Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone know what these are for on a Type 4?
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Anyone know what these are for on a Type 4? Reply with quote

I recently discovered these little plastic parts in a pile of NOS VW goodies, and asked around locally as to what VWs they fit and what the applications for these plastic parts were for. They are about 15mm long, the inner diameter of the hole is approximately 6-7mm, and the outer diameter at the widest part of the "fins" is about 12mm. One very knowledgeable mechanic friend believed that they were parts on Type 4's, although he couldn't nail down what they were.

So I thought I'd post photos of them here, and maybe one of you knowledgeable Type 4 fans might recognize them and let me (and all of us) know what these are, what they fit and do, and how many were used on a T4.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anyone? Anyone?

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone know what these are for on a Type 4? Reply with quote

They are listed as harmonic dampers. They go around the 10mm through bolts that clamp the case together. They stop these long bolts from vibrating and wearing the case or loosening the nuts.

Part # 28 in the diagram above.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone know what these are for on a Type 4? Reply with quote

Wow! Fantastic, and speedy reply Ray. Thanks again for solving my mystery. I don't have a Type 4 motor anymore (I had one long ago in a '79 Westy), so I imagined that they were some sort of seat or upholstery part. According to your info, six are needed per Type 4 motor, and I have exactly six of them in this parts pile. I guess I'll post 'em in a classified ad so they can do someone else some good, as I don't imagine that I'll be owning a T4 motor anytime soon.

Again, thanks for sharing the info, and shedding light on my mystery parts...

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: