Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Cam Degree Wheel - Needs Modification
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: New Cam Degree Wheel - Needs Modification Reply with quote

Just recieved my 7 1/2" cam degree wheel in the mail today. I like it because it can be used with the tin in place, and I don't need a pointer because the case parting line still shows. The center hole I.D. is 25.5mm. The pulley bolt measures a little under 20mm. What should I do to make this tool functional? Machine an aluminum hub for the center of the wheel? Cut a 25.5mm step into the underside of a pulley bolt? I have to be able to loosen the nut and re-index the wheel after I locate true TDC, so keep that in mind. Thanks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Joe Bence
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: New Cam Degree Wheel - Needs Modification Reply with quote

I would make a washer with a step etc

www.facebook.com/JoeBenceEnterprises
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: New Cam Degree Wheel - Needs Modification Reply with quote

Use a degree pulley. Forget that. They make adjustable pointers to adjust for true TDC.
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: New Cam Degree Wheel - Needs Modification Reply with quote

You could have gotten a paper degree wheel by just printing it out and gluing it to a piece of card board or you pulley.......

http://images.lmgtfy.com/?q=degree+wheel

Any way if you are going to use this wheel, I would suggest you machine a hub (spacer) that fits wheel/crankshaft, and be sure is is indexed proper with wheel locked to hub and the key for indexing hub (on crankshaft) is at the 270 degree mark... You can use strange indexing and home made pointers but then all the accuracy you desire might be lost....

Lot simpler to just get degree pulley...

IF its absolute to find true TDC just use "piston stop" method and note where it is located on degree wheel.......

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: New Cam Degree Wheel - Needs Modification Reply with quote

degree wheel is fine.but if you use the pully you will know if it is right or off.Ive had cranks out about 3 degrees and pullys over 5 degrees so that can be 2 degrees or 8 degrees off ....witch do you want? and most of these vw pullys go on eazy. I have about 4 degree wheels in varrying size and color. I like them if you get them tight and can use them to spin the crank so your fingers dont get caught on something.......(oil pump studs)
Hustlers67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New Cam Degree Wheel - Needs Modification Reply with quote

So how often are the degree pulleys accurate? or, not accurate?

Are there manufacturers to avoid?

Whats the best way to check it? Get an adjustable pointer thingo?

Let me try an answer my last two questions (above), please correct me, but here is what I am thinking:
- Crank is in, cam is in
- Cam gear dots matched to the crank gear dots
- case buttoned up, pistons and barrels on.

Install degree pulley onto the crank (ensuring the notch in the pulley fits over the crank woodruff key). Then you use the piston stop method to find true top dead centre and mark it on the pulley - as against the centre line of the case - or use the adjustable pointer?

Then I can still use the marks on the pulley - taking into consideration whether my True TDC is.

Is that about right? ?

If the adjustable pointer is the way to go - whats a good one in the market right now?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New Cam Degree Wheel - Needs Modification Reply with quote

Only issue I have seen is in two cases here on The Samba is where markings were actually 90 degrees off and that has been over last 10 years or so....

Seems simple enough to use piston block method to validate accuracy and just to know pulley is off by "X" marks and just compensate by adding or subtracting "X" as necessary...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New Cam Degree Wheel - Needs Modification Reply with quote

I'ma try to get the mod knocked-out tomorrow. I purchased a 1 1/2" O.D. aluminum rod. I'll make a hub for it. If I get it done, I'll post what the finished product looks like.
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: New Cam Degree Wheel - Needs Modification Reply with quote

Quote:
IF its absolute to find true TDC just use "piston stop" method and note where it is located on degree wheel.......

As Dale said, I do this on EVERY performance engine. Its the way I was taught. Indicator on piston top, find TDC, note crank position and add/subtract into my cam adv/ret calculations. I use my same old original Santana pulley for assembly and break in. No extra gadgets other than my lifter-pushrod tool for dialing in my cams.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New Cam Degree Wheel - Needs Modification Reply with quote

Got it done. Ordered a longer bolt as well. I made the hub from 1 1/2" aluminum rod.

Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: New Cam Degree Wheel - Needs Modification Reply with quote

I remember when I got my first bug, my grandpa gave me his timing light and the one of the best timing tools for a stock bug:

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: