Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdollar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

Time for another Colorado summer VW trip!

This little adventure will start in the San Luis Valley, in Penitente Canyon, north of Del Norte. We'll leave from Penitente Saturday morning at 9 and head to Del Norte for a fuel stop. Then we'll hop on FR 330 and head SW into the Rio Grand NF, past Del Norte Peak to the intersection of FR 329. From here we'll head back east on FR 329 towards Fuchs Reservior (for all you Porsche fans), Bennett Peak and the northern end of Blowout Pass, and stop for lunch. Then we'll double back to FR 330 and take it on to Grayback Mountain, where we'll pick up the route we used back on the 2012 S San Juan trip, FR 380. If the group wants we can take another side jaunt up Grayback before we head around Summitville and up to the top of Elwood Pass, in the Schinzel Flats area, where we'll stop and make camp (same as 2012). Sunday we'll leave from Elwood and head down towards Stunner ghost town. Another quickish side trip we could do here would be to take FR 243 east from Lake Annella, which gives you a really cool valley-view of the peaks we'd have been camping at the night before. Ultimately we'll take FR 380 to Stunner where we'll likely take FR 250 east (back in 2012 we went south from here towards Platoro Res. and the Conejos River instead of taking FR 250), which follows the Alamosa River out through the mining town of Jasper, which is at the base of Blowout Pass, and on towards Capulin, back in the San Luis Valley north of Antonito. If you have a Colorado gazetteer you should be able to follow the route pretty well. I can try to post up maps if needed.

All of the roads on this trip, with the possible exception of the side road up Grayback Mtn, are suitable for any stock-height VW bus (or high-clearance baja bug). We'll be out in the heart of monsoon season, so make sure you have good tires. It would probably be a good idea for at least a couple of us to carry tow straps, air compressors, and the like. I'll have both (always do), but it never hurts to have a backup.

Once we leave from Del Norte on Saturday there won't be any opportunities to get fuel, so make sure you fuel up and/or have a spare can.

Just like last year's Muster, this is a dog and family friendly event. Last year was absolutely great, and I'm hoping for the same this year! Start making your plans!
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

Popcorn

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

Heck yea Chris, I'm in!!!

Stu, the southwest is calling you you...
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

Sounds great Chris ! Thanks for taking the time to map this out. Im in....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

Official list:
1. cdollar '57 Westy
2. richparker '68 Tin Top Westy, The Bone Bus
3. Mtnbus '59 DD panel camper, Frankie
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
cdollar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

Yeah!! Thanks for the support gents!

Bubba, I'm still wanting to do that drive between Purgatory and Rico that you keep telling me about... That was actually my first route plan for this trip, but then I thought that might be too far for all the front range folks for what is really a one night trip. Maybe we can plan that as a second trip earlier in July for anyone that is interested? I feel like I've been all over the CO mountains in my bus, but I've never gone up north of Durango. With all the snow we're getting it should be a great summer in the mountains!!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

^Im in for a weekend adventure up North, that drive is super pretty.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

I'm in! Thanks Chris, sounds like a really nice route. Thanks for keeping it family friendly, lets little V-Dubbers enjoy the magic w/o fear of drunken' campfire idiots. Could someone who is social media savvy do a crackbook link, like it or not it has taken over communication for many people. Please ad my name to the list..69 ex-adventure wagon deluxe. I may have the "Wolf" ready by then which will ooze coolnest and street cred to our voyage. I will see about bringing tamales.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

I will do the UFO watch tower night before we meet up (so that the drive does not burn me out the next day) if any one wants to join me. I've been listening to Dr. Stephen Greer, I might be a believer...
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

This sounds awesome!

Placed it on the calendar as a target to get by Bus back on the road and hopefully able to run a trip like this.
1967 Freedom Camper (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

Put me on the list tentatively. Don't count out the Oklahoma guys, we made it last year didn't we...

'76 Deluxe Sage Green Westy
2258 cc GD case 78mm CW crank, 2.0 H-beam rods 5,325” 22mm pin, JE forged pistons with 15cc dish, JE rings, type 11 clearanced oil pump, CB Eagle 2205 Type-2 “Torque Special” hydraulic cam with matched lifters fed by CB Dual Weber 40 IDF MX with 6” foam air filters, currently 55 idle, 130 main, 200 air correction, 32 mm venturis. 27in General Grabber AT2 All Terrains, Berg Shifter, stock '76 exhaust HPC Ceramic Coated. 11/18/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
big bus mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

Hi.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busboy73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

Put me tentatively on the list for now too. Have to make sure the bus is up for another Oklahoma to Colorado trip.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

big bus mike wrote:
Hi.

Hello.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

Official list:
1. cdollar '57 Westy
2. richparker '68 Tin Top Westy, The Bone Bus
3. Mtnbus '59 DD panel camper, Frankie
4. Manfred58sc '69 ex-adventure wagon deluxe.
5. Jmsty76 '76 Westy
5. Busboy73 '73 Westy
6. Doublea_ron '71 Westy
7. Big Bus Mike, put him on so he comes with us Wink
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build

Last edited by richparker on Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
big bus mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Big Bus Mike, put him on so he comes with us Wink

Tryin to make that a reality. Hopefully I can drag some New Mexicans with me on the way through.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

I have it on the calendar. Will see what happens as the time gets closer!! Looking forward to it. Maybe I'll pull some AZ folks.
Tony.
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

I have it on the calendar. Will see what happens as the time gets closer!! Looking forward to it. Maybe I'll pull some AZ folks.
Tony.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

^Smile
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
busboyjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 CO Southern San Juans Trip II, July 29-31 Reply with quote

Count me in! (Hopefully) '78 beige Westy.

And possibly a new guy - uncle yeti in his '77 green Westy.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: