decade, now it trickles down to the previously less desired so that the more "average Joe's" can own classics.
Ghias have probably doubled in price in the last decade, has your 401K? Wink
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bloomberg News Article on Ghias Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
F*@% where's my real wood facia and electric sunroof...don't tell me I've been fobbed-off with a base model. Evil or Very Mad

I thought it would have been obvious from the basic black colour that your Ghia was a base model.

Wink

The author merely said "Karmann and Ghia used high-end materials like hand-shaped English pewter to form the rounded taillights, wood-grain dashboards, and plush leather armrests in the cubicle cockpit" - "wood-grain" and "real wood" are two different things, and perhaps BITD plastic faux wood-grain was considered a "high-end" material.

As for the optional power-operated sunroof being offered from 1962 on, I assume the author was referring to the Type 34 Ghia which in her mind appears to be the same as a Type 14 Ghia. Smile

The comment about the "hand-shaped English pewter to form the rounded taillights" may also be a reference to the round Type 34 Ghia taillights, but I don't know enough about how the Type 34 Ghia body was made.
Were they put together the same way as the Type 14 Ghias were?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: