Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 bug restoration for my wife
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
71bugproject
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: 71 bug restoration for my wife Reply with quote

well, first off...hello to everyone! I am new to the forum also,but love everything about it. This will be the restoration story of a 71 super beetle that I bought for my wife. I purchased it for her in Feb of 2016 and I drove it home(about 6 miles) and it was a rough 6 miles mind you, it ran rough even though the PO had rebuilt the engine 2 months prior to a 1641cc.
After the wife looked at some photos...and knew my background restoring a couple back in the early 80"s (man, that was a lonnngg time ago...lol) she wanted a complete tear down and as much new or rebuilt that I could put on it, I told her it could be up to a two year project and she said as long as it kept me busy she didnt care.this is how it looked when purchased.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

then I started the tear down,

I will be posting updates with pics as I progress!!

Last edited by 71bugproject on Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
71bugproject
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 bug restoration for my wife Reply with quote

Well, another Saturday with great weather...really wanted to get out and ride and get more break in miles on the motorcycle...but, the ole vdub called again and I answered. I got the Transmission and cv joints pulled today

and also removed the two rear floor pan inserts that PO had put in with only sheet metal screws

I also got the sway bar off,pedal cluster and emergency brake assembly

I got the axle nuts off finally,I used an old bed frame I had and attached it to the hub with the lug nuts like I saw on youtube...it worked perfectly!! then came the right axle nut, not so lucky, I had sprayed penetrating fluid on it 2 days before and it still broke the angle iron bed frame. so I went and got some 1/4" flat stock I had (about 4 ft long)and drilled it for the lug nuts and all I did was bend the handle on my 3/4" drive rachet

so I broke out my grinder and ground down the castle nut to the axle threads being careful not to ruin the threads...hit a couple of times with a chisel to make it separate....put the rachet and bar back on and off it came
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: 71 bug restoration for my wife Reply with quote

Next time buy one of these, every VW owner should have one in their tool box. Use a 5 pound sledge to hit the flat and it break even the worst nuts free. The nut is generally in good enough shape to reuse.

You can get from most VW suppliers.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: