Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First rebuild of 1500 SP.
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: First rebuild of 1500 SP. Reply with quote

I picked up a 64 Beetle back in October and finally got it running decent. Has a stock 1300 in it, or at least that's what its supposed to be. I wanted to build/rebuild and engine, but didn't want to take the car off the road for an extended length of time so I purchased a 1500 single port local off of Craigslist. I'm terrible at documenting stuff like this, but will try.

Here is the engine as it sits:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Its a bit dirty, but turns, none of the fins on the cylinders appear to be broken/missing and the valves don't seem to be frozen. Turns by hand so and I can hear the valves opening and closing. Has oil in it, albeit dirty as all get out. I would say something was possibly done to it at some point because a lot of the tins are a matte/flat finish that doesn't look factory. Also, the manifold has been painted black. It came out of a bus/truck.

My plan originally was to just to get it running, add some things like dual carbs, jtubes, higher flow exhaust, doghouse fan shroud etc, but the more I think about it, I have no idea the condition obviously and I would like to learn how to do it, so going to attempt a rebuild.

I am VERY new at this. Had a bug almost 30 years ago, but it ran like a top the entire time I had it with nothing more than regular maintenance so never had to really dig into it. Gaines some experience with the latest bug acquisition, but still have a LOT to learn.

Going forward, I have the John Muir book which has a section on overhauling the engine. I was also considering getting : http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/rebuild-aircooled-...id=3x23138 as well. Alternately, I may get the Bentley manual for this motor, but would the Wilson one and the Muir suffice? I figured between those two and the interwebs I should be ok.

Tools that I know I still need to get:

Engine stand (possibly with VW yoke)
Torque wrench

Tools that I think I still need to get:

Compression gauge
Bore gauge set
Clutch alignment tool

This is just a list of special tools. I have plenty of screwdrivers, wrenches, persuaders etc.

Current issues that I see:

1. Unknown condition of Generator. Guess there isn't much I can do with this right now besides cleaning it up and possibly replacing the brushes as a precaution?

2. Some side to side play in the carb, and more front to back/up and down play than in the carb currently on the bug. Really a non-issue as I plan on buying duals anyways.

3. Missing some engine tin like the breast plate. Going without heat on this one, so again not a real issue I guess.

4. Fan spins, but not as freely as I think it should. Plan is to go with doghouse so again, not a real issue.

Basic configuration is going to be:

1. Stock P&C's. Need to figure out how to inspect or should I just replace? Was considering going with forged, but may just stick with standard cast. Probably Mahle.
2. Converting to doghouse. Need to gather list of parts for this.
3. JTubes with undetermined exhaust. Leaning towards either a quiet pack or: http://www.jbugs.com/product/3418.html?Category_Code=1966-vw-bug-performance-exhaust
4. Dual carbs, from what I have read up, 34ICT's from Aircooled.net. Will to check fuel pressure and possible get a regulator.
5. Stock 205K distributor. Need to have carbs tapped for vacuum.
6. Staying 6 volt so no change of flywheel?
7. Replace clutch since its out anyways. No idea what kind to go with, but guessing not a lot of options if 6volt?
8. Stock heads. No idea how to check to see if what is on the motor is good or not? I know I can get rebuilt ones for about $200 if I send these in.
9. Replacing seals? I guess I will find out more on this once I start reading more into this.
10. Determine whether the engine has case savers installed. If not, complete tear down so they can be installed.
11. Stock cam? Have read a few threads about the CB Cheater Cam? Worth it in a stockish setup? If I were to keep the stock cam, how do you determine if its still ok?

Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. I know this is long and rambling, but doing this as much as for myself as giving me a place to ask questions. I know a lot of these may be answered elsewhere and in the books, but if someone feels like chiming in anyways I would appreciate it. If I don't see answers, I promise to do my due diligence to find them before posting them up.

Edit* in my searching for some general rebuild threads, I came across this one: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=451260 . Holy crap, how well documented, but also the amount of work this guy did for a full rebuild. Not going to lie, I am beginning to wonder if I have bitten off more than I can chew. This may get interesting.

Thanks in advance for any help.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: First rebuild of 1500 SP. Reply with quote

The Fisher book is highly recommended. Also get a Bentley manual.
Don't be afraid to dig into an engine rebuild. These are pretty simple and fun to work on.
I built a 1776 back in 1998 and found it to be a bit challenging at first. With the proper books I was able to complete my rebuild. It ran pretty well. I did the dual ITC setup with dual port heads.
I currently have a 1500/1600 single port engine in one of my cars. I have been contemplating a tear down and refresh.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: First rebuild of 1500 SP. Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
The Fisher book is highly recommended. Also get a Bentley manual.
Don't be afraid to dig into an engine rebuild. These are pretty simple and fun to work on.
I built a 1776 back in 1998 and found it to be a bit challenging at first. With the proper books I was able to complete my rebuild. It ran pretty well. I did the dual ITC setup with dual port heads.
I currently have a 1500/1600 single port engine in one of my cars. I have been contemplating a tear down and refresh.
Good Luck.

Thanks. What is concerning me a little is reading through a couple of build threads is where people are having things milled etc. I really need to read up a bit more as I was truly hoping to just be able to pull it apart, replace or rebuild items. I need to figure out what items I may be looking at besides possible case savers that I may need machining work done on?
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: First rebuild of 1500 SP. Reply with quote

Do take your time. Read several books, watch videos, if unsure have a shop that does air cooled work assist with some of the assembly.
A stock sixteen hundred single port will last a long time.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: First rebuild of 1500 SP. Reply with quote

Are there any "must have" work/items that may seem optional? I.E. case savers. My plan is to ultimately replace the 1300 that's in it now with this motor so I do want it to last.
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: First rebuild of 1500 SP. Reply with quote

I highly recommend Tom Wilson's book: "How to Rebuild Your Aircooled VW Engine". He clearly explains everything about engine removal, rebuild and installation, while also pointing out common problems and mistakes. It's loaded with photos.

You can still find this book in almost every bookstore and online.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: First rebuild of 1500 SP. Reply with quote

neil68 wrote:
I highly recommend Tom Wilson's book: "How to Rebuild Your Aircooled VW Engine". He clearly explains everything about engine removal, rebuild and installation, while also pointing out common problems and mistakes. It's loaded with photos.

You can still find this book in almost every bookstore and online.

Thank you. Its the one I reference above so I will order it now. I appreciate your input.
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: First rebuild of 1500 SP. Reply with quote

To this day, I still like to use the Wilson book every time I work on my engines, whether it's my stock 1500 cc or my 2332 cc rebuild or freshening up. One can sometimes get in a hurry and forget a step or sequence, so having the book on the work bench reminds me to check everything twice. It prevents having to back track Wink

Good luck with your engine and let us know how it goes!

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Tortjam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: First rebuild of 1500 SP. Reply with quote

Get the Wilson book and the Bug Me video(Tear Down and Assembly). I was in your shoes a year ago and just fired up my freshly rebuilt motor( SP 1500 converted to a DP 1600 w/ doghouse cooler). The book and video will get you most of what you need to know. The Samba and YouTube will take care of the rest. VW specific tools make it easier-gland nut removal tool, oil pump puller, case splitter, lifter clips, flywheel lock, end play gauge, engine yoke. Find a reputable machine shop(one that specializes in VWs) after you disassemble and clean the case. They will inspect and align bore the case, install case savers, polish the crank, size the bearings, recondition heads, etc Keep it simple and take your time. You will learn a ton and have a greater appreciation for AC VWs. Cool
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: First rebuild of 1500 SP. Reply with quote

Just looked at your photos, What a nice little car. I think you did the right thing getting another engine so your not down long.

That Single port engine is a good engine for small displacement but not a good choice for building up into a larger displacement engine. You could probably go to 1679 cc though using the T1K 88mm Piston & Cylinders. I can't tell what your engine serial number is from the photos. I think those were F or H cases with single oil relief valves. Not the best case. Better to get a later model dual oil pressure relief case to use. But Yeah you can use the single relief cases but they can have oil pressure issues. You can kind of fix this problem with the right filter oil pump. Also the single ports run hot in the earlier cars, You could upgrade to the Dog house Fan, Shroud, and cooler flaps hook-ups etc... and make it run cool though.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: First rebuild of 1500 SP. Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Just looked at your photos, What a nice little car. I think you did the right thing getting another engine so your not down long.

That Single port engine is a good engine for small displacement but not a good choice for building up into a larger displacement engine. You could probably go to 1679 cc though using the T1K 88mm Piston & Cylinders. I can't tell what your engine serial number is from the photos. I think those were F or H cases with single oil relief valves. Not the best case. Better to get a later model dual oil pressure relief case to use. But Yeah you can use the single relief cases but they can have oil pressure issues. You can kind of fix this problem with the right filter oil pump. Also the single ports run hot in the earlier cars, You could upgrade to the Dog house Fan, Shroud, and cooler flaps hook-ups etc... and make it run cool though.

It is an H case. Sorry for the unclear pics. IIRC the numbers started at H555... Which put it in Nov 66'. My choice of engines was two three fold. It was local, fairly cheap, and keeping it SP will keep it reasonable as I won't be tempted to let the project get out of hand. I know me, and one thing tends to lead to another and the next thing I know I have a $6k fire breathing monster that will require major upgrades to the rest of the car. Keeping it SP, but clean and tidy, will suffice and allow me the experience to maybe tackle a bigger job next time.

Thank you Tortjam for the list of tools that I might need. I'll start researching those now while I'm waiting for the Wilson book to arrive.
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: First rebuild of 1500 SP. Reply with quote

Before you tear it apart check the end play and remove the front pulley. Gently put a screwdriver between the case and the crankshaft at the front pulley and check for up and down movement in the crank shaft. It will help determine if it really needs rebuilt.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: First rebuild of 1500 SP. Reply with quote

pwmcguire wrote:
Before you tear it apart check the end play and remove the front pulley. Gently put a screwdriver between the case and the crankshaft at the front pulley and check for up and down movement in the crank shaft. It will help determine if it really needs rebuilt.

Hmm. Need to read more on this.
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: First rebuild of 1500 SP. Reply with quote

Before you tear it all apart, remove the rocker arms and torque each head stud to spec. H cases are known for pulling head studs. You are checking for head studs that might pull out. Better to have one pull before the rebuild than after the engine is built. TRUST ME on this one. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Those two little 8mm studs on either side of the cam at the rear...yeah check those too. Rolling Eyes
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: First rebuild of 1500 SP. Reply with quote

MURZI wrote:
Before you tear it all apart, remove the rocker arms and torque each head stud to spec. H cases are known for pulling head studs. You are checking for head studs that might pull out. Better to have one pull before the rebuild than after the engine is built. TRUST ME on this one. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Those two little 8mm studs on either side of the cam at the rear...yeah check those too. Rolling Eyes

And H cases did not have case savers correct? Also I have read about this and seen where it says I have to totally disassemble the engine? Does this mean completely tearing it down and splitting the case and removing everything? Starting to sound a bit intimidating.
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: First rebuild of 1500 SP. Reply with quote

recheck your numbers, H5 would be august 67 and later, if it's nov '66 that would make it an H0, then you are a lot better off, H5 cases are the ones to avoid IMHO
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: First rebuild of 1500 SP. Reply with quote

Slow 1200 wrote:
recheck your numbers, H5 would be august 67 and later, if it's nov '66 that would make it an H0, then you are a lot better off, H5 cases are the ones to avoid IMHO

I misread the chart, it is an H5xx. Did some quick reading and looks like it was designated as a smog engine with lower compression? How would they attain that? More research.

*Edit. From what I am reading, they used dished pistons to lower the compression? I am assuming that using non-dished would raise compression? Do they even make the dished pistons anymore?

Last edited by Sharp64 on Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: First rebuild of 1500 SP. Reply with quote

Did some light removal last night to inspect a couple of things like the fuel pump, distributor etc to get and idea of what I was working with.

Dizzy is a 205T, which makes sense for the year and motor. Carb is a later 30PICT-1 with the power jet, and a Pierside fuel filter. Need to get some pics up, but I was simply amazed at how clean the inside of the fuel filter was. I mean you could eat off this thing. Very shiny with no residue.

Did notice the push tubes are pretty rusty and at least one is banged up a bit and they are all rusty so I'll be adding a set of these to my list of parts. Seems to be several different varieties so need to do some more reading as to what is suggested.

Made a call to a local machine shop about getting an estimate for getting thread savers installed. Was redirected to what I was told was "the last guy in the area even doing this". Called machine shop number two and the gentleman that I spoke to seemed very knowledgeable and questioned my need to install thread savers. Said he used to do a ton of VW work back in the day, but hadn't seen a lot over the past decade or so as interest in VWs had waned. Anyways, he said that unless the head studs were stripped and I wasn't going with anything bigger than an 85.5, there was no real reason to install the case savers? As per most people, he was more than willing to take my money if I insisted...... Thoughts?

Few pics for record:

thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: First rebuild of 1500 SP. Reply with quote

There is no need to get your machinist to install case savers.
Just get some 8mm studs, and some case savers that will thread into the 10mm holes, and it's done. I would also recommend some upgrade parts while you are building.
I'd do some 87mm pistons and jugs, and a little hotter cam, just to get a little more "go" out of the thing. Small improvements quickly add up to a noticeably stronger engine, and in many cases will even improve fuel economy because it doesn't have to work as hard as it did when stock.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: First rebuild of 1500 SP. Reply with quote

thechief86 wrote:
There is no need to get your machinist to install case savers.
Just get some 8mm studs, and some case savers that will thread into the 10mm holes, and it's done. I would also recommend some upgrade parts while you are building.
I'd do some 87mm pistons and jugs, and a little hotter cam, just to get a little more "go" out of the thing. Small improvements quickly add up to a noticeably stronger engine, and in many cases will even improve fuel economy because it doesn't have to work as hard as it did when stock.

I did some reading on this and found several threads where it states that the threading is different for the case savers so they will not just bolt up.

Ive also read numerous times that going to 1641 reduces the cylinder walls and the engine will not last as long? As it is, I will be going to most likely 85.5 to push it to 1600 vs stock 1500. I think with duals and a decent exhaust that will plenty for my weekend grocery getter. Maybe once I decide to install disc brakes, I'll look at making it faster. Right now, I would rather make it bulletproof and reliable. I could care less about fuel economy considering I think Ive only put $50 worth of gas in it since I bought it in October.

On another note, while trying to degunk this thing I noticed something... I doubt I am going to be this lucky, but does it look like this may already have case savers installed?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: