Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Remember when?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Remember when grocery stores & convenient stores had ads on the windows displaying the products they had or were on sale, now they are more concerned about displaying the fact that they have the lotto or accept WIC, SNAPS, or EBT.

Don't forget Busch lite or whatever other pisswater is in the cooler.
JimSP16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Yea, Every things Changed.
I was listening to "The CREAM" and standing in front of the HEAD SHOP on the corner of PCH and Main street In Huntington Beach Ca. Knowing 8th Grade would soon be starting when I noticed A V-Dub drive by, I FELL IN LOVE Now I Drive A 67 daily Driver
...I think I also smelled Incense for my first time that day ( might have been July 1967)
JIM
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Remember when grocery stores & convenient stores had ads on the windows displaying the products they had or were on sale, now they are more concerned about displaying the fact that they have the lotto or accept WIC, SNAPS, or EBT.

The convenience store near my house has a big sign that now they carry craft beers.
I noticed that.
It's also a deli so they have a lot of deli "ads" in the window for the various meats and sandwiches.
It says Lotto but I would do that too, that seems to be a big draw everywhere.

I haven't noticed the other EBT, etc. signs but I'm sure they are there, they are usually small notices in the window around here.
I checked the street view and don't see anything like that in huge letters.

I agree with you on the grocery stores, I think mine just says they have a Starbucks now but no big Specials signs.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

If the store has a Starbucks & carries craft beers, I doubt that it has a large EBT contingency.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The WIC one is not as prominent, just to the right of the newspaper machine, however, they still post their specials.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

I was about to say I see a ton of specials signs there. Smile

I don't see an issue with an EBT sign being prominent, I guess they want their business.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

EBT????? Confused everybodys beer time??
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Remember when almost every town had a hardware store where you could find just about anything? It might be expensive, but they had it!

These days, if it doesn't fly off the shelves of Home Depot and Lowe's, it isn't available at all.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

GeorgeL wrote:
Remember when almost every town had a hardware store where you could find just about anything? It might be expensive, but they had it!

These days, if it doesn't fly off the shelves of Home Depot and Lowe's, it isn't available at all.

We have three great small hardware stores in town, and I choose any of them over the Home Depot that is here, too. Home Depot sucks.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Went into Menards the other day. Couldn't find the Cotter pins asked the closest associate" looong pause" I said you have no idea what I'm asking for do you he said sorry no. Nice lady associate stepped up and showed me quickly where they were.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

GeorgeL wrote:

I'm pretty happy with the local Ace Hardware.
Even though it's more money than Home Depot or Lowe's, they usually have stuff that isn't at the larger box stores and the people who work there seem to know their stuff - it's mostly older guys that are probably retirement age
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Went into Menards the other day. Couldn't find the Cotter pins asked the closest associate" looong pause" I said you have no idea what I'm asking for do you he said sorry no. Nice lady associate stepped up and showed me quickly where they were.

Menards put our local Ace out of business. So now, in a town of 25,000 souls, all we have is that big box store and a "farm supply" store that has mostly clothing and little in the way of actual hardware. Crying or Very sad
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
GeorgeL wrote:

I'm pretty happy with the local Ace Hardware.
Even though it's more money than Home Depot or Lowe's, they usually have stuff that isn't at the larger box stores and the people who work there seem to know their stuff - it's mostly older guys that are probably retirement age

It's opposite here, while I try to support the smaller or independent stores, our Ace stores are not as well stocked. Just this weekend I went to Ace to source some shower valve stems & they didn't have anything but replacement parts for modern units. HD had the stems for my 45 year old faucets.

fabricator john
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

ive moved to south west florida, spent 48 yrs in the same town , other than close friends , the number one thing i miss is ,, J.E. RICE hardware in manassas va. now operates under the true value hdwr banner , but the store originally opened in 1934 ,,,, 1934!!!!!!!!!! its is staffed with 3rd generation hardware men and women that know their stuff , bolt bins as far as the eye can see ,, i actually laughed one day when i spotted 3 drawers labled gun screws, ha who has that !!! highly organized has everything and they know their stuff...(find a hdwr store that has #12 screws and you've struck gold).. when i told em i was moving to fla.. forever they gave me handshakes ,hugs and a half doz t shirts to take with me and wished me luck and love . i still searching for the oldest hdwr store in the area here (venice fl.) man i miss those guys ......
Fabricator John
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Interesting. Our local Ace just brought in gun screws because, as the guy who runs that section said "I have been gettin' requests for them and nobody else has anything like it around here".
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

We have a store dedicated just to fasteners. Nuts, bolts, studs, screws, concrete anchors, & just about any other fastening apparatus you can think of. However, they didn't have much in the way of 7mm bolts & nuts.

iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
We have a store dedicated just to fasteners. Nuts, bolts, studs, screws, concrete anchors, & just about any other fastening apparatus you can think of. However, they didn't have much in the way of 7mm bolts & nuts.

So Fastenal doesn't actually fasten all? Confused
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

We're lucky over here with a place called Tacoma Screw. They ordered sticks of 10mm aluminum tubing for me (jailbars) and have most any metric fastener a guy needs. Just saying the name gives me pleasure.

The mom and pop hardware store (Kuna Hardware) in a little bedroom community 15 miles from me has everything straight out of the early 80s- in original time capsule packaging if you look hard enough. Remember REAL stainless hose clamps?

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
iowegian wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

We're lucky over here with a place called Tacoma Screw. They ordered sticks of 10mm aluminum tubing for me (jailbars) and have most any metric fastener a guy needs. Just saying the name gives me pleasure.

The mom and pop hardware store (Kuna Hardware) in a little bedroom community 15 miles from me has everything straight out of the early 80s- in original time capsule packaging if you look hard enough. Remember REAL stainless hose clamps?

There is a place on Spokane's south hill called Miller's hardware. I love it. It is packed with stuff, the folks know the answer to every hardware question, and they are always friendly. It has been there for decades, and is now surrounded by heavy traffic and fancy businesses in strip malls. It just keep staying the same. Fantastic.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember when? Reply with quote

Our local ACE had 73 VW key blanks in stock and could make keys. Old leftover key blanks from the 70's.

Towns used to have a bypass so one could cruise at 55 around the town without the speed zones and stop lights. Now wallmart, home depot and a handful of fast food joints set up shop along these bypasses, making them not really a bypass anymore. Every town center had a couple of restaurants, a hardware store, a drug store and a fashion store with last decades fashions prominently displayed in the window. Town square is now boarded up, maybe a couple of government offices is all that's there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
Jump to:
Page 41 of 43

Jump to: