Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Correct spark plugs
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cecil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Correct spark plugs Reply with quote

Running NGK BPR5EIX Iridium. 14mm X 3/4. Pulled plugs to read, and found what appeared to be a few bee specks and silver smudges on the insulator. The color is lite gray, ground strap has a ring right at the turn. The end of the threads are med/dark gray, And does not rub off. Concerned about the specks, should I be?
914 2054cc case with Type 4 heads, 41 X 35, 7.5 cr
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Correct spark plugs Reply with quote

cecil wrote:
Running NGK BPR5EIX Iridium. 14mm X 3/4. Pulled plugs to read, and found what appeared to be a few bee specks and silver smudges on the insulator. The color is lite gray, ground strap has a ring right at the turn. The end of the threads are med/dark gray, And does not rub off. Concerned about the specks, should I be?
914 2054cc case with Type 4 heads, 41 X 35, 7.5 cr

How many miles? Post a picture.

In general....specks on ceramic are from fuel additives or actual fuel splatter from poorly atomized fuel at warm up.

Is this in a bus ? Fuel injected?....I am assuming a bus with that low compression. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cecil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct spark plugs Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Engine in my Thing w/HPMX 40's. 32 venturi, 135,55,200, 5000mi
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct spark plugs Reply with quote

Hard to tell much from the picture. ...but you are running rich. Ray
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct spark plugs Reply with quote

what plug gap? Looks huge. I run .028" in everything.

I'd also consider a "6" heat range. Specs are also often evidence of detonation.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct spark plugs Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
what plug gap? Looks huge. I run .028" in everything.

I'd also consider a "6" heat range. Specs are also often evidence of detonation.

Its just the bad picture. Iridium electrodea are roughly 0.5mm diameter and would be invisible in that picture.

Also....is there some reason you chose a "booster gap" style spark plug? The "X" in the part number denotes a booster gap design...which is an anti-fouling feature......but sometimes doesn't play well with low voltage systems.

So....what ignition system are you running.

And yes....I agree with john.....I would use a 6 heat range in NGK which = a 7 in Bosch. The 5 jn NGK is an 8 in Bosch. Ray
cecil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct spark plugs Reply with quote

Pertronix in a good Bosch SVDA. Just got plugs suggested by the local import parts store for a 914. Suggest something that you feel would be better. Sounds like you have a handle on plugs.
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct spark plugs Reply with quote

With a standard type coil and such, I probably would go with some copper core with a projected tip. Of whatever brand and heat suits you.

I have the bpr6eix-11 plugs. Same, but differnt heat and a larger gap.
But.... i am running crank trigger and ford coils, big cam.

Like stated earlier, not to sure of the booster gap for your app. But other than that good plugs.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct spark plugs Reply with quote

DeathBySnuSnu wrote:
With a standard type coil and such, I probably would go with some copper core with a projected tip. Of whatever brand and heat suits you.

I have the bpr6eix-11 plugs. Same, but differnt heat and a larger gap.
But.... i am running crank trigger and ford coils, big cam.

Like stated earlier, not to sure of the booster gap for your app. But other than that good plugs.

Yes....crank fire and COP or a capacitive ignition....with booster gap would be fantastic. Really....booster gaps work great with any modern ignition.....late 70s snd on with a bit more voltage than the 18kv of a stock vw coil.

If the OP has a stockish coil.....the plugs he has are a great "type" of plug....meaning the iridium is superb.....but I would avoid the booster gap unless you have at minimum a Pertronix 40kv coil. The heat range......you fould probably live with but a 7 in Bosch or a 6 in NGK would be better.

See if they have something along the lines of BP6EI.....in that type without the "X".....or if you have a better than stock coil...just move to a 6 heat range and you should be fine. Ray
cecil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct spark plugs Reply with quote

Ray,
I have a Pertronix coil. Can't find any one that has BP6EI's, so what is plan B?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct spark plugs Reply with quote

cecil wrote:
Ray,
I have a Pertronix coil. Can't find any one that has BP6EI's, so what is plan B?

You will be fine with that coil and those type of plugs and the "X" listing....but go to the next beat range which is a 6. Look for BP6EIX. Ray
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Correct spark plugs Reply with quote

Be careful, there are many combinations out there. I still run copper wires, w8ac plugs, Bosch coil. Gapped big, to accommodate the poor fuel of today.
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Correct spark plugs Reply with quote

I followed the info from this write up
http://www.braigasen.com/howtoread.htm

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: