Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gerson rocker plates
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Gerson rocker plates Reply with quote

Anyone have problems tightening the pan bolts? I can't get them to not strip. I can only hand tighten them. They strip with 10lbs of torque. Supposed to be torqued to 14.
These are crappier than any chines nut I've ever torqued.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Gerson rocker plates Reply with quote

jason wrote:
Anyone have problems tightening the pan bolts? I can't get them to not strip. I can only hand tighten them. They strip with 10lbs of torque. Supposed to be torqued to 14.
These are crappier(Not the way I would describe anything Gearson manufacturers) than any chines nut I've ever torqued.

Are your referring to the funky green panel maker? If you are. I have never read anything about quality issues with their products. If you are disappointed maybe you should try your luck again with the (Chines?) Chinese panels that you are happy with in the past.
Try to contact them (Gearson) and see if it is something that may have slipped past their QC. Or if you are doing something incorrectly. There is no shame in admitting that you may have made an error.
Did you run a tap through the threaded captive nut before you attempted to do your final install?
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Gerson rocker plates Reply with quote

They are not cross threaded, they screw all the way in by hand. Tap them no, that would make them strip easier. It removes metal. I ran a thread chaser to get the paint out but not a tap. I wish I was doing something wrong. Not complaining about the panels, just the nuts. And by the way the nuts aren't in the same spot as stock. I know nothing is perfect so I let it go, nuts stripping less than 10 lbs I can't. I'm not knocking their product as I would take theirs over others, just saying. I made sure to check that they had good spot welds so they won't break loose later and noticed the nuts looked thin but didn't think much about it, they are like these.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Gerson rocker plates Reply with quote

Ok! So which captive nut is giving you problems? Top? Left? Right?
or none of the above.
In your initial post you stated that the captive nut that was stripping was in a rocker panel. Or are you referring to the captive nut in the bottom of the heater channel?
Rocker panel nuts are for mounting running boards(I'm sure you know that) not the body to the pan.
I still say contact Classic Fab and find out what the situation is.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Gerson rocker plates Reply with quote

I'm inclined to think that you have the wrong bolts for the nuts. How loose do the threads feel when the bolts are inserted but not tightened? Do the captive threads look bad? I have bought bolts that were marked SAE and were actually metric. Laughing
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Gerson rocker plates Reply with quote

Rocker plates, on the bottom. They look like the nuts on right. They are Kamax, so they are correct thread and pitch. They are just crappy nuts. Two of them popped loose and started spinning before 10lbs. Gerson wont respond. Not like I'm gonna cut the reinforcement rails and then the nuts back out. I'll have to drill them all and weld in some type of shouldered nuts.

Should of bought the $30 ones everyone sells, welded in better nuts and saved the $240 difference.I wanted the correct shaped ones but you will never see them anyway, under rails.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Gerson rocker plates Reply with quote

I think you have two separate issues. I have bought specialty fasteners before and now I 'test torque' them down in a gig so they can't twist off and I don't feel like killing someone when I try to do the best job and end up screwing myself. Very Happy I don't' think you ruled out improper pitch/size but that is your business.

I have a hack where I use washer faced nuts and first drill a hole that is a little smaller than the washer. Then I camfer it out with a larger bit so the bolt/washer fit is practically flush. Finish it by welding it in.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Gerson rocker plates Reply with quote

How would I rule out the proper pitch size? They are original bolts, pitch and thread are correct. The bottom plates take the proper thread and pitch chase. What else would I check? They are just cheap nuts. Gerson also won't respond to my email. He got his money so what does he care. Nothing he can really do anyway. I will have to drill and weld in nuts.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: