Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installed Rebuilt alternator Wiring fried
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Installed Rebuilt alternator Wiring fried Reply with quote

How many have installed a Bosch AL75X Remanufactured Alternator and Fried the Wiring due to the B+ terminal being too long and shorting out against the Alternator intake cover?

If you could provide some text and pictures that would be great.

Review thread for more information.
Alternator Type IV (4)

Last edited by Tcash on Tue May 24, 2016 10:36 am; edited 3 times in total
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch AL75X Remanufactured Alternator Fried My Wiring &q Reply with quote

Now that you mention it, I just replaced my AL75X OEM 55 Amp alternator with a AL108X high output unit and modified my OEM wiring harness to use with this alternator. My original alternator wiring had never been tampered with, and I noticed the b+ terminal was almost ready to potentially short against the cover, due to the very close tolerance here. the original harness had a rubber boot covering the b+ terminal (see pic below), but it was starting to crumble and the cover had a worn area right over this spot, probably from years of vibration, heat, and thermal cycling. It's probably a good idea to glue a piece of plastic to the cover to give a little extra protection in this area from shorting

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
nerdhotrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch AL75X Remanufactured Alternator Fried My Wiring &q Reply with quote

This was so frustrating. I protectively installed a new alternator in my bus.... "1 less thing to fail on a long trip"... I got 200 yards from my house and though my bus was going to burn down.

Oh well.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch AL75X Remanufactured Alternator Fried My Wiring &a Reply with quote

installer error. lack of detail....even OEM parts have upgrades/design changes that require thinking. if it was as easy as opening a box and installing the part everyone would do it..

went through this on a 04 (or 05) Volvo. bosch alternator. still charged but had LIN BUS failures. long story short after spending an epic amount of diag time to the LIN BUS I found they had used incorrect internals on the alt.

called the hotline to explain the problem. got they typical "never seen that" from them...pop quiz mother?ucker...you have now, so what about some reimbursement? nope...not gonna happen. treated me like I was some autozone parts swapper Confused

month later, they sent out a TSB on their shitty parts. talking in the Volvo tech circles, 50+ people had the issue. we all got squat from bosch.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch AL75X Remanufactured Alternator Fried My Wiring &a Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
installer error. lack of detail....even OEM parts have upgrades/design changes that require thinking. if it was as easy as opening a box and installing the part everyone would do it..

went through this on a 04 (or 05) Volvo. bosch alternator. still charged but had LIN BUS failures. long story short after spending an epic amount of diag time to the LIN BUS I found they had used incorrect internals on the alt.

called the hotline to explain the problem. got they typical "never seen that" from them...pop quiz motherfucker...you have now, so what about some reimbursement? nope...not gonna happen. treated me like I was some autozone parts swapper Confused

month later, they sent out a TSB on their shitty parts. talking in the Volvo tech circles, 50+ people had the issue. we all got squat from bosch.

Laughing you are gonna get heat from that "installer error" comment......just like I do!

I tend to agree. Yes we all expect to get what we pay for....or at least operable quality.....but it has been so many decades since that has been the norm.....I have a mental system...where I virtually disassemble carefully (where it can be disassembled without voiding the warranty should I need to s3nd it back ...every part like this I can....to look for issues, poor materials and items ai can either correct....or are going to bite me.

Its the way of the world. I dont think we can act otherwise. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jakehenes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch AL75X Remanufactured Alternator Fried My Wiring &q Reply with quote

I'm gonna jump in. I do this stuff all day everyday it's my job. That being said, I blame parts a lot but it really comes down to critical thinking and looking around in the bay for "what could possibly go wrong" this includes thing that broke just because you breathe on it. I chalk the alternator wire problem up to installer error. Bummer though.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch AL75X Remanufactured Alternator Fried My Wiring &a Reply with quote

jakehenes wrote:
I'm gonna jump in. I do this stuff all day everyday it's my job. That being said, I blame parts a lot but it really comes down to critical thinking and looking around in the bay for "what could possibly go wrong" this includes thing that broke just because you breathe on it. I chalk the alternator wire problem up to installer error. Bummer though.

X2...need to know that if you are going to r+r part "a" parts "b" and "c" will grenade the second you touch them

yea ray....installer error. got that a few times. hard to argue with a guy who has a screen capture of a known good waveform vs a crappy one from their part. trying to talk about LIN BUS patterns with a "representative" made me want to just stuff the alternator up my own ass....would have been far less painful that way

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch AL75X Remanufactured Alternator Fried My Wiring &a Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
jakehenes wrote:

X2...need to know that if you are going to r+r part "a" parts "b" and "c" will grenade the second you touch them

yea ray....installer error. got that a few times. hard to argue with a guy who has a screen capture of a known good waveform vs a crappy one from their part. trying to talk about LIN BUS patterns with a "representative" made me want to just stuff the alternator up my own ass....would have been far less painful that way

Laughing ....yes......I have this very issue with hydraulic brake parts. If I find a crappy one.....even with my moderate experience.....I generally know more about how the parts work and should be made than the assholes I get on the factory tech hotlines. It's an endless conversation.

I disassemble every master cylinder, wheel cylinder or caliper I buy and clean with alcohol before using it. Its amazing the crap you find inside new and reman units. Usually if I find anything wrong its an excercise in deciding if I can fix it and should fix it....or just send it back and somehow claim it was the wrong part. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nerdhotrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch AL75X Remanufactured Alternator Fried My Wiring &q Reply with quote

Install error?? Please....

The part it manufactured by a reputable company and sold as a direct replacement. When you "directly" replace you short to ground the entire charging system.... It's a subtle contact that you would never know is happening until it's too late and far from user install error.... This is 100% manufacture error.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch AL75X Remanufactured Alternator Fried My Wiring &q Reply with quote

If you read TheSamba enough you will have seen this as an ongoing problem and "install error" would be appropriate. An inexperienced workman expects quality parts. An experienced workman is suspicious of Empi, Cip1, GEX, brake parts, and alternators. I'm aware of the alternator problem and my '69 camper has a generator. Education and knowledge are what differentiate the individual's assignment of install or manufacturing error. These problems should be corrected by the vendors and not the purchasers. I would assume that in a court of law damages would be awarded and penalties assessed. But, in practicality, we only have TheSamba and the Buyer and Seller Feedback forum.

Aloha
tp
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch AL75X Remanufactured Alternator Fried My Wiring &a Reply with quote

nerdhotrod wrote:
Install error?? Please....

The part it manufactured by a reputable company and sold as a direct replacement. When you "directly" replace you short to ground the entire charging system.... It's a subtle contact that you would never know is happening until it's too late and far from user install error.... This is 100% manufacture error.

It's why good mechanics ask for and receive 115 bucks an hour. you will find good mechanic spend a lot of careful time around battery and alternator connections as opposed to swapping an air filter.
nerdhotrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch AL75X Remanufactured Alternator Fried My Wiring &a Reply with quote

This thread is hilarious.

Its install error "because I didn't read the samba enough"… Its install error because you can't relay on the OEM part vendor to build the part correctly…

I work in the automotive industry…. this is not install error. This is a case of a part supplier screwing up. Lets not try to put this back on installer/mechanic that installed the part.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch AL75X Remanufactured Alternator Fried My Wiring &a Reply with quote

nerdhotrod wrote:

Its install error "because I didn't read the samba enough"… Its install error because you can't relay on the OEM part vendor to build the part correctly…

I work in the automotive industry…. this is not install error. This is a case of a part supplier screwing up. Lets not try to put this back on installer/mechanic that installed the part.

Really?.....just exactly what do you do in the automotive industry....that uou dont know that non-mainstream parts need to be carfully checked?

I do work....in the manufacturing process of parts...for several LARGE OEMs......and I can tell you that even parts for new vehicles have some issues that you need to be knowledgeable of....simply because of the difficulties of the manufacturing process.

In non mainstream parts.....those for cars that are not eityer currently sold or still within their ten years mandated replacement part manufacturing range......parts for limited numbers of vehicles......parts like ours.......are rarely built to
A. Original specs
B. On original highest quality control and best tooling assembly lines
C. And in sub-assemblies like these are usually remanufactured from core assemblies
D. Being remanufactured. ....are subject to entirely new hardware, electrical connectors, coatings and other raw materials.

Its been common knowledge among mechanics...long before the Samba even existed......that remanufactured and secondary mnufactured parts....especially long after the 10 year parts supply mandate.....are extra suspect and need greater care, testing and inspection......even if parts fitting this description. ....are offered by the original manufacturer.

Just because its an original "brand" does not mean its current build and materials are anything like the original.

So what do you do in the auto industry......that you dont know these things?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch AL75X Remanufactured Alternator Fried My Wiring &a Reply with quote

nerdhotrod wrote:

ok, riddle me this then

so, you open up a box of OEM pads for a 04 XC70. hang new OEM rotors on the car. put pads in...boy, they are stiff in the caliper bracket. slam job together road test. your brand new rotors are purple, and vibrate...

WTF?!? I used OEM parts straight from the dealer. "hey dealer, your parts suck"

well, turns out the INSTALLER didn't clean the rust off the caliper bracket pad perches. the rust wouldn't allow the pads to retract.

so, yea, it's an eye for detail. it's up to the installer to make necessary adjustments. if the installer can't figure that out, perhaps the installer shouldn't be installing....

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
nerdhotrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch AL75X Remanufactured Alternator Fried My Wiring &q Reply with quote

The contact point of the stud is very minimal... And once the back cover is on you can't see if where it contacts.... So what youre suggesting is its normal practice to ohm all the connections to ground in the entire changing system when in stalling a new oem part? And please.

This would happen to 100% of the people in this thread that are claiming install error if they didn't read it here first.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch AL75X Remanufactured Alternator Fried My Wiring &a Reply with quote

nerdhotrod wrote:
The contact point of the stud is very minimal... And once the back cover is on you can't see if where it contacts.... So what youre suggesting is its normal practice to ohm all the connections to ground in the entire changing system when in stalling a new oem part? And please.

This would happen to 100% of the people in this thread that are claiming install error if they didn't read it here first.

This dead short...even happens on the original 55 amp alternators....if the back cover was installed very poorly or dented in any way. The epacing is close.

It takes only a second or two to test fot the sheet backing with clay.

The wildcard is well known. Alternators....especially those this close to the exhaust....run very hot. Thermql expansion is all it takes. Its a reman. It has all new snd usually crappy hardware. You need to look for these items.

Unlike an assembly.....say....like a fuel pump....where you just plug it in and bolt it up.....you as the mechanic literally have to connect the wires to this offending over length stud. It is so close ro the lid.....I would be checking clearance.

Let me give you another example......so lets say you are doing an all NOS engin3 build.....and you find an NOS type 4 26mm oil pump in the factory bag with VW/audi decals on it.......uh you know dont you.....that you have to go out of your way to measure the gap between even your OEM riveted cam and the oil pump nuts right? Wink

I can see newbies with 0 experience not knowing that reman parts need extra care....which is one of the reasons Tcash is going out of his way to find out how many have had this problem........but its a REMANUFACTURED alternator.
Even remanned alternators for NEW CARS.....are suspect in every way. Ray
nerdhotrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch AL75X Remanufactured Alternator Fried My Wiring &q Reply with quote

Wow... You guys are right. Install error, I'm done.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch AL75X Remanufactured Alternator Fried My Wiring &a Reply with quote

nerdhotrod wrote:
Wow... You guys are right. Install error, I'm done.

ok... Rolling Eyes

so, lets do it this way....

as pointed out, that cover is close on it's best day.

so, suppose you had the 100% exact part and did your r+r on it, but you dented the cover or distorted it just enough to be a problem. it's still the installers issue...or the engineers for a bad design. but if it worked for decades before it was fooled with it becomes an "ever since" as in ever since you touched it, now there is a problem

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch AL75X Remanufactured Alternator Fried My Wiring &q Reply with quote

This is really common. On every one we installed at our shop when I worked there I would measure it and commonly have to cut it down with a cut-off wheel and redress the threads. Can't be too careful on any part you install on old cars these days.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch AL75X Remanufactured Alternator Fried My Wiring &q Reply with quote

I will say one last thing snd then shut up.... because people either get it or will continue to get their ass burned and cry foul.

There is no denying parts for our,vehicles these days laregley suck in fit snd finish....if not overall quality. You can throw that at the manufacturers. ...and you would be 100% correct......and nothing will come of it. Unless the part is made by a small custom enthusiast manufacturer who owns our types of vehicle and "feels your pain".......out market it too small to get original OEM quality.......at the price loint this industry is willing to afford......so get over it.

As for new parts for new cars.....say an alternator with this same defect.....if there were a rash of failures.....you have the option of complaining....which may actually work because the companies making these are still working to fill vast contracts to the OEMs and want to keep business.......and when you burn your harness on your new GM or whatever.....you can just buy a new one and possibly file a warranty claim (good luck with that)...... its al fixable, replaceble and just money.

On these vehicles. .....you do not have the luxury of not checking parts carefully for defects.....or not having the knowledge or ability or tools to install it right.

It makes no difference if its a part defect......or your fault for not checking it.....or your fault for not installing it correctly. ......because its 100% on you to find the non-existent, no longer manufactured part or parts......that were destroyed when you attached this new or remanned part to your vehicle.

If the whole van burned down......its sti on you and your insurance. No warranty from a part manufacturer is going to find you a new 76 bus.

I am actually surprised that over the years.....when certain parts that are still made for vehicles that are say.....over 20 years old and fit the profile of "hobbyist" vehicles. .....have not had the legal disclaimer slapped on them "for off road use/hobbyist use only" by the manufacturers of the parts. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: