Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Remember when?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

We were talking about something like this today. We used to have rattlesnake round ups every spring and summer around here but these have either gone away or gone underground because of pressure from outsiders. They have not managed to shut down the noodling tournament but are working on that too. For you city boys noodling is catching catfish with your bare hands.
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
vdubyah73 wrote:
olspeed wrote:
vdubyah73 wrote:
olspeed wrote:
enjoyther1de wrote:
Remember when a beer at the stadium wasn't 13 dollars?

Remember "happy hour" or bars that closed at 5:00am and then re-opened at 6:00am

I remember "Dancing in the streets of Hyannis" …Literally. Cool

Bill

The Moose dropping festival in Talkeetna! Peta killed that one

What, were they dropping meese from helicopters, or celebrating poop? If dropping meese from helicopters I can understand, but how do you define poop cruelty?

bill

Maybe PETA killed the moose. People Eating Tasty Animals.

Brisket is my Spirit Animal

I remember when there was a time that no one would believe a meme so obvious as to say,
"All things being equal"

Who in the hell came up with that inane dribble.

George Orwell is laughing at that.
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
cbeck wrote:
Better find a new word to call your clutch slave cylinder. While you are at it you might as well find a new word for your master cylinder.

About 20 years ago, a buddy of mine that is an electrician told me that they had to rename the "master" & "slave" breaker panels "main" or "primary" & "secondary" because of a union employee complaint.

Watch out plumbers, your next. No more male or female fittings and nipples are history for sure.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Fish wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
cbeck wrote:
Better find a new word to call your clutch slave cylinder. While you are at it you might as well find a new word for your master cylinder.

About 20 years ago, a buddy of mine that is an electrician told me that they had to rename the "master" & "slave" breaker panels "main" or "primary" & "secondary" because of a union employee complaint.

Watch out plumbers, your next. No more male or female fittings and nipples are history for sure.

No more sill cocks either, huh?
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
One of my favorite non-insults incorrectly taken as an ethnic slight is the phrase "get off scot-free." Many have taken this as an insult to the Scottish, fueled by the old stereotype of them being cheap. However, "scot" is a Middle English term for "tax" and so it merely means getting off tax-free. Has nothing to do with Scotland!

OTOH, the term "Paddy Wagon" is common parlance for "Prisoner Transport Vehicle" and nobody seems to mind. Of course, in many cities the Paddys were driving the wagon as well as being the passengers. "Taking the best of the worst jobs" was an Irish tradition.

KTPhil wrote:
Another long lost job... paperboy. I used to have a paper route on my bike every day, but now it's been taken over by corporate and their (under)paid adult drivers.

Yes, I had that one as well. I was one of the last paperboys for our local paper. They fired the lot of us and hired a guy in a car to do the delivering. So much for having the paper right on the doormat every day! With a couple of my customers I even opened the door and handed the paper directly to the customer so they wouldn't have to get out of their easy chairs!

olspeed wrote:
Remember "happy hour" or bars that closed at 5:00am and then re-opened at 6:00am

I grew up in Nevada. The bars never closed. For that matter, neither did the supermarkets. It was very jarring when I went to college and found that I couldn't do my grocery shopping at 2:00AM!

Spezialist wrote:
I remember when Wannabe Mechanics had to actually get dirty n shit before they got any respect or "experience"

Yeah. I'm on a couple of other auto forums and their concept of "modding" cars pretty much ends with floor mats, carbon fiber gas door trim, and, for the very technical minded, fart-can exhausts.

iowegian wrote:
Fish wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
cbeck wrote:
Better find a new word to call your clutch slave cylinder....

About 20 years ago, a buddy of mine that is an electrician told me that they had to rename the "master" & "slave" breaker panels "main" or "primary" & "secondary"...

And electricians won't ask their assistants to hand them a pair of dykes!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

GeorgeL wrote:

A buddy of mine told me that the military banned calling them dykes ten years ago. I asked him what did they call them, he said "side cutters", I laughed at the thought of them calling all the lesbians "side cutters".

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

GeorgeL wrote:

iowegian wrote:
Fish wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
cbeck wrote:

About 20 years ago, a buddy of mine that is an electrician told me that they had to rename the "master" & "slave" breaker panels "main" or "primary" & "secondary"...

I guess with this line of thinking the term tongue and groove will be taboo eventually..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
GeorgeL wrote:

iowegian wrote:
Fish wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
cbeck wrote:

I guess with this line of thinking the term tongue and groove will be taboo eventually..

What about ball and cocks or sex bolts?

German Folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
GeorgeL wrote:

iowegian wrote:
Fish wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
cbeck wrote:

There is an un-PC joke that says something about a house built by lesbians with no studs and all tongue and groove.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Blue laws? Not a big deal if ever growing up in SoCal until I traveled out of state and learned to stock up Saturday night if you know what I mean.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

^ That can be county to county here.... Pray
Rolling Eyes
I think its so people dont bump into and see each other at the liquor store after church... Laughing Im sure it would get very crowed..

We still have dry counties and "times" on Sunday ..

How about the "light districts" ? I hardly ever hear that term used anymore..

We had an area that was called ... Think ... IS called "Greasy Corner"..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
Blue laws? Not a big deal if ever growing up in SoCal until I traveled out of state and learned to stock up Saturday night if you know what I mean.

You know, an occasional dry day might not be a bad thing.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Jon Schmid wrote:

You know, an occasional dry day might not be a bad thing.

I make it a point to have a dry day regularly, sometimes a dry week or two.
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

I found it a bit shocking to go from Nevada, where they sell liquor just about everywhere, to places with state liquor stores open 9-5 on weekdays where you have to specify your libation by number.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Remember when mailmen had to wear a uniform? There are postal workers that wear shorts & T-shirts & they're driving USPS vehicles, not their own vehicles like the subcontractors.

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

it's getting harder and harder to remember when I could remember where it is.....
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Remember when mailmen had to wear a uniform?...

Remember when gas station attendants had to wear a uniform?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For that matter, remember when gas stations had attendants?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

GeorgeL wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
Remember when mailmen had to wear a uniform?...

Remember when gas station attendants had to wear a uniform?

They still do...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

^^^ I'll bet his mom is proud of him.
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Remember when mailmen had to wear a uniform? There are postal workers that wear shorts & T-shirts & they're driving USPS vehicles, not their own vehicles like the subcontractors.

Mailmen? That's no longer PC. it's mail, or postal carrier now. A friend explained that regular USPS carriers are still required to wear the uniform and drive a USPS vehicle. "Irregulars" (USPS employees who don't usually deliver mail) may not be in uniform, but must drive a USPS vehicle. That's why your mail is usually delivered later when a substitute is delivering.
Contractors don't have to do either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Jump to:
Page 28 of 43

Jump to: