Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Don't sign up for aftermarket warranty companies
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Don't sign up for aftermarket warranty companies Reply with quote

Don't ever sign up or pay for one of those "aftermarket " warranty companies. PERIOD! Tell your kids not to, tell your family not to, tell your friends not to. They're not worth the paper they're written on. If the company doesn't go out of business before you can claim on it, they'll try to find some way to weasel out of covering repairs.
I felt I had to rant about this because of the latest one to screw a customer. The engine failed due to lack of oil pressure 19 days after he purchased the vehicle from a used car lot. The warranty company's first angle out was "pre-existing condition" , their final angle out was since it could not be proven that the engine failed due to an oil pressure issue then they would not cover it. The cams are blued & galled, the timing chain broke due to a failed tensioner (they shatter if they get loose due to no pressure.). Yes, it bent valves too. The warranty company requires that the customer does the repairs necessary to prove that the oil pump caused the failure. Not a sludge issue, not a clogged pick-up tube, the clown even suggested a bad pressure sensor.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: DON'T DO IT!!! Reply with quote

I had exact opposite experience using a company that worked together with my credit union at work. I bought the warranty to cover repairs for a truck I bought for my Dad , yes he's an old guy and does not wrench on cars anymore. He had no problems using the warranty. Another time I was offered a warranty through a third party directly from Toyota. I wished I had purchased it later after a 700 dollar catalytic converter went south. My advice don't throw the baby out with the bath water, deal with reputable sources. To make a blanket statement saying they are all bad is not correct.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: DON'T DO IT!!! Reply with quote

They're not in the business to lose money, what did you pay for the warranty vs how much did they pay to cover the repairs? There's a good chance you could have paid for the repairs 2-3 times for what you paid for the policy.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: DON'T DO IT!!! Reply with quote

Small Claims Court may be an answer. In California, for example, it's like $75 to file and you can go for damages as high as $10K now. Just filing on them may get them to the bargaining table.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: DON'T DO IT!!! Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Small Claims Court may be an answer. In California, for example, it's like $75 to file and you can go for damages as high as $10K now. Just filing on them may get them to the bargaining table.

Not really my problem, I told the customer he should try to deal with the dealer first & then lawyer up if he doesn't get anywhere there. I just hate seeing people constantly get screwed by these vultures. Its like payday lenders decided that warranty companies were a lucrative business model & then hired all the scummiest debt collectors to handle their call centers.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: DON'T DO IT!!! Reply with quote

The poor kid is in the Navy too, I told him to contact JAG if he couldn't get anywhere with the dealer or warranty company.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: DON'T DO IT!!! Reply with quote

A friend had a bad experience, but this is about 20 years ago.

His Saturn blew an engine and he had bought the extended warranty. It was even within the base manufacturer's warranty! They tried to pass it off as lack of maintenance. This guy did his own oil changes every 3K and they then tried to challenge him to produce receipts. He had many, but not all (Who does when you buy in bulk?) So several of us dug out OUR receipts and gave them to him to fill in the gaps.

Then they tried to blame each other... Saturn said file a claim with the extended warranty folks, and vice versa.

Finally, I went to a DIFFERENT Saturn dealer, at lunch when the regular counter guy was out, and the nice naïve secretary showed me their TSB book (all paper back then) after I lied and said I had an appointment with the service guy to look at them.

I found out there was a TSB about the plastic buttons used to set cam endplay having a habit of disintegrating and trashing the whole engine as the pieces fought each other. I quick made a copy and bugged out.

When the friend showed it to HIS dealer the guy got all red-faced and demanded to know where he got it. He just said "I have my sources."

Next day he got a call from a zone manager (who had been ignoring HIS calls) volunteering a brand new engine.

It shouldn't take this kind of effort...
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: DON'T DO IT!!! Reply with quote

Agreed, don't do it. Insurance is about pooling risk, a group of people each pay a small amount in to a pool that pays back if a rare, catastrophic event happens. For providing this service, the insurance company makes a nice profit. For your house, you have to do it, the price of replacing the house is just too high (and the mortgage company insists on it). Auto collision as well, if you buy new-ish cars. But for everything else, you should self-insure. You might take an occasional loss, but over a lifetime, things average out, and you keep the profit that would otherwise go to the insurance company.

When it comes to car extended warranties, where you add the huge margins they earn and fat commissions they pay to the sales people, along with the bullshit they put you through to file a claim if they are even still in business, it's a no-brainer.
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: DON'T DO IT!!! Reply with quote

Zeen wrote:
Agreed, don't do it. Insurance is about pooling risk, a group of people each pay a small amount in to a pool that pays back if a rare, catastrophic event happens. For providing this service, the insurance company makes a nice profit. For your house, you have to do it, the price of replacing the house is just too high (and the mortgage company insists on it). Auto collision as well, if you buy new-ish cars. But for everything else, you should self-insure. You might take an occasional loss, but over a lifetime, things average out, and you keep the profit that would otherwise go to the insurance company.

When it comes to car extended warranties, where you add the huge margins they earn and fat commissions they pay to the sales people, along with the bullshit they put you through to file a claim if they are even still in business, it's a no-brainer.
What about health insurance?

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: DON'T DO IT!!! Reply with quote

There's quite a few health insurance policies that aren't worth the paper they're written on either. I went to the ER with a shard of metal in my eye, by the time an intern saw me, it had worked loose . The insurer tried to deny the claim saying it was a pre-existing condition.

Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: DON'T DO IT!!! Reply with quote

notchback wrote:
Zeen wrote:

What about health insurance?

Trying to avoid politics here. If you can sign up after the catastrophic event has already happened, it ain't insurance. Laughing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: DON'T DO IT!!! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
There's quite a few health insurance policies that aren't worth the paper they're written on either. I went to the ER with a shard of metal in my eye, by the time an intern saw me, it had worked loose . The insurer tried to deny the claim saying it was a pre-existing condition.

So this is your thread and you can twist it as you see fit. My observation if you deal with reputable sources, have a positive attitude, don't assume everyone's out to get you, you'll get better results, sounds naive but it works. That's not to say there aren't scammers out there, it gets back to reputable businesses. Do your homework check references,the BBB and state attorney general. We always try to do business with local vendors who have been around awhile and have a proven track record. Sorry to hear you've had bad service where you are, on the health care thing I was in the emergency room for 4 hrs recently had a shot and two tests, bill was 8000 dollars. Thank God I had insurance, my out of pocket was 700. Who should I vilify, insurance company, drug co. The hospital?
This thread could dovetail into your other thread of remember when. I remember when I didn't get screwed going to the doctor or getting a prescription.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Don't sign up for aftermarket warranty companies Reply with quote

Hey Zundfolge1432, what was the cost of the warranty policies that you purchased vs the repairs that they covered?

Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Don't sign up for aftermarket warranty companies Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Hey Zundfolge1432, what was the cost of the warranty policies that you purchased vs the repairs that they covered?

As you know they usually have three options and they always try to sell you the Cadillac plan up front that covers everything. I went for the mid grade plan
And as I recall it was around 1000 dollars. It was offered through my credit union at work. The two or three times my Dad used it he had no trouble processing through a ford dealership and the a couple of independent repair shops. All in he probably racked up 7 to 8 hundred in repairs but here's the kicker, he is and was at the time elderly, he lives 700 miles away so I can't come to his aid all the time. He bought peace of mind knowing the out of factory warranty truck was covered. In this instance the warranty company made money selling the policy,he was glad to trade money for security.
In the next instance I bought another late model truck and was offered the extended warranty through Toyota. Turns out one of the cats went bad and it's built onto the exhaust manifold, there's a right and left, lucky me only one crapped out. Now I'm hearing a squeaky throw out bearing on the six speed tranny which has to come down to get to. These two repairs would have paid for the insurance extended warranty on this truck. I'll be eating the cost instead. Insurance of any kind is a gamble, you are hoping you'll never use it but it's there if you need it. Wife worked in that industry 20 years retired now, it's the one with the little dog for a mascot. I could tell you some stories.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Don't sign up for aftermarket warranty companies Reply with quote

Your cats should be covered by the manufacturers warranty, dictated by the fed gov for 8 yrs/80,000 miles, I don't know if yours qualifies but I thought I'd give you the heads up, several of the dealers try to sweep it under the carpet until it's out.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Don't sign up for aftermarket warranty companies Reply with quote

I never buy any extended warranties; these are big moneymakers for companies that sell them, so the odds are overwhelming in their favor that they will come out ahead. This goes also for TVs, etc. Consumer Reports and similar advise against buying such warranties too.

Local radio mechanic says he has to fight with such companies to get stuff covered, like a cooling repair may be considered not covered because a transmission service was not done.

Better off to put such funds matching the cost of such warranty into a separate bank account.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Don't sign up for aftermarket warranty companies Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

Better off to put such funds matching the cost of such warranty into a separate bank account.

BINGO! That way you get to keep control of the funds & can use it towards the repair as you see fit & you won't lose it when the policy expires or the company folds or changes names.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Don't sign up for aftermarket warranty companies Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Your cats should be covered by the manufacturers warranty, dictated by the fed gov for 8 yrs/80,000 miles, I don't know if yours qualifies but I thought I'd give you the heads up, several of the dealers try to sweep it under the carpet until it's out.

You are right and I'm going to check that, I'd forgotten that all the pollution stuff has a longer warranty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Don't sign up for aftermarket warranty companies Reply with quote

EPA federal law says 8 years or 80k miles. Truck was just over 8 with 94k. I'm aware of the consumer reports article we are long time subscribers. Not everything is black and white in the two instances of buying extended plans I bought one and they made a few hundred. Next I didn't buy and it would have paid, these are real world experiences, mine. Not some bullshit one size fits all statement. Let your conscience guide you, older folks seem to know the value of insurance, for my 89 year old Dad I'd do it again, he's worth it. Very Happy
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Don't sign up for aftermarket warranty companies Reply with quote

I did have an added warranty help me on my Prius. The HID headlight bulbs and controllers had problems that took a while to become apparent. Replacing both sides was a cost of about $2200. It was covered, making my investment worthwhile. I don't remember the amount, but something like $500 seems about right from memory. It wasn't the hybrid system, it was all the electronics that scared me into it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: